What goes on with the front air vents when driving?

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
So what happens with the front air vents when we are driving.....and what does it achieve?

I don't think I have seen this mentioned anywhere on here previously. ?
Sponsored

Jiggins

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Green Mini Cooper SE, Jet Black GTS ST
Country flag
Taken from here:

https://jalopnik.com/an-extremely-detailed-look-at-the-porsche-taycans-engin-1837802533

Porsche Taycan What goes on with the front air vents when driving? 1647200775874

In the center of the car, what appears to be a grille opening is there to house the radar and camera. The tall openings below the headlights are there to create an “air curtain” around the wheel openings to guide air around and not into the wheel housings, which are filled with either 245 or 265-section tires (the rears are either 285s or 305s).

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
There are flaps covering the front of the two radiators. Normally they are open – both when driving and usually when parked as well.

However, when driving – if the cooling system decides it does not need outside air from flowing over the radiators – it will close the flaps (this is often called active air) – to improve aerodynamics.

Generally speaking its more efficient to have the flaps closed.

Porsche Taycan What goes on with the front air vents when driving? 1647201874838

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
On a recent trip to Norway in a snow storm, the front hot completely covered In a thick,layer of compacted snow. The front camera, the front radar had 5 cm of snow on them and obviously did not work at all. With that design it all seemed to scoop up all the snow. And the rear also had a huge layer of snow on it, covering all the light bar and rear lights! I turned on the rear fog lights so there would be a red glow to show my white car. Our son in law did not see much of us in that ondition apart from two rec dots.

Since it was between minus 5 to minus 12 C outside, I had expected these from vents to be completely closed. My battery temperature struggled to get above 22 C, whilst it normally runs at 30 C? Is there a problem with my vents closing, since I have never seen them closed?

Cna anyone share a photo of the vents being closed? MY20 Turbo.
Sponsored