Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
I considered the powered charge port doors as our e-Tron has a version of them and they are cool. I decided against because:

a) My understanding that the vent is blocked by the powered door mechanism, my thought being that Porsche wouldn't have designed the car with open vents for no reason. Having them blocked by a convenience feature seemed like an afterthought marketing decision rather than an aerodynamic consideration.
b) $640
c) I like the look better without the black strip.
d) I assumed the manual doors would be more trouble free although apparently folks have had issues with the manual doors too.

Maybe I'll somehow regret not having them, but I don't think so.
Sponsored

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag

nicks-taycan

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've noticed that Suncoast sells a product to close them off and prevent debris from going through the vent. From the description:

"This is a set of front wheel well liners for Taycan or Taycan 4S models with the manually opening charging doors. These wheel well liners will close-off the air duct, and prevent air from passing over the driver and passenger doors. duct which passes air from the front wheel house through the fender and over the front doors. This duct is closed on Turbo and Turbo S models, but is open on Taycan and Taycan 4S models. This can be a DIY installation if you're handy, just some bolts and clips to do the job, but it would be easiest if the car was on a lift and the wheel is removed. Install at your own risk."​
I'm wrapping the car in PPF, so am holding off, but it's an interesting option.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I've noticed that Suncoast sells a product to close them off and prevent debris from going through the vent. From the description:

"This is a set of front wheel well liners for Taycan or Taycan 4S models with the manually opening charging doors. These wheel well liners will close-off the air duct, and prevent air from passing over the driver and passenger doors. duct which passes air from the front wheel house through the fender and over the front doors. This duct is closed on Turbo and Turbo S models, but is open on Taycan and Taycan 4S models. This can be a DIY installation if you're handy, just some bolts and clips to do the job, but it would be easiest if the car was on a lift and the wheel is removed. Install at your own risk."​
I'm wrapping the car in PPF, so am holding off, but it's an interesting option.
Why would you want to block the aerodynamically beneficial air flow if it is not compensated for by the comfort of automatic charging doors?

RRVV17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, GLS580
Country flag
I’ve checked many demos. Fender vent has louvers if the charge port is manual, but is solid with power port.
You are correct. It's not about which model, it's whether you have the power vs manual charge port doors. I believe there were a couple of other older threads on this as well

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
There is a motor for the automated charge port that is about the size of a D cell flashlight. This motor is oriented vertically just in front of the vent, and would block most airflow through the vent, so Porsche just covers it.

nicks-taycan

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Why would you want to block the aerodynamically beneficial air flow if it is not compensated for by the comfort of automatic charging doors?
Tire and wheel well debris headed straight for your paint. I’m not going to purchase this product, but I am keen to fashion a small screen that doesn’t block airflow but will block road debris. Otherwise it seems paint damage is likely.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
Tire and wheel well debris headed straight for your paint. I’m not going to purchase this product, but I am keen to fashion a small screen that doesn’t block airflow but will block road debris. Otherwise it seems paint damage is likely.
I've also been thinking of doing something with screens. Expanding my planned front end PPF to the doors is another option.

I've been making the same assumption that road debris coming through the vents could theoretically be a problem. Does anyone have real world experience with this? Is it actually an issue?

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I've also been thinking of doing something with screens. Expanding my planned front end PPF to the doors is another option.

I've been making the same assumption that road debris coming through the vents could theoretically be a problem. Does anyone have real world experience with this? Is it actually an issue?
In the fall, I noticed light debris such as fragments of leaves accumulating in the vents themselves, but I have not noticed any heavier material coming through that could damage the door paint.
Sponsored