What happens after 3 years?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
About two minutes after I read your post, I logged on to myporsche website and got this:
1692273393840.png

:CWL:
Yep, our matrix overlords are skimping on hardware upgrades, so the software has to optimize around simulation topics. So if one person does something, that topic is already being simulated, so might as well reuse it to other people. Matrix software makers thought they were being clever by reusing simulation context for humans separated by oceans, but the internet is screwing with that optimization algorithm by interconnecting all humans in real time!

These optimizations also explain why the world is getting dumber as the population increases - simulating more and more humans on the same hardware constraints.

So what is it going to be, blue pill or red pill?

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Maybe Porsche doesn't value telemetry data, or maybe they haven't yet developed proper telemetry collection, kind of like OTA, they have it but it's very primitive. Maybe they feel they need to charge for all app functions because they know they don't have any advanced functionality to charge for. And, I'm sure they figure premium priced cars have owners willing to pay premium prices for basic features. IMO, the functionality they offer is not worth $30 a month.
Porsche made their name with endurance racing, and "telemetry" is a key aspect (like engine revs, brake temps or pressure - they essentially invented TPMS). I'm not doubting for a second their appreciation of the significance of telemetry; I'm also not doubting their ability to put a price (steep, at times) for _anything_ they do/offer to the customer.

The trip data includes actual energy consumption, and I imagine this alone would be worth collecting from all their cars, even if the cx stops paying for that subscription. (It would be a real world indicator of battery health, when coupled with charging telemetry.) So I'd suspect the upload remains in place (and they'll eat the cost of transmission from the car to the server), it's the customer's access to that data that will be blocked.

The servers managing the cars are up anyways, so incremental cost to allow them to communicate with the app is negligible.
No disagreement on this being overpriced. But it's a perfect exemplification of the Porsche mentality - if you see 'value' in it, you'll want to pay for it. We'll do it 10% better* than the other guy, and charge 100% more.

Edit: *I hasten to add that this reflects Porsche's own point of view, and so 'better' is relative, vague etc.

ben1

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla,porsche
Country flag
£270 is cheap by Porsche standards.

But my wife's BMW just passed it's 3rd birthday and the Connected Drive subscription for that is about £60 pa iirc.
It was c£90 pa in my M2.

I am getting a bit pi55edoff with Porsche tax on 'everything'.
It's not a matter of affordability, but I think the consumer experience you get from the brand is actually worse than many other manufacturers.

So much so, that as much as I love my Taycan, it's probably my first and last Porsche.
I have the same feeling. I like my Taycan. And I do not regret buying it. But it will surely be my first and last Porsche.
It is nice to experience a very nice, expensive car. It is a very good car. But it just not good enough to justify the price. There are too many things that are better in far cheaper cars.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
No disagreement on this being overpriced. But it's a perfect exemplification of the Porsche mentality - if you see 'value' in it, you'll want to pay for it. We'll do it 10% better* than the other guy, and charge 100% more.

Edit: *I hasten to add that this reflects Porsche's own point of view, and so 'better' is relative, vague etc.
10% better according to what metrics? If, as you say, they are in fact all about proper telemetry, they should have quality metrics quantifying the app service quality, reliability, etc and that should show "10% better", no? They'd also need to get those metrics of their competition since "better" has to always be qualified with "than what/who".

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
When I first got my Taycan there were lots of subscriptions included. Mostly they seemed to relate to PCM and app related functions. And obviously the 3 year Ionity subscription that is pretty useless to me because there aren’t any Ionity charge stations nearby.

My question is - what stops to function after 3 years of ownership? And how much do Porsche want to charge you (annually I presume) to keep it functioning? Has anyone had a Taycan for long enough to know?
I hit the 3-year mark earlier this month. The three years of no cost Connect ended and the renewal charge for one year of service in the U.S. was $319, plus local tax. No other renewal charges as other optional software was secured with vehicle purchase.
Sponsored