Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
Official specs show 407 litres rear trunk for the 4S & 4S Performance Plus but 366 litres for the Turbo & Turbo S.
Sponsored

FUBAR

First Name
Christer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6 V10, Viper RT/10, Buick GNX, GMC Syclone & Typhoon, 96 Impala SS
Country flag
That is correct. The Turbo and Turbo S have bigger engines.

OP
OP
Persuader

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes I realise that but Porsche state that all of the Taycan rear engines are contained within the same size housing.
See Porsche Taycan 4S full review autogefuel at the 1:04:00 point.

So I would like to understand this.

FUBAR

First Name
Christer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS6 V10, Viper RT/10, Buick GNX, GMC Syclone & Typhoon, 96 Impala SS
Country flag
Yes I realise that but Porsche state that all of the Taycan rear engines are contained within the same size housing.

Yes the 4S engine is identical, except it is shorter and has a 300 amp inverter instead of 600 amp. Hence more boot space under the floor cover.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Official specs show 407 litres rear trunk for the 4S & 4S Performance Plus but 366 litres for the Turbo & Turbo S.
I read that choosing the Boss or Burmester sound systems limit trunk space due to the install of the subwoofer. I had never seen specs on how much it did limit. But that may explain some as Turbo and Turbo S have Boss as base where 4S has a 150W Porsche sound system as base. But if you add the Premium Package then it adds the 700W Boss system.

There is a larger motor too, but I would be surprised if they changed the floor layout for that change. Their motors are quite small in diameter, super dense with the hairpin windings.

OP
OP
Persuader

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes the 4S engine is identical, except it is shorter and has a 300 amp inverter instead of 600 amp. Hence more boot space under the floor cover.
Must be because of the smaller inverter then (which is outside of the motor casing) as the casing for the shorter 4S motor is the same size as the longer Turbo motor.

OP
OP
Persuader

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
ron_b
Maybe, but I wouldn't have thought the subwoofer would rob 41 litres.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Must be because of the smaller inverter then (which is outside of the motor casing) as the casing for the shorter 4S motor is the same size as the longer Turbo motor.
I am not so sure about the inverter theory since:

The electric machine, transmission and pulse-controlled inverter are each combined into a compact drive module. The modules have the highest power density (kW per litre of package space) of all electric powertrains on the market today.
(newsroom, porsche.com)

It seems that it would then be in the same casing as mentioned earlier. It makes sense since it may make manufacturing and repairs easier too.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
ron_b
Maybe, but I wouldn't have thought the subwoofer would rob 41 litres.
Well, I must say that I didn't think much of the size difference, just identifying messaging dealing with space. Yes 41 liters is huge. I am amazed how they reconfigured so much.

Definitely want Tesla Bjorn to do the banana box test on the 4S. ;)

OP
OP
Persuader

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Actually just realised that all rear inverters on the rear are the same for all Taycan models.
What a mystery as to why the 4S models have a 41 litre bigger rear trunk/boot.

Last edited:

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, Tesla Model S (for sale)
Country flag
Actually just released that all rear inverters on the rear are the same for all Taycan models.
What a mystery as to why the 4S models have a 41 litre bigger rear trunk/boot.
Could it be that Turbo and Turbo S come with Bose has default, which has a sub, but the basic spec of 4S doesn't?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Could it be that Turbo and Turbo S come with Bose has default, which has a sub, but the basic spec of 4S doesn't?
Yep, that's all I could come up with. Talked about above in post #5, also the inverter and motor casing was covered in the Dec 11th video from Autogefühl posted as #3 above.
Porsche Taycan Bigger Trunk in the 4S 1580161817915

Last edited:

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
So now I did the conversation @Reg and 41 liters is only 1.45 cuft. So I really think that they simply had to raise the rear platform for the subwoofer. I agree it's a shame for anyone getting Boss or Burmester as I am with Premium package, so I hope that the sound is worth it. :)

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So now I did the conversation @Reg and 41 liters is only 1.45 cuft. So I really think that they simply had to raise the rear platform for the subwoofer. I agree it's a shame for anyone getting Boss or Burmester as I am with Premium package, so I hope that the sound is worth it. :)
yeah, I agree. so I can see this being the difference, along with a bit of packaging and placement overhead.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have gotten a confirmation from a Porsche representative on what causes the 41 Liter difference in trunk space for base 4S vs a Turbo. It is the premium sound system, either Bose or Burmester. The space is from a deeper compartment under the false floor in trunk lost by the subwoofer.

Thus if you get the premium package, like me, then you will have the 366L vs 407L of space. But as it's only under the false floor it may not matter so much.
Sponsored