Close up view of headlights - LED-Matrix PDLS+: black vs blue?

vroomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, MB GLS 550
Country flag
Finalizing my GTS spec before freeze. Gentian Blue.

Trying to understand the aesthetic difference between the standard LED-Matrix Black PDLS+ headlights vs Glacier Blue.

I can't tell the difference very well on the configurator images.
Dealer doesn't have a vehicle for me to physically look at both options.

Does anyone have photos they can share of both PDLS+ types so I can do a side by side comparison?
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Finalizing my GTS spec before freeze. Gentian Blue.

Trying to understand the aesthetic difference between the standard LED-Matrix Black PDLS+ headlights vs Glacier Blue.

I can't tell the difference very well on the configurator images.
Dealer doesn't have a vehicle for me to physically look at both options.

Does anyone have photos they can share of both PDLS+ types so I can do a side by side comparison?
The design of the lights is identical and the only blue parts are the four led daytime running lights in each headlight. Default is cool white. Pretty obvious and absolutely not worth the expense or swap from black or standard IMHO.

Pictures on the main Taycan website and Google is your friend.

Porsche Taycan Close up view of headlights - LED-Matrix PDLS+: black vs blue? 20221202_083803

Porsche Taycan Close up view of headlights - LED-Matrix PDLS+: black vs blue? 20221202_083831

Howie

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS STCayenne 992GT3 Ferrari488spider 993C2
Country flag
I have the blue on my GTS ST along with the rear light bar text in blue and it was a no cost option on the GTS. matches the Dolomite body colour well.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
This is the most confusing option for sure. The difference seems to be in the following areas (plastic trims color around the daylight lenses and glass lens itself) and I could not confirm these even having a look at the actual cars on the lot recently:

- Standard Matrix appears to have Silver plastic Trim and White Glass
- Glacier Matrix appears to have Silver plastic Trim and Glacier Glass but look White when looking directly at them and Blue when looking at the angle as you approach the car
- Black Matrix appears to have Black plastic Trim and Black Glass but I was not able to see one with lights on to see if the head on view or approach view is different as in narrower look for the daylights

I chose Glacier as an upgrade from Standard on a Turbo build as I liked how it looks Standard White at regular viewing but only Blue at an angle approach view as light comes through the blue glass elements.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This is the most confusing option for sure. The difference seems to be in the following areas (plastic trims color around the daylight lenses and glass lens itself) and I could not confirm these even having a look at the actual cars on the lot recently:

- Standard Matrix appears to have Silver plastic Trim and White Glass
- Glacier Matrix appears to have Silver plastic Trim and Glacier Glass but look White when looking directly at them and Blue when looking at the angle as you approach the car
- Black Matrix appears to have Black plastic Trim and Black Glass but I was not able to see one with lights on to see if the head on view or approach view is different as in narrower look for the daylights

I chose Glacier as an upgrade from Standard on a Turbo build as I liked how it looks Standard White at regular viewing but only Blue at an angle approach view as light comes through the blue glass elements.
The black matrix and standard matrix are identical and only the housing is black as opposed to dark grey. The blue matrix (which I think looks awful IMHO) has gone for an ice blue look to the day time running lights.

All matrix housings are different to the standard LEDs.

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
The black matrix and standard matrix are identical and only the housing is black as opposed to dark grey. The blue matrix (which I think looks awful IMHO) has gone for an ice blue look to the day time running lights.

All matrix housings are different to the standard LEDs.

That was not my experience last week looking at Ice Grey with Glacier headlight. I walked a good distance away from it and leveled my eye site to the headlights to see if I could see any Glacier blue in them and there was NONE. They looked perfectly LED white. However, then when I started approaching it from left of right and look at the headlights from a top down angle, only then, I could see the Glacier blue where the white light passes through the Glacier lenses that appear to float on top of the white LEDs.

Valen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Eva Ribelle RS
Country flag
i got the blue matrix. To be honest, the upcharge for being "blue" isn't really worth it.

Your money is better invested elsewhere ;)

Clod Reed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Neptune blue Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
It’s a free option on a gts in the uk …so the only decision is wether you like or not ….

looks good on a blue car

Porsche Taycan Close up view of headlights - LED-Matrix PDLS+: black vs blue? 9D8DBB9B-007E-4E81-9662-F949B626849C
Porsche Taycan Close up view of headlights - LED-Matrix PDLS+: black vs blue? DBE9B4E1-543A-4876-B8DC-876489B8053A

Last edited:

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
That was not my experience last week looking at Ice Grey with Glacier headlight. I walked a good distance away from it and leveled my eye site to the headlights to see if I could see any Glacier blue in them and there was NONE. They looked perfectly LED white. However, then when I started approaching it from left of right and look at the headlights from a top down angle, only then, I could see the Glacier blue where the white light passes through the Glacier lenses that appear to float on top of the white LEDs.
That's right, head on the light has to be white by law per region

NFBJRD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Taycan GTS
Country flag
The attached image isn’t of my car but I think it (a) looks amazing and (b) shows what the blue headlights look like on a silver car, for anyone interested in that.

Porsche Taycan Close up view of headlights - LED-Matrix PDLS+: black vs blue? 53C06B49-3EAD-4E08-A87F-C022FF7C0179

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
i got the blue matrix. To be honest, the upcharge for being "blue" isn't really worth it.

Your money is better invested elsewhere ;)
I agree with this 100%

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
my 2020 Taycan Turbo is Gentian Blue - I don't like the blue lights vs. the darker gentian blue - if I had it to do over again I would've not done the blue tint - maybe with white/silver - but not with the dark blue…

but it is purely an aesthetic decision.
Sponsored

Last edited: