2020 Taycan U.S. Pricing For Turbo and Turbo S

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I can't rationalize the price delta to a Tesla. To spend $200K on a car, I need to be obsessed with it. The Taycan doesn't stir that level of passion. My wife has long wanted a Tesla, but I sold her on a Taycan. I'm not going to spend $125K on a base-model Taycan when the 3-motor Model S will likely compete on paper with the Turbo S, but at the price of the GTS. Does not compute.
the 3 motor Tesla won’t be available before November 2020. And it’ll feel like, drive like, and have the customization like a Tesla. It’ll also be a higher priced trim than the current model S. My wag is $130K in line with the previous ludicrous mode pricing. It will likely perform considerably better than the current generation of taycan.

if that all sounds good to you, then sure ?
Sponsored

DRR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
Just to put some volume numbers into this discussion. Historically the P version of Model S has represented 5-6% of sales. That’s 2500-3000 per year worldwide. My 2012 P85 was about $110K. My 2015 P85D with Insane Mode was $130K. P100D with Ludicrous got close to $150K for a short time. But Tesla has been dropping list prices since then and now a new P100DL is $100K.

I see a lot of Porsche’s in Silicon Valley, including about one GT3 per week. But I’d guesstimate that the Turbo and Turbo S trims represent 10% or less of the 911/Panamera/cayennes sold. And those are at or below the price point of the available Taycan trims.

Given these two volume data points there is no way Porsche will sell even 10K of the top Taycan trims. The prevailing sentiment on Rennlist and Reddit discussion forums is the same as here - pricing is too high, I’m getting my deposit back. Or at least waiting for pricing/specs for the 4S.

IMO Porsche execs got carried away with the enthusiasm and deposits for the Taycan and forgot that those were based on their communicated price points which were much lower.
Tesla and government regulations forced the main stream car manufacturers to invest in EV's. They were quite content to continue to earn high margins on past investments in ICE technology. Porsche pricing is designed to manage the shift towrds EV's, while not hurting more profitable ICE sales. If Porsche would introduce, say, a 400 HP Taycan that looks and drives like the Taycan Turbo at, say, a sub $100,000 price point, they would cannibalize Panamera and potentially 911 sales. At this price point, they would also compete more effectively with Tesla, but I don't believe that is their primary goal.