cityhpper

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4. 21" summers, 20" winters.
Country flag
While I've been very happy with my two sets of 20" OE (rims+tyres), I recently felt the urge to try out a set of 21"'s as well. I guess the main motivation was some improved aestics, but I was also genuinly curious to see what going a step up in tyre size would do to the over all driving feel as well as consumption.

My main concern was increased noise at highway speeds, which has been reported as an issue by some Taycan owners. While I used to be a bit concerned about range for my Taycan 4 CT (I came from a Model S Raven), the level of fast DC-chargers across the Nordics makes it a breeze to travel longer stretches even with EVs that are somewhat thirsty. So, consumtion really not a big concern for my usage pattern anymore.

The rims/wheels were chosen because I liked their look. This time, I wanted something a bit different from the OE design. They are from GMP (Italian brand) and the model is called Rebel. Specs are 100 % identical to the 21" OE wheels when it comes to size and offset. Quality seems good but time will tell, I guess.

When I had decided on a non-OE wheel, I reasoned I might as well step away from the narrow path of NFO-tyres also. Checking out reviews and YouTube content, I quickly homed in on the Hankook iON evo tyres. They appeared to be designed acoording to well-founded technical principles, so should be a good choice regarding noise and rolling resistance. Wear/longetivity remains to be seen, though.

I have only covered about 300 kilometers so far, but they seem no more noisy than my winter tyres (Pirelli) when driven on dry asphalt. I would say they are also at the same level or slightly less noisy than the 20" Michelin PS 4 which now are down to about 5 mm tread depth. So far, really happy with this.

Have not had the chance to test dry and wet performance yet, but car feels planted. The Hankooks are probably more tuned for comfort than the NFO-Pirellies, which I expect are the most sporty in the Porsche selection. But on coarse Norwegian asphalt, the Hankooks do well.

If anyone is interested, I will report back on wear/noise/consumption as the tyres get more kilometers under their belt. At the moment I run them with 2,7 bar (fronts) and 2,8 bar (rears).

Porsche Taycan 21" GMP Rebel and Hankook iON evo tires: initial impressions CT_front

Porsche Taycan 21" GMP Rebel and Hankook iON evo tires: initial impressions CT_rear

MrJones02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Looks good, would personally swap the GMP centercaps with porsche ones.

GMP is decent quality, I had gloss black 22" gunners on my etron SUV, they handled the EV weight without a problem, no issues with road-salt and still looked new after 4 years.

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
The car looks fantastic! Very original wheel choice and I think it gives the car a more exotic look.

OP
OP
cityhpper

cityhpper

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looks good, would personally swap the GMP centercaps with porsche ones.

GMP is decent quality, I had gloss black 22" gunners on my etron SUV, they handled the EV weight without a problem, no issues with road-salt and still looked new after 4 years.
Thanks!

Yes, been debating with myself if I should put Porsche centercaps on them, or not. Could probably make a more balanced apperance. On the other hand, fellow enthusiasts will immediately see that the wheels are not OE and might develop a stress reaction or something :) But will probably try it later this summer.

Thanks for the feedback on the GMP wheels. Good to hear that they worked well on your etron. Seems that GMP has a good relationship with Audi and VW-group, as their wheels match OE-specs for several cars from the group, including Porsche. I also noted that this set-up (wheels + tyres) required far less balancing weights than my two sets of 20" OE wheels. No vibrations at all, but only tested to 120 km/h (75 mph) so far.

OP
OP
cityhpper

cityhpper

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The car looks fantastic! Very original wheel choice and I think it gives the car a more exotic look.
Thanks! Indeed, makes it easier to identify the car amongst the other black CTs when parked outside my local Porsche Centre, hehe...

WedmoreBlue

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan Sport Turismo
Country flag
While I've been very happy with my two sets of 20" OE (rims+tyres), I recently felt the urge to try out a set of 21"'s as well. I guess the main motivation was some improved aestics, but I was also genuinly curious to see what going a step up in tyre size would do to the over all driving feel as well as consumption.

My main concern was increased noise at highway speeds, which has been reported as an issue by some Taycan owners. While I used to be a bit concerned about range for my Taycan 4 CT (I came from a Model S Raven), the level of fast DC-chargers across the Nordics makes it a breeze to travel longer stretches even with EVs that are somewhat thirsty. So, consumtion really not a big concern for my usage pattern anymore.

The rims/wheels were chosen because I liked their look. This time, I wanted something a bit different from the OE design. They are from GMP (Italian brand) and the model is called Rebel. Specs are 100 % identical to the 21" OE wheels when it comes to size and offset. Quality seems good but time will tell, I guess.

When I had decided on a non-OE wheel, I reasoned I might as well step away from the narrow path of NFO-tyres also. Checking out reviews and YouTube content, I quickly homed in on the Hankook iON evo tyres. They appeared to be designed acoording to well-founded technical principles, so should be a good choice regarding noise and rolling resistance. Wear/longetivity remains to be seen, though.

I have only covered about 300 kilometers so far, but they seem no more noisy than my winter tyres (Pirelli) when driven on dry asphalt. I would say they are also at the same level or slightly less noisy than the 20" Michelin PS 4 which now are down to about 5 mm tread depth. So far, really happy with this.

Have not had the chance to test dry and wet performance yet, but car feels planted. The Hankooks are probably more tuned for comfort than the NFO-Pirellies, which I expect are the most sporty in the Porsche selection. But on coarse Norwegian asphalt, the Hankooks do well.

If anyone is interested, I will report back on wear/noise/consumption as the tyres get more kilometers under their belt. At the moment I run them with 2,7 bar (fronts) and 2,8 bar (rears).

CT_front.jpeg

CT_rear.jpeg
Looking great 👍
I put Hankook Ion Evo winter tyres on my Sport Turismo last winter as the Pirelli P Zero nfo tyres out of the factory on 21” RS Spyder wheels really struggled in the UK winter weather and the Ackerman effect I was experiencing was terrible.
The Hankook’s were perfect & I will likely replace the Pirelli’s with Hankook’s when the time comes, likely next spring/summer.

Elroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, VW Golf GTI Mk8, Ford Raptor 6.2L
Country flag
Saw the MY 2025 Taycan Turbo S at South by Southwest in Austin last March. Note the Hankook Ion EVO tires that are the OEM fit. Was told that there tires contribute to the increased range of the MY 2025 Taycans.

Porsche Taycan 21" GMP Rebel and Hankook iON evo tires: initial impressions IMG_8080

Porsche Taycan 21" GMP Rebel and Hankook iON evo tires: initial impressions IMG_8083

OP
OP
cityhpper

cityhpper

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Looks very good😊
could you share the price on the tyres?
Sure: rear tyres about NOK 9500 (USD 900) pr pair, front tyres about NOK 8500 (USD 800) pr pair.

OP
OP
cityhpper

cityhpper

First Name
Johan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Saw the MY 2025 Taycan Turbo S at South by Southwest in Austin last March. Note the Hankook Ion EVO tires that are the OEM fit. Was told that there tires contribute to the increased range of the MY 2025 Taycans.

IMG_8080.jpeg

IMG_8083.jpeg
That is a great picture of the new 21" Aeros, never seen them like this before. Will be interesting to see if Porsche will go NF0 on the 265/35 and 305/30 versions of this tyre as well.

d00d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes
Country flag
I wanted to try the Hankook ion Evo AS on a set of 20" wheels, while they do have a 245/45R20 XL, they don't have a matching 285/40R20 XL.

Had to go with the Continental ProContact RX (AS) instead.
___

Hello!

Thank you for contacting Hankook's warranty support. As of now, we are uncertain about the future sizes that will be added to the ion EVO AS or the ion EVO AS SUV line. For your reference, we do carry the ion EVO(summer tire) in the 285/40R20 XL. Please contact us at 615-432-0700 option 1, if you need further assistance.

Regards!

Warranty Support
Technical Services Team
America HQ, 51

HANKOOK TIRE AMERICA CORP.
333 Commerce St, Suite 600, Nashville, TN 37201

T +1 615 432 0700 option 1
[email protected]

CaliPorsche

First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Cayenne S, 964 Speedster, AMG
@cityhpper - I have been planning forward for the tire change on my 21” Mission E’s - probably 9 months out right now, I would love to hear your ongoing views of the Hankook compared to your prior tire ……
Sponsored