First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2022 F150 Lightning
Country flag
Hi all,
I’m a long time lurker with a Taycan 4S on order slated for April production. Without this forum, I never would have taken the plunge at all and definitely wouldn’t have attempted a custom build. I’m continuously impressed by the intelligent discussions that go on without it really ever devolving into name calling and insults. Hopefully that won’t change now ?

I’m currently driving a Chevy Silverado High Country and look forward to my first time Porsche ownership. It will be fun to play on two different ends of the spectrum. For the most part, the 4S will be a daily driver for a 40 mile round trip commute for about 9 months of the year here in NY. I’ve got a Nema 14-50 outlet in the garage set up and ready to go (It’s a 40 amp circuit so it’ll be charging at 32 amps). .

Here is my current build:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNDP7KR7

I’d love to know if you feel I’ve missed any must-haves or included anything I shouldn’t have. I am still considering adding massaging seats and Exterior Mirror Lower Trim in Exterior Color and Base in High Gloss Black. I’m also waffling on Ice Grey or Chalk with Bordeaux or Carmine with black leather so that is TBD. I’m sure I will agonize about those colors for the next 4 weeks until my freeze date.

Looking forward to your feedback,
Brian
Sponsored

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think it’s a pretty good build. Might help if you described you desires/goals in term of luxury vs performance, as that has a big impact on options IMO.

Taycan24

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD due in June
Country flag
Def like the build. If going for a sporty look I highly recommend sport design side skirts - for 1k they really add to the appearance.

2 boxes I slightly regret not checking that you also don’t have on this build are Sports Chrono & Electric Sound - both gimmicky but strangely I still wish I had them.

Insulated Glass would be the one checked box that could be unchecked if you wanted to save - it’s plenty quiet as is IMO.

Good luck!

OP
OP
btaback

btaback

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think it’s a pretty good build. Might help if you described you desires/goals in term of luxury vs performance, as that has a big impact on options IMO.
Thanks for the input. This car will likely never see a track and the commute isn’t one that provides a lot of opportunities to open it up. With that in mind, luxury/aesthetics are definitely a priority. That’s why I’ve left off things like PTV+ and PDCC Sport. I’ve even contemplated leaving off PB+ given my expected usage pattern and the lack of measurable impact on performance.

OP
OP
btaback

btaback

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Def like the build. If going for a sporty look I highly recommend sport design side skirts - for 1k they really add to the appearance.

2 boxes I slightly regret not checking that you also don’t have on this build are Sports Chrono & Electric Sound - both gimmicky but strangely I still wish I had them.

Insulated Glass would be the one checked box that could be unchecked if you wanted to save - it’s plenty quiet as is IMO.

Good luck!
Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. We clearly think alike because all of these thoughts have been on my mind. I truly wish there was a wash to get the side skirts in gloss black without having to get the front and rear too. I just don’t love the exterior color inlay and I’ve never seen it in person so that doesn’t help!

I rented a car through the Porsche Drive program last summer in Northern California that was equipped with Sports Chrono, Sound and the Insulated Glass. Sports Chrono is the one change I’d be most likely to make. However, since my goal was to keep the build around $130k (which I’ve already failed to do) I didn’t check the box. The sport sound is something I turned off pretty quickly once I had tried it. I have some regret about not checking the box but it’s ANOTHER $500 and I think I’d be more inclined to add the gloss exterior mirrors. I’m afraid though, I may regret it later just like you.

The glass is one I’ve read a ton about. In the 4S I was using, I was quite impressed at how cool the car was in the summer California sun. I was sort of afraid to uncheck the glass without have experienced the car without it. It is just such a shame that we have to fly so blindly on these builds without any inventory around to check out our alternatives.

Would I be totally nuts to drop the PB+ and add Chrono, Sound, Massage, Mirrors and Skirts???

soamz

First Name
Soumendra
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2022 arriving this week
Country flag
I would add the HUD and seat massaging and sports chrono.
If you drive fast then definitely you would want to switch to SPORTS PLUS more often and with sports chrono, it will be a dedicated button to do that.

Taycan24

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD due in June
Country flag
Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. We clearly think alike because all of these thoughts have been on my mind. I truly wish there was a wash to get the side skirts in gloss black without having to get the front and rear too. I just don’t love the exterior color inlay and I’ve never seen it in person so that doesn’t help!

I rented a car through the Porsche Drive program last summer in Northern California that was equipped with Sports Chrono, Sound and the Insulated Glass. Sports Chrono is the one change I’d be most likely to make. However, since my goal was to keep the build around $130k (which I’ve already failed to do) I didn’t check the box. The sport sound is something I turned off pretty quickly once I had tried it. I have some regret about not checking the box but it’s ANOTHER $500 and I think I’d be more inclined to add the gloss exterior mirrors. I’m afraid though, I may regret it later just like you.

The glass is one I’ve read a ton about. In the 4S I was using, I was quite impressed at how cool the car was in the summer California sun. I was sort of afraid to uncheck the glass without have experienced the car without it. It is just such a shame that we have to fly so blindly on these builds without any inventory around to check out our alternatives.

Would I be totally nuts to drop the PB+ and add Chrono, Sound, Massage, Mirrors and Skirts???
Everybody on this form led me to believe I needed PB+ if for nothing else than resale. I did not check the box and 8 months in have no regrets.

Since you’ve tried electric sound you better know you don’t want/need it. I’ve never had it so sometimes I’m like “man, that would be kinda cool to turn on right now but I can’t.”

As for the glass, I have never tried it so can’t compare - but I’m also in Southern California and live Inland so it gets very hot. Pano is very tinted and never felt the heat beaming down on me last summer. So just a thought there if you’re close to budget.

Also, just saw your comment about still deciding between colors. Both are beautiful, but chalk in person on the Taycan really has a different element of “wow” IMO.

These are such tough decisions, I even bugged the dealer to change my build twice AFTER LOCK - the first time changed from black to metallic white & added Mission E’s, they said yes (probably cause of the much increased cost). The 2nd time I tried changing from White to Chalk and got a “no.” Luckily I still really like Metallic White, but if I ever buy another it would be Chalk.

One last thought - if 0-60 isn’t incredibly important, you could drop to the RWD and check all the boxes to satisfy the luxury/aesthetic desires. RWD still accelerates very fast once you get past the 0-10 or 0-20 range. Coming from a Tesla P85+ with an advertised 3.9 0-60 I was terrified of how “slow” RWD would be but that’s all my budget could afford. Now, I don’t care what the numbers say, this RWD is way quicker than the old performance Tesla everywhere but in a drag race.

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
SC dial is a huge plus. Have the glass and love it. Could do without the sport sound, never use it and nobody in the family likes it.

OP
OP
btaback

btaback

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Everybody on this form led me to believe I needed PB+ if for nothing else than resale. I did not check the box and 8 months in have no regrets.

Since you’ve tried electric sound you better know you don’t want/need it. I’ve never had it so sometimes I’m like “man, that would be kinda cool to turn on right now but I can’t.”

As for the glass, I have never tried it so can’t compare - but I’m also in Southern California and live Inland so it gets very hot. Pano is very tinted and never felt the heat beaming down on me last summer. So just a thought there if you’re close to budget.

Also, just saw your comment about still deciding between colors. Both are beautiful, but chalk in person on the Taycan really has a different element of “wow” IMO.

These are such tough decisions, I even bugged the dealer to change my build twice AFTER LOCK - the first time changed from black to metallic white & added Mission E’s, they said yes (probably cause of the much increased cost). The 2nd time I tried changing from White to Chalk and got a “no.” Luckily I still really like Metallic White, but if I ever buy another it would be Chalk.

One last thought - if 0-60 isn’t incredibly important, you could drop to the RWD and check all the boxes to satisfy the luxury/aesthetic desires. RWD still accelerates very fast once you get past the 0-10 or 0-20 range. Coming from a Tesla P85+ with an advertised 3.9 0-60 I was terrified of how “slow” RWD would be but that’s all my budget could afford. Now, I don’t care what the numbers say, this RWD is way quicker than the old performance Tesla everywhere but in a drag race.
All valid thoughts and much appreciated. This is going to be a rough 5 weeks until my freeze date!

My allocation is for a 4S so I won't be looking back on that. I figured that if it did become a vehicle I couldn't bear not to drive, even in really bad weather, that having the AWD would be a smart choice.

I'm pleased to hear your thoughts on PB+. I have some range anxiety but I just don't know that it is warranted. And for the incremental performance benefit at higher speeds, I don't really care. I can take out PB+, add a bunch of stuff and maybe even save a few bucks. Also, resale is simply not a part of this calculation for me - I won't bore you with the explanation but suffice it to say that this build is for me and me alone (and my 3 kids as evidenced by the rear 2+1 and heaters). My wife couldn't care less about any of this and her punishment is no passenger display, lol.

As far as colors, this may be the toughest part. I had a Carmine Red 4S as my rental (see attached) and fell in love with that color - never would've ever expected that. However, it may just be a bit too much for me. I like the idea of Ice Grey being exclusive to the Taycan. I saw it in person for the first time this week and though I liked it, I wasn't blown away. Granted, it was inside the service drive at my dealership and the lighting wasn't ideal. I've always liked Chalk when I've seen it on other models, I've never seen it in person on the Taycan. Gonna see if I can find one today.

I am committed to being done with the agonizing by the freeze date - I almost wish you never told me you were able to make a change after then!!!

Porsche Taycan 4S Build Feedback Requested tempImagebJrZxe

OP
OP
btaback

btaback

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
SC dial is a huge plus. Have the glass and love it. Could do without the sport sound, never use it and nobody in the family likes it.
Duly noted. I think I will drop sport sound officially from the potential add list. I don't expect I'll ever look back on that one. The car I drove had SC so I'm a bit hesitant to spec without it since I loved the feel of the wheel and the mode selection.
Sponsored