WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
2028 seems to be Autocar's best guess, rather than Porsche's plan, but the key points for me are
1. It's good that Porsche regard it as the halo technological sporting model which will be continuously proactively improved.
2. Pricing or finance incentives will be needed to maintain anything like the quoted number of 150,000 owners of "current" versions who are currently rewarded with accelerated depreciation for supporting and informing the development process of the next versions.

eisenb11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
"2. Pricing or finance incentives will be needed to maintain anything like the quoted number of 150,000 owners of "current" versions who are currently rewarded with accelerated depreciation for supporting and informing the development process of the next versions."​

Isn't this pretty much par for the course with the normal Porsche life-cycle? About 4 years to refresh, then 4 more to next model.

OP
OP
W1NGE

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
So long as they keep making a wagon..
And I think the Taycan is big enough, if they decide to make the next Taycan sedan- or coupe-only, I'm not sure I can tolerate a larger car (the Panamera EV) as a replacement. 😬
Size wise there's little in it - I've owned both and essentially they are the same size - length and width.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
"2. Pricing or finance incentives will be needed to maintain anything like the quoted number of 150,000 owners of "current" versions who are currently rewarded with accelerated depreciation for supporting and informing the development process of the next versions."​

Isn't this pretty much par for the course with the normal Porsche life-cycle? About 4 years to refresh, then 4 more to next model.
Maybe- but what has (I think) departed from the norm is the scale of the increment at refresh time- arguably on a par with a new version rather than just a refresh or facelift. Rightly or wrongly, the EV market seems to focus on consumption, peak power and standing start acceleration figures, and on that basis the refresh Taycan has downgraded the original version in relative terms, exacerbating the already challenging EV depreciation situation.

eisenb11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
and on that basis the refresh Taycan has downgraded the original version in relative terms, exacerbating the already challenging EV depreciation situation.
Ah, I get you - the problem is that Porsche is in a catch-22 situation. EV technology is new enough that it's evolving at an insane pace right now.

In a normal world, small changes between refreshes would stabilize values - a la 911's... but it isn't apple-to-apples because ICE technology is mature and moves at a much slower rate. If Porsche decided to only make small changes to the Taycan they would become completely uncompetitive against other brands that are keeping pace with EV technology. This, unfortunately, ages the Taycan faster and depreciates it faster as a result, but is a necessary evil for the time being.

Eventually, EV technology is going to mature and slow down, but that time isn't now. Consider the high depreciation of EVs part of the "early adopter tax". This is the reason that I'll only lease an EV for the time being.
Sponsored