ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have no doubt the Taycan 2 Wheel Drive will eventfully be available in Europe/UK.
Certainly agree it will come everywhere. My question is if anyone knows how the 30,000 deposits held out. I am sure many dropped due to delays in availability and Covid-19, but I would think still over 15k and production seems no where near that so far so I am a bit confused why they are introducing lower models already, maybe hinting at them but I hope that they hurry up with current orders.
I was 142 in a queue for model 4S Taycans in a Bay Area dealership. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me offering the 2S already when they apparently have plenty of orders for more expensive cars.
Am I misunderstanding something?

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
China is a big market, and important to get more cars on the street there for marketing reasons. I'd guess Porsche wants a bunch of early mindshare.

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
I don't mind cars being sold in China as well as the rest of the world, but I do mind that CCP is given priority before democratic western countries that nurtured the whole industry in the first place. This kind of marketing on so called ´China first politics´ say a lot about the unfortunate power CCP has, which harms both jobs in our own countries and secondary loss of purchasing power. I find this draining of our knowledge and resources are quite disturbing, and will in the end bite us in the butt.

Last edited:

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Two more articles on the RWD Taycan

Porsche Taycan RWD makes China debut w/489km of NEDC range, uncertain if coming to US market
Electrek

https://electrek.co/2020/06/29/pors...-nedc-range-uncertain-if-coming-to-us-market/

Base model Taycan electric car—so far only for China
Green Car Reports

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...del-taycan-electric-car-so-far-only-for-china

Thanks Ron for informative, interesting and detailed articles about the Taycan RWD :like:

Should have been launched and made available worldwide for all markets simultaneously though. In any case and of respect, one should expect that it does not come at the expense of pending orders for customers on the other Taycan family models.

Wonder how it handles compared to 4WD, as RWD is fun to drive but a little more challenging in certain conditions. I guess drifting would be a little easier though, and the driving still in the good old Porsche feel that never fades in its soul.

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I don't mind cars being sold in China as well as the rest of the world, but I do mind that CCP is given priority before democratic western countries that nurtured the whole industry in the first place. This kind of marketing on so called ´China first politics´ say a lot about the unfortunate power CCP has, which harms both jobs in our own countries and secondary loss of purchasing power. I find this draining of our knowledge and resources are quite disturbing, and will in the end bite us in the butt.
Politics aside, it is simply not true. The cars where introduced in a big show in Canada, China, and Germany at the same time.

The first wave of cars went to the US, I think to satisfy diesel-gate court rulings. Then a lot of cars were delivered in Europe. 460 in your country alone! The first lot of Turbo and Turbo S were recently delivered in China, but just a handful. Not a single 4S has entered the country. The delivery of cars in China is really disheartening, nothing arrives.

My large local dealer in the middle of the richest district in China had his first promotion party about 2 months ago. I went there just before and looked at their car. To my utter surprise I saw the car had European CCS charging sockets. Useless in China. What do they do with this car here? Buy an adapter or send it back?

For the past 5 years in a row, Porsche's biggest market is China, despite the fact, that we pay almost twice the money as customers in the US have to pay! My average 4S cost me 200k USD.

In 2018-Dec-2 I put down 2860 USD deposit for the waiting list.
In 2019-Dec-6 I put down 28600 USD deposit after placing an order.

The car was promised by the dealer for Feb production delivery end of April latest early May. It has been produced but if it has left Bremerhaven or not, I don't know.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
China is a big market, and important to get more cars on the street there for marketing reasons. I'd guess Porsche wants a bunch of early mindshare.
It's not only marketing reasons. There were waiting lists like in other countries and there were promises made to wealthy loyal customers but non of them were kept.

Last edited:

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Politics aside, it is simply not true. The cars where introduced in a big show in Canada, China, and Germany at the same time.
As you surely know this whole thread is about the last member in the Taycan family with RWD announced in China only, and not about the whole Taycan family launched way back in several countries.

The rest of my statement about the fundamental, and politics if you like, can hardly be disproved. However I do respect that you have another opinion, so I’ll leave it at that.

What we undoubtedly do can agree on though, is that Porsche is a great brand and Taycan is a wonderful sports car. Forwards this will be my main focus of sharing on this forum :fingerscrossed: Peace!

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
As you surely know this whole thread is about the last member in the Taycan family with RWD announced in China only, and not about the whole Taycan family launched way back in several countries.
I am well aware of this. I only try to explain: When I look around here, I can see that almost all Porsche on the road are SUV. Sometimes a Panamera, but hardly ever their sports cars. Porsche in China is a luxury brand, not a sports car brand. I guess that the Taycan did not attract enough sales to satisfy government mandated sales quota of EVs in order to be allowed to sell any car in China.

The rest of my statement about the fundamental, and politics if you like, can hardly be disproved. However I do respect that you have another opinion, so I’ll leave it at that.
I grew up in Bavaria. Trust me, our opinion is very similar. But after 20 years living here, my experience led me to a slightly different perspective. There is a huge push from the government to completely electrify all transportation. I like EVs but even more a quiet city and fresh air to breath. :)

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am well aware of this. I only try to explain: When I look around here, I can see that almost all Porsche on the road are SUV. Sometimes a Panamera, but hardly ever their sports cars. Porsche in China is a luxury brand, not a sports car brand. I guess that the Taycan did not attract enough sales to satisfy government mandated sales quota of EVs in order to be allowed to sell any car in China.

I grew up in Bavaria. Trust me, our opinion is very similar. But after 20 years living here, my experience led me to a slightly different perspective. There is a huge push from the government to completely electrify all transportation. I like EVs but even more a quiet city and fresh air to breath. :)
Thank you for replay and the clearing up - and good hear we’re mainly on same page :like: As much as I love the feel and sound of Porches combustion engines especially from the aggressive 911 series, strange enough I still went ahead and bought Porches new electric one . . . which I don’t regret on bit. You’re definitely right more EV’s will make a positive difference, as a lot of cities world wide struggling with a little too much smog and pollution. Even if I try to behave good, half of me is bad - so my worse part is planning to hopefully get a 992 as well, in addition to the Taycan. At least then I can say I make a 50% contribution to a cleaner planet:angel: Peace!
Sponsored