T16ole

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo
Country flag
I had a round about way to enjoy up with a Taycan.

I initially dismissed an EV, so ordered a new Cayenne E Hybrid in the spring which ended up arriving in the Autumn and after issues was bought back by Porsche within a few days of it arriving.

During which I bought an ex demo Taycan Turbo CT. Which today went in for a recall and I was given a Cayenne as a loaner.

I cannot express how much nicer the Taycan is to drive. The Cayenne’s drivetrain now feels dim whittled, clunky and slow.

The ride also manages to feel cumbersome and harsh at the same time. Compared to the Taycan which feels solid but smoother and just way more refiend

The whole way home I was so glad I went for the Taycan.

My wife has an X5 40i 2020 model and I actually think I’d take that over the Cayenne.
Sponsored

MarkR

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4CT
Country flag
That's surprising to hear about the Cayenne. I have never driven one, but I would have expected the ride to be comfortable and smooth. I did spec one up whe. I was deciding on my replacement car, but didn't get as far as test driving it. I used to have a 2020 X5 45e, and I absolutely loved it. The car was extremely comfortable and it was a great all round car. I still miss it and would probably be in one today if I hadn't gone for the Taycan. However, I am so pleased with my new CT4. I agree the car is extremely smooth and just eats up the miles. I was heading back from a meeting yesterday and got stuck in traffic for about 30 mins, which extended my journey to about 2 hours. I was not even annoyed, as it gave me another 30 mins driving it....🤣

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Though I'm glad I swapped a Cayenne E Hybrid for my Turbo CT, in the 2.5 years I had it, it impressed me with its competence, ability and utility- space and pace in particular, and I think its ride quality (EDIT- it had the optional air suspension) was at least as good as the Taycan's- but it didn't excite or inspire me, and I ended preferring traveling in the sedate full-electric mode rather than rapid but frenetic hybrid mode. That's what steered me to a full BEV for the first time.
I think you had an atypical experience, maybe your Cayenne had faulty air suspension or 22" wheels?

Last edited:

Donar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan ST ‘22 - Polestar 2 Performance '20
Country flag
I had a Cayenne GTS as loaner for a week. Brilliant car for daily use. But MRSP is >100K more than my Taycan, so imho cannot compare

From the other side. Looks are very boring. Does not come even close to the looks of the Taycan. Also got zero comments / questions / compliments on the Cayenne, while I get a LOT on my Taycan.

Bottom line there is no better looking and driving car for my budget and mileage. If I change car it is only because of practical reasons.

jcg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' BMW X5, 22' Taycan GTS
Country flag
Just test drove the turbo gt - very impressive. Definitely feel the higher ride height relative to my taycan but was smooth and responsive. Hit the gas hard and loved the sound - especially with shifts. I miss the greater involvement associated with ICE.
Agree not as special appearing as the taycan but looks very nice for large car - turbo gt very aggressive.

TXSchnee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 Taycan CT 4S, '24 BMW XM, '23 Honda Ridgeline
Country flag
You really need to add the suspension upgrades to the Cayenne to get the best ride. I have a ‘20 E Hybrid with Air and PDCC and it rides pretty well. I have the performance pack on my Taycan, and it is far more smooth and a better ride overall. My Taycan is my daily, Cayenne is a road trip car. I have an Audi RSQ8 on order to replace it though, PHEVs seem to have issues with the fuel injectors (not merely a Porsche issue) so going back to ICE for the long distance vehicle.

The Riddler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I swapped out of a Cayenne Turbo into the TaTbc an GTS, quite a few differences but both are excellent within their respective segments, which are notably different. I tended to treat the Cayenne as a big and capable GT car; the way it handles is impressive given size and height of the CoG. However, it isn’t close to the Taycan which is a big step forward in handling and NVH levels.

both have uses, I would have another Cayenne alongside my Taycan no problem at all, it’s an impressive vehicle.

MissionE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Turbo
Country flag

I initially dismissed an EV, so ordered a new Cayenne E Hybrid in the spring which ended up arriving in the Autumn and after issues was bought back by Porsche within a few days of it arriving.

During which I bought an ex demo Taycan Turbo CT. Which today went in for a recall and I was given a Cayenne as a loaner.

I cannot express how much nicer the Taycan is to drive. The Cayenne’s drivetrain now feels dim whittled, clunky and slow.

The ride also manages to feel cumbersome and harsh at the same time. Compared to the Taycan which feels solid but smoother and just way more refiend

My wife has an X5 40i 2020 model and I actually think I’d take that over the Cayenne.
There is no comparison.
I applaud Porsche for consciously choosing a sports car for their debut electric.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
There is no comparison.
I applaud Porsche for consciously choosing a sports car for their debut electric.
I agree.

The only thing I miss with the Cayenne is the extra space and ground clearance. The Taycan is superior in every other way.

RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag

I actually hated a Cayenne hybrid I was lent for a weekend- poor handling, poor economy and downright uncomfortable- sorry I don’t see the appeal at all!

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
That's surprising to hear about the Cayenne. I have never driven one, but I would have expected the ride to be comfortable and smooth. I did spec one up whe. I was deciding on my replacement car, but didn't get as far as test driving it. I used to have a 2020 X5 45e, and I absolutely loved it. The car was extremely comfortable and it was a great all round car. I still miss it and would probably be in one today if I hadn't gone for the Taycan. However, I am so pleased with my new CT4. I agree the car is extremely smooth and just eats up the miles. I was heading back from a meeting yesterday and got stuck in traffic for about 30 mins, which extended my journey to about 2 hours. I was not even annoyed, as it gave me another 30 mins driving it....🤣
I traveled 130 miles yesterday in my rwd Taycan, a lot of boring A road (single carriageway) stuff, a few blistering overtakes and then 10 miles across some wide country roads which the Taycan absolutely blitzed, an impressive cruiser on busier roads but comes alive switching to Sport plus. Just incredible ... it's a joy and great value (there are some absolute bargains in the used market right now in the uk)

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
I can echo a lot of the comments posted. I had one for a loaner for two months and a rental for a couple weeks while out of town. It’s a nice vehicle but to me doesn’t feel very Porsche. The Taycan feels like a Porsche to me. Granted I may be a bit biased as I have always driven 911’s and caymans.

Chas1

First Name
Chas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini
Country flag
I can echo a lot of the comments posted. I had one for a loaner for two months and a rental for a couple weeks while out of town. It’s a nice vehicle but to me doesn’t feel very Porsche. The Taycan feels like a Porsche to me. Granted I may be a bit biased as I have always driven 911’s and caymans.
I feel very much the same, for me an SUV is just not in the Porsche DNA. I could possibly say the same for the Taycan and Panamera. Which would leave currently 911 and 718. However why shouldn’t Porsche extend the brand and make some hay in the process. The legacy of Porsche is pretty much unrivalled and Cayenne and Macan have seen massive success, so good luck to those that want to drive an SUV and plug into some of the Porsche esprit de corps.

Caraholic

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F430, Cayman S, JKU
Country flag
I feel very much the same, for me an SUV is just not in the Porsche DNA. I could possibly say the same for the Taycan and Panamera. Which would leave currently 911 and 718. However why shouldn’t Porsche extend the brand and make some hay in the process. The legacy of Porsche is pretty much unrivalled and Cayenne and Macan have seen massive success, so good luck to those that want to drive an SUV and plug into some of the Porsche esprit de corps.
For sure Porsche wouldn’t be where they are today without the Macan and Cayenne. To me though it feels like they were designed way more towards luxury suv then a Porsche sport suv. Granted I have heard the turbo GT is a fine sports suv. It just doesn’t drive like a Porsche does whereas the Taycan really does feel like a larger 911.
Sponsored