Ceramic coating noob questions

awharton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes EQC400
Country flag
I have had numerous cars Ceramic coated and find Gtechniq to be the best available.
Agree - heard some good things about Wax is Dead too recently. It’s one of the products used by Auto Forensics where we are getting the PPS done. Will probably get it detailed at the same time with them.
Sponsored

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
@Arno yes I have a complete coverage on my car. Even the glass roof and the front lights. The roof was a bit of a misunderstanding but it is on now at no cost to me! . Two layers of Gtechniq Halo and some Gtechniq C2 on top of that. The cost was as per both the Gtechniq and Xpel website for precut film and treatments. It took a bit more time than I anticipated, but the guys that did the work are perfectionists! I cannot thank them enough as the end result is fantastic. They did this job with their hearts!!

It is not cheap but I think very worth it. I have had my other cars resprayed a few times already, because we like to drive up some nice mountain drives around us where stones fly all over. I just wish I could find some clear protection film for the windscreen as well since I have changed 4 windscreens in the last three years. And one of them cost the insurance company a lot of money

Arno

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S & Tesla Model-S 100D
Country flag
@Scandinavian Thanks! Then I pretty much have an idea of your total cost on PPF. Your solution sounds like a perfect protection match for the Taycan. Maybe I'll go another round myself before I make the final conclusion for my own Porsche. As you say; not cheap - but we'll be worth it. At least when calculating the cost of repainting several times over a few years, due to stone chips. Then the bill probably aint so bad after all.

Regarding the windscreen I also had protectionfilm in mind, even if it's not quite legal over here. Several of the Taycan lenders I've driven, had damaged glass already by flying rocks. I found a company that could mount such, but informed it had to be a thinner and harder type. Still, they said it wouldn't last more than maximum a couple of years depending on the use of windshield wipers wear and tear. I would hate to change the original windscreen early on. So yes, it might be a good idea.

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
I have had numerous cars Ceramic coated and find Gtechniq to be the best available.
This is what I will be doing also. Paint correction, Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra (the professional product, not the "Serum Light" consumer product) and EXO V4. I'm not going to do PPF. I used a ceramic on my Fisker (Opticoat Pro) and after 8 years it held up beautifully. In the intervening time the technology has evolved, and Gtechniq seems to be superior in every objective way. More telling, the person who did my Fisker, and who really knows his stuff, now uses Gtechniq exclusively.

Here is a long but really informative article about ceramics, and Gtechniq in particular. The article mostly discusses the 'Light', consumer-applicable product but wraps with a discussion of the Ultra product as well : https://canadiangearhead.com/gtechniq-long-term-review-part-1/

August 11th Edit: I've been convinced that I want PPF, so I will be having Xpel Ultimate applied before the ceramic after all :)

Last edited:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I agree Gtechniq are very good. But there are a few other brands now that also seem to deliver what is promised.

I have done a few cars myself with the Crystal Serum Light, the consumer variant. On paint with a clear lacquer topcoat it worked fantastic. On my 996 which does not have a topcoat, just ordinary paint, it was a bit tricky. In particular Gtechniq Panel Wipe was too strong for the paint! But the end result after a steep learning curve was fantastic. Properly washed and maintained it does what it says on the tin!

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Agree - heard some good things about Wax is Dead too recently. It’s one of the products used by Auto Forensics where we are getting the PPS done. Will probably get it detailed at the same time with them.
Auto Forensics seem to swear by it but I have never heard of it before. I may have it done - still deciding between this and Gtechniq.

awharton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes EQC400
Country flag
Auto Forensics seem to swear by it but I have never heard of it before. I may have it done - still deciding between this and Gtechniq.
They do. I heard from one other detailer about it too. In the same position as the detailer I normally use swears by Gtechniq.

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
They do. I heard from one other detailer about it too. In the same position as the detailer I normally use swears by Gtechniq.
Dealers normally swear by the product or service that gives them the most profit.

CQuartz UK 3.0 does a great job and you can apply it yourself. You will become very familiar with the vehicle if you do all the steps required to prep the car (Clay Bar, IronX, buffing, washes, isopropyl wipe down, etc).

Sure, you can pay some shop BIG money to do this if you would rather pay for it. However, the intimate knowledge of your car and its surface, and the experience gained during the process, can not be purchased at any price. You spend the time to learn how to do this properly yourself and you will never pay a shop to do it again.

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
I'm going with Ceramic Coating Farm - Alpha Coat Prime.

TeleSantana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I am taking delivery of a Taycan Turbo some time next week in the UK.

I am getting Porsche to apply a ceramic coating - they use Gtechniq and are charging a 'subsidised' price of just under £700 including VAT. It comes with a 5 year guarantee and covers interior and wheels.

Does anyone have any experience of Porsche using their own team to apply this stuff? I figured it was best to get them to do it pre-delivery and get some accountability for paint correction, etc.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag

I am getting Porsche to apply a ceramic coating - they use Gtechniq and are charging a 'subsidised' price of just under £700 including VAT. It comes with a 5 year guarantee and covers interior and wheels.

Does anyone have any experience of Porsche using their own team to apply this stuff? I figured it was best to get them to do it pre-delivery and get some accountability for paint correction, etc.
I would not get the dealer to do this. A proper detailing company will polish your car to a very high level, then coat the car. These guys will never achieve as good a job as a detailer. Where are you based, if Scotland I can recommend a guy.

Cleansweep

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera gts Range Rover autobiography bmw 840ci sport
Country flag

Porsche do not do this themselves they have a outside firm come in who are Gtechniq registered I-valet are doing mine at Porsche Cambridge

TeleSantana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan, Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks for the info, Gogs and Cleansweep.

Porsche Solihull are doing mine - they say they are using GTechniq certified people to do it, but did give the impression that it was an in-house job. Sounds likely they have outsourced, however.

They did say the car would be machine polished prior to application then the application cured under heat lamps overnight.

I do have an experienced detailer who comes to wash my cars once a month but I was concerned he wouldn't have the same facility (dust free environment) in order to perform the application. Porsche don't like to 'outsiders' come on their premises to do the job.

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag

Porsche Solihull are doing mine - they say they are using GTechniq certified people to do it, but did give the impression that it was an in-house job. Sounds likely they have outsourced, however.

They did say the car would be machine polished prior to application then the application cured under heat lamps overnight.

I do have an experienced detailer who comes to wash my cars once a month but I was concerned he wouldn't have the same facility (dust free environment) in order to perform the application. Porsche don't like to 'outsiders' come on their premises to do the job.
I prefer my own guy, he does all my cars and does a fantastic job. My wifes 2 year old RR sport just had a maintenance clean and reapply done and it looks like it is new again. Easier to keep the weekly washes to a minimum with the ceramic coating as well.

Cleansweep

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera gts Range Rover autobiography bmw 840ci sport
Country flag

Don’t say you heard it from me but I got mine thrown in for free
Sponsored