gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Potentially go for front end PPF to reduce cost then or will the bits without PPF be noticeably different?
I went with front PPF and then used a do-it-yourself ceramic coating (two coats of TurtleWax Spray Ceramic). The paint from Porsche was really nice so I cleaned it before putting the ceramic spray wax on but it really didn't need correction.

I really can't tell the difference between the parts of the car with PPF and those without.

The spray ceramic/graphene waxes are easy to apply and, if done right and maintained, will last a year or more. I like working on the car so this was a no-brainer for me.
Sponsored

Lansford

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Sorry OP, I was being silly. You should definitely do PPF. Everywhere. Then ceramic coating. And when you wash it, use the 10 bucket method. The three bucket method’s for noobs. And only use deionized water. Better yet, angel tears. And dry it with filtered air, getting the last bits of water with some cashmere towels. Then, when that’s all done, reach under the car and give it a hand job.
😆 🤣 😂 😹

Browning

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RangeRover D350 MHEV New Disco 300D MHEW Taycan4S
Country flag
I agree best thing I did was PPF and ceramic car is low down and will assist in reducing chips etc but so easy to wash don't regret having it done

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Need some help please guys.

Car due to be ready on 26th May, originally went with Swissvax offered by the dealer, but seen a lot of people say avoid this and go for Ceramic Coating or PPF.

What would you recommend and how much would you expect to pay for full PPF?
If you’re leasing, don’t do anything.

If you’re buying go with the full PPF as it offers both protection against pebbles and even some jerk "keying" your car. PPF also has the additional benefit of making your car easier to wash as most PPF applications include the ceramic coating.

McNasty

First Name
Sasha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I got Full PPF and ceramic coating on top of that. Cost around 7k for both.

I have no regrets. I have a dedicated parking spot in my building but recently a pipe has been leaking a rusty water that was dripping on my car. If I didn't have the PPF it would have stained the paint permanently.

Now I will need to just replace the PPF on that one spot but that is much preferred compared to the alternative...

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
OK...there's a minor amount of overlap with the application of each but people often think it's more overlap than it is.

PPF:
  • like its namesake suggests, this is a 8 to 12 mils plastic film that covers the painted surface to limit damage from regular driving.
  • Many people just cover the most susceptible areas - front bumper, and partial hood/fenders etc. Most with cars like these will do at least the front to the windshield.
  • The quality materials (high end Xpel or Stek) have self healing properties - see spider webbing? Just park it in the sun for a while and watch it disappear.
  • Products like Stek have colored versions of this material - not to be confused with colored wraps - its full PPF with several colors to choose from.
  • Installers matter - templates will be used to cut cost and time. Using this will leave exposed edges, and dirt will collect. Custom cuts will hide this. I high quality installer will remove parts (like lighting bezels etc) so seams are hidden and the product will last through heat/cold seasonal changes as it stretches and flexes.
  • Some (like the aforementioned) have really effective hydrophobic properties, so Ceramic on these films is unnecessary. Keep in mind Ceramic can actually detract from the films healing capabilities - while it heals and changes the surface of the film, ceramic coating isnt designed to do this.
  • Costs rang is vast and confusing but a decent base line would be:
    • front limited (template): $1000 to $1200
    • front complete (custom): $1500 to $2000
    • complete (custom): $6500 to $8500
Ceramic:
  • general costs are anywhere from $750 to $1750
  • the wide berth in costs is based on product, the number of coats, and (most of all) correction requirements
  • Its protective in the sense that it will 'limit' things like spider webbing on clear coat but its not foolproof - you still need to be respectful to your paint washing it etc. Its not bulletproof.
  • the claim several years of protective quality in warranties like CeramicPro, but it needs car and feeding - plan on details at least once per year. CeramicPro has products to keep shine popping that would enhance the finish (called Top Coat).
  • this doesn't protect against rock chips in any way, shape, or form
Factor in your tolerance for road weathering, love for the car, attention to these details and you can start to get a picture as to what will work best for you. Whether you own it, lease it, keep it long term or only a year or two measures against this decision as well but the aforementioned will weigh the heaviest.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
If you just want to protect against rock chips you can do the front end for around $3000USD with a good installer and top rate PPF. If you want to protect the paint from scratches and swirls then do the whole car for around $7500. I dont think you need ceramic on top of current films. Most have it built in. Doing it can add around 1200-1500 in most markets for ceramic.

It think for flat paint doing the whole car is a great option if you can afford it. Prevents microswirls and scraches that are super noticeable in flat paints. If you car is white (looks to be) or metallic, then these micro scratches are hard to see and you can probably skip doing the whole car.

I did my entire Taycan (flat Voodoo Blue) and only the front of my 992 TTS (White Metallic) for these reasons.

Porsche Taycan PPF or Ceramic coating? IMG_1401

Rob28

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan GTS, '22 Lexus NX350 (Wife's)
Country flag
I have a chalk GTS coming end of the month - will be doing Xpel PPF full car and ceramic coating. Will also be getting the wheels ceramic coated and the interior and tinting the windows. I was quoted $5500 CAD for ppf, $750 for ceramic exterior, wheels ceramic for free, interior ceramic $250 and tinting $350.

I'm leasing the car but would like to eventually buy it out - hence I am trying to take care of it as much as possible.

I think this is all personal preference.

OP
OP
Steve1871

Steve1871

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks everyone, good to get the different opinions.

Am buying, not leasing, but not sure if I will have it more than 3 years.

Am thinking as it is metallic white I will go for custom fit PPF on the front, mirrors, etc. then ceramic coating for the rest.

Cars look awesome mate!

Farinas

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Range Rover Velar, 17 Audi A6, 22 Taycan 4s
Country flag
I got Full PPF and ceramic coating on top of that. Cost around 7k for both.

I have no regrets. I have a dedicated parking spot in my building but recently a pipe has been leaking a rusty water that was dripping on my car. If I didn't have the PPF it would have stained the paint permanently.

Now I will need to just replace the PPF on that one spot but that is much preferred compared to the alternative...
Just was going through posts about PPF. Saw yours. Im in Northwest IND and got my Taycan from Orland Park 3 weeks ago. Did you like your installer? IF you don't mind, what was the cost just for the PPF and who did your install? Obviously pricing out and wanted to see if you would refer your person.

Thanks.

CarbonTax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Just was going through posts about PPF. Saw yours. Im in Northwest IND and got my Taycan from Orland Park 3 weeks ago. Did you like your installer? IF you don't mind, what was the cost just for the PPF and who did your install? Obviously pricing out and wanted to see if you would refer your person.

Thanks.
me too, McNasty :p

Austintin

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2014
Country flag
Ceramic coatings and paint protection film (PPF) are both popular options for car protection.
The choice between ceramic coating and PPF depends on your priorities. If you prioritize protection against rock chips and scratches, PPF is the better option. For overall paint protection and easier maintenance, ceramic coatings are a good choice.

Differences between ceramic coating vs PPF this article seems very informative to me https://cardetailingplanet.com/ceramic-coating-vs-ppf/

Last edited:

TDinDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S Cross Turismo, '06 Club Coupe (#48)
Country flag
I recently wrapped my entire club coupe from tip to tail with ppf to protect against paint damage from chips, door dings and stupid damage from other accidents or maliciousness. With ppf, you can avoid paint damage/scratches, so the combination of ppf and paint-less dent repair can help you keep oem paint without blemishes.

Porsche Taycan PPF or Ceramic coating? IMG_4305

Porsche Taycan PPF or Ceramic coating? IMG_4301