Charging Taycan with Flo Charger

sderkach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wondering if anyone is using a “Flo” charger to charge their Taycan? Have you had any issues? I have put my deposit down for a Taycan and am now looking at options to have a charger put in my garage. The largest amount of Amps the electrician feels I will be able to charge with is 30Amps. He could get me a deal on a Flo charger + there is a rebate at this time with a Flo charger.

I’m a bit nervous to go with anything other than the mobile connect charger from Porsche but am open to options.

Thx in advance for replies
Sponsored

Dave777

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1982 911SC, 997C4S, Cayenne, 2022 CT4
Country flag
Wondering if anyone is using a “Flo” charger to charge their Taycan? Have you had any issues? I have put my deposit down for a Taycan and am now looking at options to have a charger put in my garage. The largest amount of Amps the electrician feels I will be able to charge with is 30Amps. He could get me a deal on a Flo charger + there is a rebate at this time with a Flo charger.

I’m a bit nervous to go with anything other than the mobile connect charger from Porsche but am open to options.

Thx in advance for replies
What is the reason the electrician says you can only go 30amps?
Is your your main supply panel nearly full? If so, the panel can be upgraded. A single family home should be able to accommodate 50amp breaker; that would handle any suitable 40amp charger.
I think you need to ask the electrician more questions.

The basic Porsche Mobile Charger will work..but with 30 amps, you will be getting 7.2 Kw at best, so your charging will be slower. It would not be any different with the FLO Charger.

If you check the BC Hydro website, it lists all the chargers that are eligible for the rebate (the Porsche one isnt on the list . Tesla is for some weird reason). I just had installed a 14-50 socket with a 50amp breaker, and am considering the Grizz-e charger..great reviews and its eligible for the rebate. I’ll keep the PMC in the ”frunk”.

There’s a tremendous amount of info on the forum.
Heres a good link

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/charger-math-how-does-it-all-work.200/

Last edited:
OP
OP

sderkach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
What is the reason the electrician says you can only go 30amps?
Is your your main supply panel nearly full? If so, the panel can be upgraded. A single family home should be able to accommodate 50amp breaker; that would handle any suitable 40amp charger.
I think you need to ask the electrician more questions.

The basic Porsche Mobile Charger will work..but with 30 amps, you will be getting 7.2 Kw at best, so your charging will be slower. It would not be any different with the FLO Charger.

If you check the BC Hydro website, it lists all the chargers that are eligible for the rebate (the Porsche one isnt on the list . Tesla is for some weird reason). I just had installed a 14-50 socket with a 50amp breaker, and am considering the Grizz-e charger..great reviews and its eligible for the rebate. I’ll keep the PMC in the ”frunk”.

There’s a tremendous amount of info on the forum.
Heres a good link

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/charger-math-how-does-it-all-work.200/
Thank you for your reply Dave777. The electrician tells me that my main panel only provides 100Amps to the house. We only have about 30Amps left to commit to a 240V plug. Perhaps I will ask him about an upgrade. He did talk about that it but I also figured a 30Amp outlet would be enough given that my mileage with day to day use will be fairly low and therefore charging wouldn’t be too much of an issue.

Dave777

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1982 911SC, 997C4S, Cayenne, 2022 CT4
Country flag
The 100 amp service will definitely be restrictive no matter what charger you use. I had a look at the FLO chargers..they seem to be a good product, a bit on the expensive side(even with a rebate?), but the output is adjustable and is a direct wire (no wall plug).
From what you are saying about how you’ll be driving, I think the the Porsche supplied charger would do just fine.
BTW, if you don’t buy a separate charger, the electrical installation (labor and parts) is also eligible for the rebate.

https://electricvehicles.bchydro.com/incentives/charger-rebates/home#Eligibility

Cheers

OP
OP

sderkach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The 100 amp service will definitely be restrictive no matter what charger you use. I had a look at the FLO chargers..they seem to be a good product, a bit on the expensive side(even with a rebate?), but the output is adjustable and is a direct wire (no wall plug).
From what you are saying about how you’ll be driving, I think the the Porsche supplied charger would do just fine.
BTW, if you don’t buy a separate charger, the electrical installation (labor and parts) is also eligible for the rebate.

https://electricvehicles.bchydro.com/incentives/charger-rebates/home#Eligibility

Cheers
thank you again! The Porsche supplied charger would be fine….except I can’t fit my car in the garage and therefore will need an extension cord to charge outside. I don’t like this idea as anyone could come along and tamper with it. Hence why I would like my own ev charger at home. I didn’t realize that Flo chargers were wired in. I would rather a plug in charger so that I could take it elsewhere if we decide to move. And good to know re: electrical work for the job is included as a rebate!
Sponsored