Choosing chargers

greybox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future Taycan
Country flag
Hi

I am configurating my Porsche online as I am ready to order it however I was wondering what these two choices meant?

There is the 'Onboard DC charger 150kw' and then there is the 'Public charging cable (mode 3) '

For the public charging cable, would the chargers in the UK at the supermarkets and motorway service stations not have a cable with their chargers already?
Sponsored

bootsie

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Golf GTI 16v
Country flag
Hi

I am configurating my Porsche online as I am ready to order it however I was wondering what these two choices meant?

There is the 'Onboard DC charger 150kw' and then there is the 'Public charging cable (mode 3) '

For the public charging cable, would the chargers in the UK at the supermarkets and motorway service stations not have a cable with their chargers already?
Onboard DC charger 150KW is to allow you to use 400V chargers at 150KW.
https://electricrevs.com/2019/11/19...uyers-pay-for-the-optional-150-kw-dc-charger/
The concensus seems to be (from anyone but the dealer) that any charger over 50KW will be 800V anyway, so it's probably a useless option, at least in the UK and probably a good chunk of Europe. I think most people spec it "just in case" though.

Cable: Another "just in case" (unless you have an untethered charger at home or work), but there's no way I'm leasing one, so I'll just buy one of these:
https://evonestop.co.uk/collections...p-3-6-7-2-kw-5-10-metre?variant=9690528874543

OP
OP

greybox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future Taycan
Country flag
Thank you for your advice! I do appreciate it as I had been recommended both of those options however I will leave both now! As for the cable, thank you for suggesting that link. I will buy one of those too, I did think that there would be some places which would be selling it for half the price of Porsche's version!

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
Great advice. The 150 charger you will never use. But for £150 I got it as it seemed the right thing to do!! Lol. But really you don’t need it, but I bet you option it! Haha.
Sponsored