MadCan

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Defender P400e. Taycan 4S Perf+
Country flag
Well, I've ordered a Cherry Metallic 4S and am thrilled, and of course have joined the Forum.

Just wanted to say 'Thank You' to all on the forum that contribute to such informative threads. They all helped me achieve what I think is an ideal spec. for my purposes, and to help me understand just some of this special car's myriad features.

I think the main thing most on the Forums would disagree with on my spec. is that I've gone for the aluminium roof and not the glass. Couldn't see the point in paying more for a roof you can't open or look through when driving, that also adds weight. And I love the sculptured creased on the Ali roof, especially with a lighter metallic colour. With a two tone interior I don't think it will be opressive in the cabin. Happy to be convinced otherwise if there's a compelling case for the glass panoramic option.

Planned delivery 'Spring' 2021. Fingers crossed that Brexit doesn't cause unreasonable delays. I was less than impressed when I received an email from the OPD 24 hours after deposit paid asking me (via an official letter from Porsche) to sign a revised clause and agree a blanket 10% uplift to the agreed price. No mention had been made of this in the discussions with the dealer. True - I should have been more aware of this, but also believe the Configurator should flag this too - £10k is no small change to anyone and to notify such a change after an order is placed is bad form. Further, the assumption that a full 10% Tarrif will be added to the final order price is flawed - it should be added to the import price only. i.e. net of dealer margin & VAT.

Hope I'll be able to contribute to the forums positively as my Taycan ownership progresses and looking forward to learning from you all in the meantime.
Sponsored

old seadog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4CT
Country flag
Well, I've ordered a Cherry Metallic 4S and am thrilled, and of course have joined the Forum.

Just wanted to say 'Thank You' to all on the forum that contribute to such informative threads. They all helped me achieve what I think is an ideal spec. for my purposes, and to help me understand just some of this special car's myriad features.

I think the main thing most on the Forums would disagree with on my spec. is that I've gone for the aluminium roof and not the glass. Couldn't see the point in paying more for a roof you can't open or look through when driving, that also adds weight. And I love the sculptured creased on the Ali roof, especially with a lighter metallic colour. With a two tone interior I don't think it will be opressive in the cabin. Happy to be convinced otherwise if there's a compelling case for the glass panoramic option.

Planned delivery 'Spring' 2021. Fingers crossed that Brexit doesn't cause unreasonable delays. I was less than impressed when I received an email from the OPD 24 hours after deposit paid asking me (via an official letter from Porsche) to sign a revised clause and agree a blanket 10% uplift to the agreed price. No mention had been made of this in the discussions with the dealer. True - I should have been more aware of this, but also believe the Configurator should flag this too - £10k is no small change to anyone and to notify such a change after an order is placed is bad form. Further, the assumption that a full 10% Tarrif will be added to the final order price is flawed - it should be added to the import price only. i.e. net of dealer margin & VAT.

Hope I'll be able to contribute to the forums positively as my Taycan ownership progresses and looking forward to learning from you all in the meantime.
I collected my 4S last Thursday 12th Nov and my dealer said that Porsche cars annual price rise, plus an additional brexit price rise was imminent.
Hope doesn't put you off, only had the car 4 days, it is fantastic.

OP
OP
MadCan

MadCan

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I collected my 4S last Thursday 12th Nov and my dealer said that Porsche cars annual price rise, plus an additional brexit price rise was imminent.
Hope doesn't put you off, only had the car 4 days, it is fantastic.
Joy. I'm a bit old fashioned and work on the basis that if you enter into a contract and agree to buy something at a price, that price should be maintained, but realise Porsche T's & C's allow for a price uplift to be imposed during the build/delivery period. Whether it will put me off depends, I guess, on the quantum. The Taycan is in a league of it's own so hard to walk away from.

Yours in Mamba Green looks stunning. Bet you can't wait to see it in full sunlight. Really glad you're enjoying it.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Congrats! Nothing wrong with ordering the metal roof, I agree that the two-tone leather will help replace the open feel the pano roof provides.

One thing to consider, if you haven't, is that the pano roof does include roof rack mounting points whereas the metal does not. It's a nice & useful system if you will be using a roof rack. If not and you don't intend to have backseat passengers often, where the Pano roof becomes tremendously impressive, the metal is a great choice!

OP
OP
MadCan

MadCan

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Congrats! Nothing wrong with ordering the metal roof, I agree that the two-tone leather will help replace the open feel the pano roof provides.

One thing to consider, if you haven't, is that the pano roof does include roof rack mounting points whereas the metal does not. It's a nice & useful system if you will be using a roof rack. If not and you don't intend to have backseat passengers often, where the Pano roof becomes tremendously impressive, the metal is a great choice!
Thanks Frank. We use the SUV for carrying stuff/people/dogs and have a trailer too, so the Taycan is for 'high days and holidays' so won't need a roof rack. It'll be driven hard but otherwise lead a cossetted and much admired life :involve:

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I think the main thing most on the Forums would disagree with on my spec. is that I've gone for the aluminium roof and not the glass. Couldn't see the point in paying more for a roof you can't open or look through when driving, that also adds weight.
I also didn't configure the glass roof. I've optimised my car for the front seat passengers – it will be rare for me to carry passengers in the rear seats.

In my opinion, the glass roof is primarily for the benefit of the rear passengers. I felt it somewhat started a little "back" from where the front seat passengers sit that they don't fully avail of it. You almost have to look up and a little back to really see out of it.

Plus, I think the creases in the metal roof look great

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I also didn't configure the glass roof. I've optimised my car for the front seat passengers – it will be rare for me to carry passengers in the rear seats.

In my opinion, the glass roof is primarily for the benefit of the rear passengers. I felt it somewhat started a little "back" from where the front seat passengers sit that they don't fully avail of it. You almost have to look up and a little back to really see out of it.

Plus, I think the creases in the metal roof look great
Love the metal roof but it was not available. Our friends love the glass roof!

Mouse House

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
New Balance 1500 v6
Country flag
From the outside the metal roof looks way better (it's what I went with). Toss-up whether you can notice it from the front inside, though I can see it would be nice for passengers in the back.

SYN_Skydance

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s and MG ZS EV
Country flag
I’m in two minds about the pano roof too. I like the look of the metal one better but keep thinking that I’ll regret not getting the pano roof as it’s the modern EV look.

Regarding the the price increase......
I understand the Brexit increase is out of Porsches hands but I don’t feel they should add a full 10% on the the price the customer pays, as this is more than the extra it will be costing Porsche. Now, if Porsche increase their prices once a year then I believe they should reflect this in the in the price they quote when they take your deposit. My dealer never mentioned the Brexit price increase or the fact the car price will be higher regardless. They were just happy to take my £5k. I’ve still not signed any price increase letter, like I’ve seen others on here have, yet I paid my deposit one month ago.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I’m in two minds about the pano roof too. I like the look of the metal one better but keep thinking that I’ll regret not getting the pano roof as it’s the modern EV look.

I understand the Brexit increase is out of Porsches hands but I don’t feel they should add a full 10% on the the price the customer pays, as this is more than the extra it will be costing Porsche. Now, if Porsche increase their prices once a year then I believe they should reflect this in the in the price they quote when they take your deposit. My dealer never mentioned the Brexit price increase or the fact the car price will be higher regardless. They were just happy to take my £5k. I’ve still not signed any price increase letter, like I’ve seen others on here have, yet I paid my deposit one month ago.
Well it is not that surprising that Porsche increase their prices though is it? I mean if you look at the base model 4S it is something like 83.500 GBP which is about 93200 Euros. The base model in most of Europe is in the region of 104000 Euros. And the GBP has not had such a good development lately has it? Then you might have the Brexit Tax on top of that. It will not be so cheap with a Taycan in the U.K. if that all goes the wrong way!

OP
OP
MadCan

MadCan

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

An arbitary 10% hike is opportunistic or just ill considered (paying tax on tax..?). If it masks an underlying price increase, I don't necesarily have issue with that, but would prefer them to be open and honest about it and of course be clear on it at the point of pricing/ordering.

The roof is a dilemma (first world problem I know) but the Pano roof takes on a copper-like hue when wet (almost like oil does on water) that jars with the rest of the car, as well as changing the roofline, so given that we won't often have passengers in this car, it swayed me to the Ally roof. The headroom inside is good so I don't feel it will be claustrophobic. Time will tell.

OP
OP
MadCan

MadCan

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Well it is not that surprising that Porsche increase their prices though is it? I mean if you look at the base model 4S it is something like 83.500 GBP which is about 93200 Euros. The base model in most of Europe is in the region of 104000 Euros. And the GBP has not had such a good development lately has it? Then you might have the Brexit Tax on top of that. It will not be so cheap with a Taycan in the U.K. if that all goes the wrong way!
Will you feel the same way Peter when your next Aston has a tarrif applied..?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Will you feel the same way Peter when your next Aston has a tarrif applied..?
I know why you mean! I actually very strongly looked at importing an Aston from the U.K. The deals that have been available in the U.K. were outstanding! Pricing here is still it seems based on GBP to Euro at 1.50! And then of course I would have a malus tax here of more that 20 k Euros, which I think will raise to over 30 k next year! And rumours say even more in future, plus the registration fee is very high as well. Another 5 k or so?

Here is hoping Aston will release a new EV soon. They skipped the electric Rapide! :mad::mad:

OP
OP
MadCan

MadCan

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I know why you mean! I actually very strongly looked at importing an Aston from the U.K. The deals that have been available in the U.K. were outstanding! Pricing here is still it seems based on GBP to Euro at 1.50! And then of course I would have a malus tax here of more that 20 k Euros, which I think will raise to over 30 k next year! And rumours say even more in future, plus the registration fee is very high as well. Another 5 k or so?

Here is hoping Aston will release a new EV soon. They skipped the electric Rapide! :mad::mad:
Ouch.
Yes, Aston dealers were hugely overstocked when Tobias Moers took over as CEO so needed to clear the backlog and get back to 'production on demand', and, I hope, profitability. I love Porsche's technological lead but was very disappointed that the 'Electric Sport Sound' doesn't have an ICE setting to sound like a 911 (or even V12 Aston :idea: - if that's not heresy on this platform) .
Sponsored