Does battery supply issues for Audi impact the Taycan?

DallasCajun

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 BMW 540i, 2018 Infiniti Q60S
Country flag
When I saw this report, I wondered if there would be any impact to the supply of the Taycan. I would expect that all VW brands would utilize similar battery technology, if not suppliers. I guess time will tell.

REPORT: AUDI E-TRON PRODUCTION DELAYED, E-TRON SPORTBACK POSTPONED
Autoweek
April 19, 2019

Reports suggest Audi parts suppliers, battery sourcing to blame

Production of crossover EVs is ramping up across the world (mostly in Europe) with the Jaguar I-Pace, the freshly introduced Mercedes-Benz EQC and the Audi e-tron, which we drove last year. But news out of the Audi camp, via Inside EVs and The Brussels Times, is that it can’t get enough battery cells to complete promised production.

From a source to The Brussels Times, “While Audi does not officially comment, internal sources say battery deliveries are not going as planned. According to the same sources, the manufacturer is postponing the next electric car from Audi, the e-tron Sportback production to 2020.”

The batteries come from LG Chem and the Times reports that because of its dominant position (it sells batteries to several manufacturers) it’s pushing up prices. Slow deliveries of electric motors are also to blame, due to a recent strike at the Audi plant in Hungary.

Currently the plant is running six hours a day instead of eight, and it plans to move to a four-day work week soon. Deliveries were scheduled for four to five months, now they’re closer to six or seven months.

Officially, Audi isn’t admitting anything.

"Not an exceptional waiting time for an all-new Audi", says Audi's spokesperson in Belgium, Sofie Luyckx. During the Brussels Motor Show in January, delivery times of four to five months were assumed. It is not clear if the two additional months are due to production capacity or high demand (up 15 percent).”

H/T: The Brussels Times

Sponsored

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You bet
Country flag
When I saw this report, I wondered if there would be any impact to the supply of the Taycan. I would expect that all VW brands would utilize similar battery technology, if not suppliers. I guess time will tell.

REPORT: AUDI E-TRON PRODUCTION DELAYED, E-TRON SPORTBACK POSTPONED
Autoweek
April 19, 2019

Reports suggest Audi parts suppliers, battery sourcing to blame

Production of crossover EVs is ramping up across the world (mostly in Europe) with the Jaguar I-Pace, the freshly introduced Mercedes-Benz EQC and the Audi e-tron, which we drove last year. But news out of the Audi camp, via Inside EVs and The Brussels Times, is that it can’t get enough battery cells to complete promised production.

From a source to The Brussels Times, “While Audi does not officially comment, internal sources say battery deliveries are not going as planned. According to the same sources, the manufacturer is postponing the next electric car from Audi, the e-tron Sportback production to 2020.”

The batteries come from LG Chem and the Times reports that because of its dominant position (it sells batteries to several manufacturers) it’s pushing up prices. Slow deliveries of electric motors are also to blame, due to a recent strike at the Audi plant in Hungary.

Currently the plant is running six hours a day instead of eight, and it plans to move to a four-day work week soon. Deliveries were scheduled for four to five months, now they’re closer to six or seven months.

Officially, Audi isn’t admitting anything.

"Not an exceptional waiting time for an all-new Audi", says Audi's spokesperson in Belgium, Sofie Luyckx. During the Brussels Motor Show in January, delivery times of four to five months were assumed. It is not clear if the two additional months are due to production capacity or high demand (up 15 percent).”

H/T: The Brussels Times

Yep. Every single EV is having troubles outside of China for batteries. Even Tesla and they have a Panasonic factory inside gigafactory 1.

Mhsulli

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P85
Country flag
Yep. Every single EV is having troubles outside of China for batteries. Even Tesla and they have a Panasonic factory inside gigafactory 1.
Yes, Elon just cited battery supply for the 20-30% drop off in production

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You bet
Country flag
Yes, Elon just cited battery supply for the 20-30% drop off in production
Tesla is currently looking at two Chinese battery companies to help compensate.

VAG is in a bit of trouble because they have a contract and have been threatened with battery production throttling as they have been discovered looking into other suppliers.
Oopsie.
Sponsored