Does the battery get heated up by default upon charging?

Iben

First Name
Jean-Are
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S (2020 mod.)
Country flag
I have 400V, 16A (11kW) available in my garage and use a timer to charge the car to SOC 85% between 22:00 and 05:15 each morning (no pre heating).
I use the general profile to charge the car to SOC 45% (minimum charge setting) when I plug in the charger.
When the car reach 45%, it goes into a pause and start to charge again after 22:00 (85% at 05:15).
I have seen during a cold period in Norway (7 degrees in the garage and -10 to -15 outside) that the battery has a temp. of approx. 22 degrees when i use the car 05:20.
The charging will heat up the battery from approx. 7 to 22 degrees during the process.
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
the form from previous thread and have added Test 3 with the lower current.
Interesting how you can force the car for hours to just heat the battery and charge nothing! Also how it stays between 12-14°C for happy charging.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
When the car is left plugged in and pre-heats the battery for a departure that never happens, the energy used to heat the battery is wasted. Of course that doesn't affect the range of the car, but it does affect the overall efficiency. With PMCC or another EVSE that tracks charging, it would be interesting to keep track of total charge supplied vs. miles/KMs driven over time. I remember doing this with the Model S when we first got it back in 2012 but I have gotten lazier since then.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
When the car is left plugged in and pre-heats the battery for a departure that never happens, the energy used to heat the battery is wasted. Of course that doesn't affect the range of the car, but it does affect the overall efficiency. With PMCC or another EVSE that tracks charging, it would be interesting to keep track of total charge supplied vs. miles/KMs driven over time. I remember doing this with the Model S when we first got it back in 2012 but I have gotten lazier since then.
Good idea. It would be interesting to get a more precise idea of the two gross-to-net charging components: 1) the amount of power used for thermally conditioning the battery, and 2) the actual charging losses. Would the latter also depend on the ambient temperature?

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The wall to battery charging losses will vary with temperature but not likely in a meaningful way (nor would we be able to isolate this). So I'd say lump that into battery heating and charging losses. Correlating this battery heating plus charging loss to outdoor temp should show a pattern. If someone is going to log all this, also logging range at the target SOC might be useful for the temperature correlation. See how easy it is for me to add work to someone else...
Sponsored