Dreaded Keyfob issue -

rkm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2022
Country flag
Hi
I recognize that there have been several threads on failing key fobs with a weak battery or after a dealer software update/etc. I have a similar but potentially different issue. Both my key fobs stopped working yesterday. Placing the key fob in the appropriate storage place will allow me to start the car after a few seconds but cannot lock or unlock or the car using the key fob. I replaced both batteries and have had no dealer updates/etc. Fortunately, I am able to use the Porsche App for door operations and then pray that the “key fob in the storage space” works. One coincidence is that this started to occur hours after I dusted off our 992 cabriolet and started using this year and both cars are parked right next to each other. That can’t be it but just worth a thought! Help!!! Anybody seen this?
Sponsored

SilverSpecter

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Given that you've replaced the batteries and there have been no recent dealer updates, the issue may stem from interference or a problem with the key fobs themselves. Check for any potential electronic interference near where your cars are parked. If the problem persists, contact Porsche customer support or visit a dealership for a professional diagnosis and solution. They can pinpoint the issue and get your key fobs functioning correctly.

OP
OP
rkm

rkm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2022
Country flag
Thx. Looks like I need to get the car to the dealer. It is what it is I guess since this one is a bit bizarre. Having two key fobs stop working together and only after I dusted off an adjacently parked 992 from a winter hiatus is too much of a coincidence.

OP
OP
rkm

rkm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2022
Country flag
Here is a not so great update on this issue. The car has been in the shop for a couple of weeks and they still cannot figure it out as to why the two key fobs suddenly stopped working - other than the coincidence that this happened soon after i started to use my 992 (post winter hiatus) and which is parked right next to the Taycan.

Issues they believe could be dysfunctional door locks to “no idea as to why” but we will reprogram the key fobs).

The saving grace (if any) was that it doesn’t look like it is from my own incompetence or inability to replace batteries or placing it closer to anything magnetic/etc.

Andics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST MY24, GLE 300D / Macan4 on order
Country flag
Out of curiosity, which one is the "storage space"?

My Fobs keep blinking red only when I get close to the car and I can't really find a "definitive" answer on what is the reason...but apparently not fob-battery related.

n3ophyte

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Nissan GT-R
Country flag
My Fobs keep blinking red only when I get close to the car and I can't really find a "definitive" answer on what is the reason...but apparently not fob-battery related.
The car communicates with the key fob whenever you get close enough.

I routinely switch my fobs off after locking the car by pressing both the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously until the fob light illuminates. This stops unwanted key/car communication and prevents theft of the Taycan via key relay attack.

Andics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S ST MY24, GLE 300D / Macan4 on order
Country flag
How do you "switch off" the fobs?

iamai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS
Country flag
The car communicates with the key fob whenever you get close enough.

I routinely switch my fobs off after locking the car by pressing both the lock and unlock buttons simultaneously until the fob light illuminates. This stops unwanted key/car communication and prevents theft of the Taycan via key relay attack.
This is what i was looking for: how to disable key fob during car wash. Thanks for that!

BTW, the action you describe causes illumination for a fraction of a second only and pressing any button afterwards causes a short flicker--i think it means the fob has been reactivated?

n3ophyte

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Nissan GT-R
Country flag
BTW, the action you describe causes illumination for a fraction of a second only and pressing any button afterwards causes a short flicker--i think it means the fob has been reactivated?
Correct.

OP
OP
rkm

rkm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2022
Country flag
Hi
I started this thread on both keyfobs not working - batteries replaced, etc but to no avail. The dealer appears to have fixed it (as I just got my car back) and the official note says "The cause of this behavior may be due to tolerances in the sensors of the door handles in combination with modified software. Only door handles with software version SW 19.08 are affected by this issue. Removed and rplaced all 4 outside door handles with door handles equipped with software 19.04, cleared faults, verified correct handling, etc" - go figure!

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi
I started this thread on both keyfobs not working - batteries replaced, etc but to no avail. The dealer appears to have fixed it (as I just got my car back) and the official note says "The cause of this behavior may be due to tolerances in the sensors of the door handles in combination with modified software. Only door handles with software version SW 19.08 are affected by this issue. Removed and rplaced all 4 outside door handles with door handles equipped with software 19.04, cleared faults, verified correct handling, etc" - go figure!
Although not the same problem you posted about, replacing SW 19.08 door handles with SW 19.04 door handles also fixes TSB: The Vehicle Unlocks Again Immediately After Locking.
Sponsored