EA Charging Question -- charging starts around 67 kWh and never gets past 80 kWh ?

Taycanfamily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Porsches
Country flag
2022 RWD. This just started happening. When I plug into a 150kwh station the kWh starts around 67 and never gets past 80. In the past it would start around 135 and dip into high 70s and end up somewhere in 90s. I always got my 85% charge in the allotted 30 minutes. Now I'm lucky to get 75%. Any ideas what changed?
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
OP
OP

Taycanfamily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Porsches
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks Dave. That has to be the reason. The outdoor temperature has been in the 30s and I drive just 5 miles to the charging station. Thanks again
once things drop below 40F ambient temps (cold soaking) things get slightly worse for EV's - lower range and slower fast-charging speeds - more power consumed to compensate for the cold and a number of factors - the good news is once temps come back above 40F everything comes back to "normal"

so in this case it's very very likely what you are seeing is purely weather related

the problem however is that for any given charge rate at a fast charger there is insufficient data provided by either the vehicle or the charging stations to actual determine "why" the charge rate is what it is for any given charging session - so we're left guessing…but charge rate slowness can occur for a very very very large number of reasons so it's like a box of chocolates - ya never know what'cha gonna get.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
2022 RWD. This just started happening. When I plug into a 150kwh station the kWh starts around 67 and never gets past 80. In the past it would start around 135 and dip into high 70s and end up somewhere in 90s. I always got my 85% charge in the allotted 30 minutes. Now I'm lucky to get 75%. Any ideas what changed?
actually if you're getting 67 to 80 kW in 30F ambient temperature you're doing really really well actually given the fastDC performance envelope vs. temperature tables - from my read @louv's seminal post regarding this subject 2+ years ago - that's honestly nearly optimal for conditions.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
charging at home is ideal in winter conditions if possible - you can also heat the vehicle while it's plugged in meaning you use less power to bring the interior up to temp while driving extending winter time range - the five (5) horseman of winter range devistation are:
  1. colder denser air increasing drag resistances causing less range
  2. battery capacity redirected to battery temp maintenance to keep battery warm
  3. poor road conditions increase rolling resistances
  4. more battery power used for cabin temperature maintenance
  5. cold batteries have "less" capacity and it's more costly in terms of resistances to extract the power
the combination of the 5 items above conspire to decrease overall range by up to 30% in some cases…

counters to this are - mostly - store vehicle inside, and condition the vehicle while plugged into home power source - pre-heat the cabin using "AC shore power" - pre-conditioning/charging the vehicle at home warms the battery and the cabin so less power is used while away from hame and during driving to bring both the cabin and battery up to temp…this will mitigate the driving range losses.

22gts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 taycan gts
Country flag
This experience is a sad realization of EV charging times for me.

Low ambient temps recently cause me to get to a EA charger when the battery temp is mid 40 (f).
I plug in and it's a slow 40-50kwh charge.
The battery warms as it's charging and by the time I'm at 75% charge, the battery has warmed to mid 90(f) and charge speed has picked up to 80kwh, but the charge curve at that SOC is slower so it never reaches peak charge speed.

I wish their was a way to precondition the battery before leaving my house. The charger is only 4 miles away, so setting the nav destination makes little/no difference as it tries to precondition on the way.
Sponsored