Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
My accountant just called me. The VIN isn’t being accepted when entering. I had a binding contract in june , and took delivery dec 31. Last I noted, people who had binding contract before inflation reduction act were grandfathered. Anyone able to get the credit or care to elaborate?
Sponsored

Last edited:

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, McLaren 720S Spider, Taycan GTS
Country flag
I am confused. What is not accepting your VIN?
Are you talking about DOT VIN decoder website to check final assembly plant etc.? Just tell your accountant it qualifies as you have binding contract?

OP
OP
Redhot2474

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I am confused. What is not accepting your VIN?
Are you talking about DOT VIN decoder website to check final assembly plant etc.? Just tell your accountant it qualifies as you have binding contract?
His accounting system , whatever that is…once he puts in VIN it rejects it , it accepts TESLA VIN as he just submitted another clients VIN

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yea I don't know what is "rejecting" it. The IRS form only asks that you enter the VIN of the vehicle...

OP
OP
Redhot2474

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I also just read on irs website

• Sellers are required to report your name and taxpayer identification number to the IRS for you to be eligible to claim the credit.

I’m going to call my dealer tomorrow to make sure they submitted my info

outie

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That requirement is likely for 2023 EV credit and beyond. I'd think you fall in the old rule.

OP
OP
Redhot2474

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
That requirement is likely for 2023 EV credit and beyond. I'd think you fall in the old rule.
Even though my VIN is being rejected I’m bypassing the accounting system and taking it. I have all my documentation and ive read everything on IRS website , it’s owed to me based on “transition rule”

ThePaddyWan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, Polestar 2, Maverick
Country flag
I had a similar conversation with my accounting for a Rivian pre-order. His understanding is that even if you still haven't taken delivery of a vehicle, 2022 tax returns can be amended for the tax credit once you do.

However, to fall under the old rebate transition rules, the Binding Agreement must meet all the guidelines (signed before August 16, contain language for substantial / non-refundable deposit and obligation to buy a specific vehicle). The binding agreement (between myself and Rivian) I had does look to qualify, though, other clients only had dealer deposit agreements in place that did not.

The key is definitely the contents of the signed contract.

OP
OP
Redhot2474

Redhot2474

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I had a similar conversation with my accounting for a Rivian pre-order. His understanding is that even if you still haven't taken delivery of a vehicle, 2022 tax returns can be amended for the tax credit once you do.

However, to fall under the old rebate transition rules, the Binding Agreement must meet all the guidelines (signed before August 16, contain language for substantial / non-refundable deposit and obligation to buy a specific vehicle). The binding agreement (between myself and Rivian) I had does look to qualify, though, other clients only had dealer deposit agreements in place that did not.

The key is definitely the contents of the signed contract.
Exactly , thx for feedback

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
The current administration managed to make a simple and clear EV incentive credit into a paperwork nightmare motivated by political causes way more than just incentivizing EV adoption. The rules are changing again on April 18th by the way.
Sponsored