First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes C43
Country flag
Hi all,
First post on this forum. I’m from the UK and looking to purchase my next car. I’m currently in a lease car that I had to take when Covid hit and I’m stuck with it until May ‘24. This gives me 12 months to sort my next car which is about the time I usually take to do so including build and shipping time.
I’ve never bought a Porsche before (been very close a couple times) or an EV. So this is all new and a bit strange. I have the option of handing over £5k to Porsche and waiting 12 months for a new Taycan. However, it seems to me the 12 months isn’t guaranteed either way I.e. could be more or less, which doesn’t suit me at all.
So now I’m thinking either used or finding a new one that I guess somebody has ordered and then backed out of. I see there are currently 18 such cars available in the UK so this is possible. Downside of new cars bought in this way is that I may have to compromise on options. Upside is I get the tax break of buying a new EV.
Buying used has the same downside with the options and I lose the EV tax break. However, I can buy a used one that has already depreciated an equivalent amount to the tax saving on new so costs ‘me’ the same amount as new. Downside is I’m in a car that’s approx 2 years old.
I’m struggling with which way to go but really don’t want to hand money over to Porsche and not really have any clue when I’ll actually take delivery of my car.
I’m asking for experience and thoughts on all the above. Is my thinking flawed in any way?
TIA, CH
Sponsored

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I’d sit down & monitor the market of used Taycan.
I’m pretty sure that there’s no sense to pay a deposit today and wait till May ‘24 to get (if) a car.
Also, there will be much more used Taycans on the market next spring as well.

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. All I can offer is my own opinion, from my personal perspective:
Porsche new car prices are only worthwhile if I can get exactly what I want with no compromise on spec;
£5k deposit refundable until confirmation of build, on a £100k purchase, is less of an issue than not knowing when I'd take delivery (I found it worthwhile to put down 3 such deposits- different dealerships & model variants- to speed up getting a build slot);
If I didn't have my heart set on particular options (including interior and exterior colours), I'd hope to find a suitable low mileage used example.

Hanny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S Carmine Red
Country flag
The market prices are quite difficult to set a precedent, if thinking of route to new: the less risk option is to purchase via salary sacrifice (no deposit, one monthly cost paid before tax, ins/maint/monthly cost all in one), at the end of term, either replace with another order or just walk away - no need to worry about depreciation or if you will loose due to options selected, as it’s all included in your initial agreement/payment plan.

How ever if you want to purchase as a personal transaction- then you have two sides of the coin you need to workout on your own terms - budget, length of intended ownership and how soon you want it- these should help to establish if it’s better for you to purchase new or used.

Fundamentaly its down to your personal circumstances and your needs-wants.

OP
OP

Clawhammer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes C43
Country flag
I’d sit down & monitor the market of used Taycan.
I’m pretty sure that there’s no sense to pay a deposit today and wait till May ‘24 to get (if) a car.
Also, there will be much more used Taycans on the market next spring as well.
Hi, thanks. I’ve been looking through the used Taycan on Porsche’s website and see there’s a lot of choice. I was very surprised at much how highly optioned models depreciated compared to light optioned.
There’s a nice Turbo at the moment for just over £80k and, minimum final payment of £60k after four years. Figures like that make it hard for me to justify buying new.

Reactions: B61

OP
OP

Clawhammer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes C43
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. All I can offer is my own opinion, from my personal perspective:
Porsche new car prices are only worthwhile if I can get exactly what I want with no compromise on spec;
£5k deposit refundable until confirmation of build, on a £100k purchase, is less of an issue than not knowing when I'd take delivery (I found it worthwhile to put down 3 such deposits- different dealerships & model variants- to speed up getting a build slot);
If I didn't have my heart set on particular options (including interior and exterior colours), I'd hope to find a suitable low mileage used example.
Thanks. Yeah, I understand if you want certain options, especially exterior colour and interior trim options, you’re going to need to order new. Fortunately, I’ve never felt the need to deviate from standard colours and trim. I guess I have boring taste. But as you say, this will mean finding a suitable used example will be easier for me.

OP
OP

Clawhammer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes C43
Country flag
The market prices are quite difficult to set a precedent, if thinking of route to new: the less risk option is to purchase via salary sacrifice (no deposit, one monthly cost paid before tax, ins/maint/monthly cost all in one), at the end of term, either replace with another order or just walk away - no need to worry about depreciation or if you will loose due to options selected, as it’s all included in your initial agreement/payment plan.

How ever if you want to purchase as a personal transaction- then you have two sides of the coin you need to workout on your own terms - budget, length of intended ownership and how soon you want it- these should help to establish if it’s better for you to purchase new or used.

Fundamentaly its down to your personal circumstances and your needs-wants.
Thanks. I should have mentioned in my original post that I’m self employed so salary sacrifice isn’t an option for me. However, buying a new EV in the UK allows you to expense the full cost in year one relative to your percentage business use. So if I bought a £100k Taycan I would save £30k in tax based on 75% business use. To me, that seems like I’m getting a £100k vehicle for £70k. I’m giving the £30k to Porsche instead of the government.

Budget is easy as I just can’t justify to myself (my wife really) spending more than £100k on a car. I keep my cars for 4 years and I need it in May 24 as that’s when my current car goes back. I don’t want to put a deposit down on a vehicle unless I’m 100% confident on when I can take delivery of it. Under the circumstances I guess my only option is to look for both new and used nearer to the time and see what’s available at that point in time.

It’s frustrating not being able to sort now like I normally would I.e. discuss options on a forum, build a car 1,000’s of times until finally placing an order. Then hammering the forums whilst waiting for delivery and following the cars progress down the production line and shipping to uk. The way I’m going to have to do it feels a lot less exciting. First world issues and all that 😭

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Why don’t you create your own build on Porsche configurator, then share it here….and based on different opinions you might learn a lot about pros:cons of desired/selected options.
After that, just wait till next March/April then start investigating what’s available on used market.

Austintin

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 2014
Country flag
I'm a practical individual who values financial prudence and immediate gratification. While I admire the allure of a brand-new Taycan, I recognize the wisdom in acquiring a used one. The initial depreciation has already occurred, allowing me to enjoy the same exceptional performance and luxury at a significantly reduced cost. Additionally, the availability of used Taycans with low mileage expands my options here and allows me to find the ideal configuration without compromising on quality.
Sponsored

Last edited: