OP
TeslaHeart

TeslaHeart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
can anyone clarify exactly what this issue is? is it the one about the latest recall when you receive the red screen that says driver must assume command and power is cut?
The issue is related to the hazard warning lamp auto activation that needed to be reprogram. It was considered an stop sale. All cars in ports and dealers were waiting for this update since early October.
Sponsored

faroutinNM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan Turbo, '05 MINI Cooper S
Country flag
can anyone clarify exactly what this issue is? is it the one about the latest recall when you receive the red screen that says driver must assume command and power is cut?
Yes, I coincidentally experienced the warning just a few weeks ago, and was very pleased with the way it works. Too bad US regulations will once again take a useful function from us.

It happened just before I heard or read anything about this function and the recall. I was starting out quickly into a left turn on a lit green arrow, at the same time that the car opposite me did the same. When we momentarily were aimed straight at each other in our normal, safe progress (it was just a half-second after taking off), I got a few seconds of rapidly flashing hazard lights, as indicated visually on the instrument cluster (the pair of opposing green turn-arrows flashed) and also audibly with the clacking sound. For a millisecond, I was "Whaaat!?" But then, I could immediately understand what it was doing and why (with the help of a slight jolt of adrenaline), and my thought was "How nice!". It's great to get an attention-grabbing indication like that when a head-on collision seems imminent. It ceased after a few seconds, and so it was not needlessly annoying, once safe traffic conditions were quickly observed.

IMO, it's a well-designed, effective safety function. So, of course we can't have it in the US. There are a lot of nice things that various groups of people can't have simply because they are too stupid to properly appreciate them. My expectation is that the software update will still include the collision warning, but without using the hazard lights, probably limiting it to the multiple-red-arrows symbol on the instrument cluster. To me, it would still be more effective to include the external flashing, to alert other drivers (like, for instance, the one who is aimed at you).

I did finally find a (slightly vague) reference to this situation in the Intersection Assist section of the manual. However, it doesn't specifically mention the "emergency lights" (using the manual's parlance):

"When your vehicle accelerates from a stillstand, the system may not detect a turn-off or may only
detect a turn-off after a delay under certain circumstances. The system may assume you are
driving straight on and generate a false collision warning."

Last edited:

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
Yes, it is. According to everything I've read, there's an inertia sensor in the airbag control module and input from the ADAS which throws on the hazard lights when the car senses an accident is imminent it throws on the hazard lights.

This violates Section 108 of the Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and the NHTSA even went as far as to tell Porsche that the function would "confuse other drivers". The fix is apparently a recalibration of something in that airbag control module and a firmware flash (they could be synonymous, somebody that's received their car should be able to tell us).
Sponsored