Is Porsche using cheap materials?

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Busy life. I figured it would just be a replay of last clinic. Maybe next one I will attend to just hang out with the other owners (future or current - last time it was mostly future, but supply of Taycans seems to have improved a lot since then).
(thread hijacking in progress) Was just going to reply to @jakeCT and you - I completely forgot about this. Hopefully I'll see some of you at the P-car events around as the snow starts to melt.
Sponsored

OP
OP
whitex

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I doubt it but suggest holding back from vehicles in front (I'm paranoid about this stuff) as this looks to effectively be road rash on the headlights. Normal to get something but that looks quite severe.
I never drive close behind any cars - a habit I learned as a teenager driving a 2 seater with my school books on the front seat, so any hard braking would mean books all over the floor. During regular street driving I accelerate hard, but avoid braking hard, hence lots of space in front of the car. That and I don't want cracked windshields.

jakeCT

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
missed: RX8 / current: Model 3, MYP / CT4 waitlist
Country flag
You'd think, as a premium car, they would design a better solution. Worst lights wear of all cars I've had, including a 2002 911C4 - perhaps back then they had a better design (whether better material or aero keeping high velocity debris off the lights?).

Neh, then it would be pitted ppf, so same look, but more expensive (I don't care if plastic underneath is in a better shape if it still looks the same on the outside). Also, as @Tooney mentioned, Porsche says not to cover lights, so I wonder if they'd use it as an excuse to void their warranty. I might polish them myself once a year or two, not a lot of surface area, so shouldn't take long.

Busy life. I figured it would just be a replay of last clinic. Maybe next one I will attend to just hang out with the other owners (future or current - last time it was mostly future, but supply of Taycans seems to have improved a lot since then).
Thanks to your post here I did some reading into Porsche's headlight coating. I think your 2002 just predated when they started it.

The STEK film applied by MD in July 2020 on my Model Y still looks very good. There's one notable blemish on there which came from a significant rock strike just a week after the film install (and they even offered to replace it for free and provide me a loaner; I declined because it sounded overkill); other headlight surfaces still look great.

Porsche Taycan Is Porsche using cheap materials? 1 (4)

The mostly-vertical design of the current headlights could be making the road rash issue worse; and likely a reason (and for aero) that Porsche appears to be redesigning the shape of the new lights for the facelift.

I personally will be insisting on PPF on the headlights for my future CT, with this in mind: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3...ys-no-to-ppf-for-headlights.html#post15509707 (I have a lot of respect for these guys)

(thread hijacking in progress) Was just going to reply to @jakeCT and you - I completely forgot about this. Hopefully I'll see some of you at the P-car events around as the snow starts to melt.
(thread jack continues) Yeah, there was only one other CT owner (Crayon with gloss black 21" wheels); otherwise it was a replay of November's event, including a service lift look at the end. It was a nice chance for me to check out the interiors of the 6 Taycans in the store without any sales people (mostly used, 1 CT Turbo S, and a new TTS with olea). I have not moved beyond the deposit for my CT with P Bellevue yet; waiting for MY 2024 news (regardless of facelift, of which Brandon said it's looking more like a 2025).

Porsche Taycan Is Porsche using cheap materials? 1 (5)

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Neh, then it would be pitted ppf, so same look, but more expensive (I don't care if plastic underneath is in a better shape if it still looks the same on the outside). Also, as @Tooney mentioned, Porsche says not to cover lights, so I wonder if they'd use it as an excuse to void their warranty. I might polish them myself once a year or two, not a lot of surface area, so shouldn't take long.
Not sure it would though since a lot of the PPF are self healing when some hot water is put on them. Secondly the PPF is very easy to remove and a new put on.

Polishing a m plastic headlight cover will also remove the coating that has been put on, especially if the plastic is pitted. That would mean you need to take off some material. Not sure how you re apply a coating then.

I guess most of the issue are that the headlight covers are so square against The front. New design will come in refresh I am sure.

foofighter

First Name
timur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
And still hijacking the thread...

(thread jack continues) Yeah, there was only one other CT owner (Crayon with gloss black 21" wheels); otherwise it was a replay of November's event, including a service lift look at the end.
Where can I find details about this event? I didn't buy the Taycan from Bellevue because of their ADM policy, but am curious to see/meet other Taycan-owners in the PNW area.

WasserGKuehlt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4CT, 996C2, MacanS
Country flag
Where can I find details about this event? I didn't buy the Taycan from Bellevue because of their ADM policy, but am curious to see/meet other Taycan-owners in the PNW area.
For local meets, PCA Pacific NW Region or E@RTC (exoticsat.com) . (Or Avants.) It was very disappointing not to see any Taycans last year at PNWR day at Black Raven.

This particular event was P of Bellevue; @whitex mentioned it, but I did not merit a direct invitation from the dealership. (Didn't acquire the car, nor had a deposit with them but I did have a few exchanges with people there. Their list was just too damn long.)

Tsingtao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toucan RWD
Country flag
Between the terrible experience I had at my dealer (apparently I should count myself blessed to grovel and pay $20k to go on a waitlist and this is part of the Porsche experience), broken heaters and potential 6 month delays, and (maybe) fragile headlights….the rational part of me keeps thinking I made a huge mistake. I trust the driving experience is good enough for my heart to silence the brain.
The heater will be fine, as will be the headlights. Just take a deep breath and focus on threads that explain how to operate and maintain the car rather than threads which highlight problems (real and/or imagined). No company on Earth could build a car that would satisfy all of the people on this forum, so try to keep what you read in perspective. Unless you take delivery of a complete lemon (very unlikely) or are an insufferable malcontent, both your heart and your brain will immensely enjoy your Taycan.
Sponsored