Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
The Nurburgring time of the Taycan Turbo was quite frankly a big disappointment for me. 7:42 just doesn't seem right when you have a Ferrari Enzo at 7:25, and the Top Gear most recent test of the Taycan Turbo S had a time of 1:17.6 and the Enzo had 1:19. The top Gear track is quite compact with a lot of lower speed turns that would put the much heavier Taycan at a disadvantage compared to the much faster Nurburgring. Certainly the Turbo S should have a 'ring' time closer to the 7:25 I would think. Any explanations or thoughts? Certainly the Turbo S will be quicker, but not 20 seconds quicker than the Turbo...
Sponsored

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
The Nurburgring time of the Taycan Turbo was quite frankly a big disappointment for me. 7:42 just doesn't seem right when you have a Ferrari Enzo at 7:25, and the Top Gear most recent test of the Taycan Turbo S had a time of 1:17.6 and the Enzo had 1:19. The top Gear track is quite compact with a lot of lower speed turns that would put the much heavier Taycan at a disadvantage compared to the much faster Nurburgring. Certainly the Turbo S should have a 'ring' time closer to the 7:25 I would think. Any explanations or thoughts? Certainly the Turbo S will be quicker, but not 20 seconds quicker than the Turbo...
The weight is so well masked by all the chassis controls that the limiting factor on the Ring is rather the top speed and not the cornering speed and certainly not the acceleration. And these factors contribute inversely to the faster lap time at a short sinuous track where top speed is no object. in my uneducated opinion.. :cool:

OP
OP
Vim Schrotnock

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
The weight is so well masked by all the chassis controls that the limiting factor on the Ring is rather the top speed and not the cornering speed and certainly not the acceleration. And these factors contribute inversely to the faster lap time at a short sinuous track where top speed is no object. in my uneducated opinion.. :cool:
So was the Turbo limited, and that's why the time is so much slower? Seems like a crazy thing to do.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Isn’t the top speed limited on all Taycans? 160mph IIRC?
Yes its supposed to be 261km/h in reality a little faster 269km/h so no way ner as fast on top speed as an Enzo

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
Yeah it's definitely the top speed that makes the difference on tracks like that. Taycan is pretty good in turns due to having such a low center of gravity and can accelerate from a turn like a rocket, but on longs straights it doesn't have the top speed to match some cars.

That being said, with some practise I'm sure the time can be improved. But I don't think there is anything fishy here.

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Does anyone know - is the Taycan top speed the top speed the car is actually capable of? Or close to it? Or is it an imposed “governor” on the speed of the car...
Sponsored