Mobile Charger Connect a required option?

rdt12344

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 T8
Country flag
Hi all

I ordered a 4S through a lease company. I’ve had an email saying that the mobile charger connect is a required ‘option’ on all uk cars. If it’s required how can it be an option?

I. Have a few type 2 charging cables.
Is saying this is a £639 option the same as a dealer asking me if I want the optional fuel tank? And why so expensive.
Sponsored

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
Hi all

I ordered a 4S through a lease company. I’ve had an email saying that the mobile charger connect is a required ‘option’ on all uk cars. If it’s required how can it be an option?

I. Have a few type 2 charging cables.
Is saying this is a £639 option the same as a dealer asking me if I want the optional fuel tank? And why so expensive.
Hi Rob,

They don't have enough stock of the standard Mobile Charger so you are forced to take the the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect for now until post June (at least)

It's £639 as it's the more expensive colour version and is really for mounting rather than as an expensive portable charger.

Don't but the type 2 cable that they sell for £210 as you can pickup a much better one for about £110.

Porsche Taycan Mobile Charger Connect a required option? charger.JPG

OP
OP

rdt12344

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 T8
Country flag
Thanks so much mate - very excited but I expect a very long wait in prospect !

OP
OP

rdt12344

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 T8
Country flag
Ok mate. It’s madness isn’t it! If they don’t have stock then anyone else would push the dearer one at at a reduced price wouldn’t they ? Anyway I’ve gone ahead because the impact on the monthly payment is negligible

Benjamin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Twingo
Country flag
The Mobile Charger Connect is also anything but mobile. It weighs almost 2.5 kilos without cable. With cables, it can hardly be carried with one hand. It also has Wifi, a web server and therefore a web interface. It's actually quite nice. If you are honest, it is a wallbox. You can't do anything else with it but hang it on the wall. But: The mount for it is already included.

OP
OP

rdt12344

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 T8
Country flag
Cheers all, I’m right in thinking though it’s just really the three noon trickle charger ?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree with the issue of the cable not being bundled with EU vehicles.
However as far as making a big deal about the 150kW DC-DC converter upgrade, I am not so sure. I looked at PlugShare in the UK and see only about 5 >120kW stations that are not 350kW (which implies 800v anyway). Admiralty there are so few DCFCs in the UK; however, Ionity seems to have plans on a large expansion and I really think 800v systems will be common by 2022 so the question is how often will you be needing a DCFC that is not already 800v. Certainly not recommended for your daily needs anyway as it's a strain on the battery.

OP
OP

rdt12344

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 T8
Country flag
so it’s just a three pin trickle charger - 700 quid with vat - madness

on a separate note has anyone got even a ball park idea how long I’ll be waiting ? Order only just made , plus covid delays. Just need to think of a stop gap

cheers

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
so it’s just a three pin trickle charger - 700 quid with vat - madness

on a separate note has anyone got even a ball park idea how long I’ll be waiting ? Order only just made , plus covid delays. Just need to think of a stop gap

cheers
The Porsche Connect charger supports 11kW in UK with 400v 32A supply so I read.

The date estimate is best provided by the dealer that you put the order in with. In the USA it depends on dealership allocations.
Sponsored