louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
When configuring your car, be sure to add the option of the new Retractable Glass Spoiler.

Porsche Taycan New Retractable Glass Spoiler. IMG_1859

It is a little fragile, though, so be careful. Especially in Florida.

Ok, so I was little bored while spending two hours trying to get the "Porsche Charging Service" to work. We are in the early days, and they certainly haven't worked the bugs out yet. The App can't find all the charging stations yet. The folks on the help line have little or no experience with the whole eco-system (App, car, charging stations, etc.). The charging stations can only reach if you block two spaces. The charge rates are not what I'd expect. I'm only seeing 50-60kW from a 350kW Station. I don't expect 270kW when my battery is 60% full, but with "preconditioned" batteries (over 60°F) I expect it to take less than 30 minutes to get me from Anything to 80%.

Porsche Taycan New Retractable Glass Spoiler. IMG_1839

(wow look at that dust!)

Porsche Taycan New Retractable Glass Spoiler. IMG_1843

And then the volume control wouldn't go above -1.

Porsche Taycan New Retractable Glass Spoiler. IMG_1865.JPG

Anyway, it's pretty.

Porsche Taycan New Retractable Glass Spoiler. IMG_1836

Porsche Taycan New Retractable Glass Spoiler. IMG_1844

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To be clear, the support folks are all very nice, and (eventually) helpful, but they are new to this car, just like I am. There are no experts, yet... well, none outside Stuttgart, anyway. No disrespect intended. We're all learning.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Nice to see your car in the winter weather!

I am really surprised about your comment that the charging cable will not reach if you drive straight into the space? That seems so not German engineering? Here in Europe the Ionity chargers I have experienced the chargers to stand between the two bays and reach the cars just fine. Really disappointing for you that it does not work properly.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Nice to see your car in the winter weather!

I am really surprised about your comment that the charging cable will not reach if you drive straight into the space? That seems so not German engineering? Here in Europe the Ionity chargers I have experienced the chargers to stand between the two bays and reach the cars just fine. Really disappointing for you that it does not work properly.
If I park sideways (perpendicular to the painted lines, occupying two spaces) it works.

If I park as the lines are painted, it does not reach.

If I park parallel to the lines, but with the edge of my car aligned exactly with the cable (and therefore in two spaces) then it barely will reach. But I need to touch the bollard with my bumper to be close enough.

Singularity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY 2020 Taycan 4S, MY 2022 Audi Q7 60 TFSIe
Country flag
That is very interesting. As I'm not experienced with EV's, I have no idea how the charging stations generally are over here in Finland. I know of them, and know there is a lot of them, but no experience in use or parking. I certainly hope they generally work out better than the one you had experience with. If the stations are crowded it's not possible to park that way.

I've read more commonly about issues such as where a single station has two outputs, and the first driver has parked on the wrong side of his output (let's say it has CCS & Chademo, or CCS & Type 2) and is using the cord from the other side of the station. And then you come in and with some cars you can't park to the other slot and use the output on the other side of the station. But this kind of issue where you actually can't reach to it in this ideal charging situation (no one there), I haven't heard of much. It's a bit concerning actually, that perhaps the charging slot location of the Taycan is not ideal.

If it were in the back, it would be no problem getting close enough. But in this case with a short cord, the front of the car takes quite a bit of space. I expect this to not be an issue with Ionity chargers as they have probably tested the car with them a lot, but the question is how about all the other chargers.

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
That is very interesting. As I'm not experienced with EV's, I have no idea how the charging stations generally are over here in Finland. I know of them, and know there is a lot of them, but no experience in use or parking. I certainly hope they generally work out better than the one you had experience with. If the stations are crowded it's not possible to park that way.

I've read more commonly about issues such as where a single station has two outputs, and the first driver has parked on the wrong side of his output (let's say it has CCS & Chademo, or CCS & Type 2) and is using the cord from the other side of the station. And then you come in and with some cars you can't park to the other slot and use the output on the other side of the station. But this kind of issue where you actually can't reach to it in this ideal charging situation (no one there), I haven't heard of much. It's a bit concerning actually, that perhaps the charging slot location of the Taycan is not ideal.

If it were in the back, it would be no problem getting close enough. But in this case with a short cord, the front of the car takes quite a bit of space. I expect this to not be an issue with Ionity chargers as they have probably tested the car with them a lot, but the question is how about all the other chargers.
I am fairly experienced since I've had an i3 for 3 years. It recently dawned on me that just about all 50 kW and 150 kW chargers will be impossible to use if you have to park a Taycan front in, which you have to at most stations, at least here in Norway. I know that E-Tron and i-Pace owners also have problems with this, but they're better off as they have the charging port on the left side and most chargers have the cable coming out on that same side, so they can make it, but it's a very tight fit. Ionity chargers should be OK, at least the ones I've seen so far.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If I park as the lines are painted, it does not reach.
Thanks for the realistic but disappointing info. that is really bizarre.

I would guess they wanted to keep the cable short due to the 350w and the cooling requirement, but an extra foot or so should be a no brainer. In that article about EA, they mentioned they are testing future cars, so one would think they should have tested whether the cables work in a real world setting.

Since you are a customer now, it would be great if you can contact EA and tell them this - before they roll out more.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Since you are a customer now, it would be great if you can contact EA and tell them this - before they roll out more.
Yes, it is on my list. I need to better document the problem. Pictures, etc. Today I was busy just trying to get Porsche Charging Service to work with my local chargers.

Them: “Well, you could just go to the next nearest charging station.”

Me: “Yes, I could. But it is 91km away, in a different state. So I won’t be doing that.”

I *think* they added my local chargers to the database right after I hung up. Because suddenly they appeared on the map. Or, they appear (and disappear) randomly. Equally possible.

There’s a reason they call it “the bleeding edge.”

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes, it is on my list. I need to better document the problem. Pictures, etc. Today I was busy just trying to get Porsche Charging Service to work with my local chargers.

Them: “Well, you could just go to the next nearest charging station.”
actually, I meant point out the issue of the length of the cables, since I assume that is standard. Or was there something goofy that the station is too far away from the curb for the car to get close enough to charge?

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Thanks for the realistic but disappointing info. that is really bizarre.

I would guess they wanted to keep the cable short due to the 350w and the cooling requirement, but an extra foot or so should be a no brainer. In that article about EA, they mentioned they are testing future cars, so one would think they should have tested whether the cables work in a real world setting.

The fact that EA is a subsidiary of VW makes me think feedback from a Taycan ownerwould be really important to them. Very strange; wonder if this is just related to how far in from the curb the charger is mounted when it was installed?

One question; have you run into any issues with trying to open the doors when the car is covered in ice? Am I right that there is some kind of motor that extends the handle, allowing you to open the door?

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
The fact that EA is a subsidiary of VW makes me think feedback from a Taycan ownerw ould be really important to them. Very strange; wonder if this is just related to how far in from the curb the charger is mounted when it was installed?

One question; have you run into any issues with trying to open the doors when the car is covered in ice? Am I right that there is some kind of motor that extends the handle, allowing you to open the door?
EA was funded primarily by VW and is in the same office space, but operates independently (a requirement of the settlement agreement).
However, VW customers are going to be maybe the largest users of the EA system, so I am sure they will have a big influence on EA

I don't have the car, that was Louv, so I don't know that answer.

svp6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S
Country flag
What gives? The demo's in California seemed to have no problem charging from Electrify America - not for the length of the cable anyway. Maybe this is an issue with one of the 4 types of chargers EA is using? The pedestal looks higher in the youtube video.

Now that you had it for more time, what is the ballpark usage on Highway? I see your 61% - 116 miles means ~ 190 miles in winter driving. I suppose that is mixed driving, curious about highway range / consumption.

Thank you!

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
actually, I meant point out the issue of the length of the cables, since I assume that is standard. Or was there something goofy that the station is too far away from the curb for the car to get close enough to charge?
Yes. The cable length. But it usually helps to have visual aids.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No significant issues opening the door.
But a layer of ice did accumulate one day where the lower part of the window meets the body. It was frozen and the window couldn’t roll down the 1/2” it does to clear the door seals. The window motor tried over and over again, failing to move the window at all. It stopped trying once I closed the door.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
What gives? The demo's in California seemed to have no problem charging from Electrify America - not for the length of the cable anyway. Maybe this is an issue with one of the 4 types of chargers EA is using? The pedestal looks higher in the youtube video.

Now that you had it for more time, what is the ballpark usage on Highway? I see your 61% - 116 miles means ~ 190 miles in winter driving. I suppose that is mixed driving, curious about highway range / consumption.

Thank you!
A couple of issues. One, in 20°F weather, the charging cable doesn’t flex much. The cable needs to be twisted slightly to meet the car, and when super cold, it doesn’t want to do that.
Second, the plows leave 3-12” of snow in front of stations. So I have to nose right into a snow bank to get close enough.
Third, I’d wager the California test cars moved their cars a few feet to one side or the other to reach. If you align the car’s side to the cable, it reaches. Just... barely. Or they have longer cables.

my range is being significantly affected by the time I have the car Conditioning itself. It was 17°F this morning. The car was heating itself (including the battery pack) up from ambient temps to interior temp of 67°F, and batteries were up to about 50°F. It also warms the seats, the steering wheel, and the rear window defroster. It’s spending 30 minutes warming the car.

I do not yet have a home charger. So I’m burning range for my comfort. (And clear windows).

with all of that, I’m hesitant to quote actual range because it’s... complicated.
Sponsored