Ovo energy charge anytime users

Porcupine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Can I jump into this thread and resurrect it pls?
I enabled OVO Anytime last night and plugged in to charge. As far as I can tell it was charging all night (@2.2kW). Just had a wallbox fitted and it's now charging at 7kW.
Even though the car was already above the minimum 10% charge threshold I'm surprised that both times I've plugged in the car has started charging immediately, and was charging continuously, even through what I'd consider the morning busy period.
Can those of you with experience of Anytime tell me whether this is normal? How often on a week day is the discounted charging rate available?
Secondly, no new charging timers have appeared in the Porsche app yet. Is that normal? I expected to see the Anytime service replace the timers I'd added to the car through the app.
Finally, should I have 'Direct charging' enabled or disabled in the car? Or doesn't it matter?
Sponsored

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I enabled OVO Anytime last night and plugged in to charge. As far as I can tell it was charging all night (@2.2kW). Just had a wallbox fitted and it's now charging at 7kW.
Even though the car was already above the minimum 10% charge threshold I'm surprised that both times I've plugged in the car has started charging immediately, and was charging continuously, even through what I'd consider the morning busy period.
Can those of you with experience of Anytime tell me whether this is normal? How often on a week day is the discounted charging rate available?
Secondly, no new charging timers have appeared in the Porsche app yet. Is that normal? I expected to see the Anytime service replace the timers I'd added to the car through the app.
Finally, should I have 'Direct charging' enabled or disabled in the car? Or doesn't it matter?
In reverse order -
Direct charging - disabled as it overrides everything including ovo or another profiles you have. Will fill up to 100% as quickly as possible.

The somewhat odd and random timers that appear in the app are 'normal'. Apparently its how the enode profile (part of ovo) works.

When you look at your charging screen in the car it should have enode written at the top. I think this should mean ovo anytime is working (if not charging at the moment).

Check your ovo app has the minimum set to whatever you want it to automatically charge up to whatever, your maximum or target charge and a time you want the car ready for. Mine tends to charge overnight, but i have my target time set to 7am. so think it leaves it as late as possible. I've not experienced it charging straight away during the day, but ive never asked it to. I'm pretty sure there isn't a specific window that 'cheap' electric is available form ovo, i think its more dynamic than that.

If you have direct charge enabled then that's why it will be filling up whatever and ignoring ovo.

Also worth checking the savings tab at bottom of the ovo app. It shows you what you've saved/been given back. So if you've got some cash against yesterdays date, then ovo app was doing its job and giving you cheap electric.

Porcupine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
Thanks for the detailed reply, BigBob.
I just opened the Porsche app to see whether I'd left Direct Charging enabled, and suddenly OVO has paused the charging, which gives me more confidence that it is actually working as expected. It says it's going to restart charging after 23:30, so I guess the electricity network is busier in the afternoons than the mornings.
For the first time a random timer has appeared in the car's settings. This has replaced the timer I'd set up for pre-heating the cabin in time for my morning commute. Can I not have heating timers set any more?
I've got to do a 82 mile round trip this evening, so with a range showing of 92 miles I guess I need to throw some full-price electricity in it this afternoon. Ho hum.

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
ch
Thanks for the detailed reply, BigBob.
I just opened the Porsche app to see whether I'd left Direct Charging enabled, and suddenly OVO has paused the charging, which gives me more confidence that it is actually working as expected. It says it's going to restart charging after 23:30, so I guess the electricity network is busier in the afternoons than the mornings.
For the first time a random timer has appeared in the car's settings. This has replaced the timer I'd set up for pre-heating the cabin in time for my morning commute. Can I not have heating timers set any more?
I've got to do a 82 mile round trip this evening, so with a range showing of 92 miles I guess I need to throw some full-price electricity in it this afternoon. Ho hum.
Try Changing departure time to when you want to leave. It may change when it plans to start charging.

As for the heating thing. Dunno!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
  1. The charging session will start immediately regardless until OVO decides that it should pause. Normally this would be after a few minutes and when the minimum charge level has been met.
  2. Enode is the automatic profile that is generated. Screenshot from My Porsche website (more info than from the app). Your in car lower display will show something similar as will the My Porsche App. Ignore the random times. Rely on the Charge Anytime App for departure time and minimum charge when charging at home where the OVO supply is.
  3. Separate departure timer can be set for heating / cooling (remember too that you can start on demand via the My Porsche app / website.
  4. 7p / kW is available any day of the week at any time of day as determined by OVO for your area - so everyone will be different.
  5. Direct Charging should not be enabled as that will simply override and timer when charging from an AC source (no effect when DC charging).
  6. Sleep easy - this is the greatest domestic home charging app EVER offering ludicrously low charging rates (previously 10p / kW and now 7p) - cheap as chips.
Porsche Taycan Ovo energy charge anytime users 1700683854391

Porcupine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan CT 4S
Country flag
7p / kW is available any day of the week at any time of day as determined by OVO for your area - so everyone will be different.
Gotcha.
Direct Charging should not be enabled as that will simply override and timer when charging from an AC source (no effect when DC charging).
Didn't know that this didn't affect the DC charging. Thanks.
Sleep easy - this is the greatest domestic home charging app EVER offering ludicrously low charging rates (previously 10p / kW and now 7p) - cheap as chips.
This is what I'm realising! Amazing value.

Thanks for all the help and advice you've all provided. Really appreciate it.

Dabz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4S PB+
Country flag
It's brilliant value - and you can cheat the system by setting your departure time sooner so it starts immediately. Just annoying when the car loses connection - this week I spent way more than anticipated because Porsche's servers went down and given the option I didn't need to charge.

The app also proves how easy Porsche could have made their charge timer/profile settings
Sponsored