BayAreaKen

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 650i Convertible
Country flag
I bought my 4S on September 15. In that time, mainly because of Covid-19 and that I am working from home, I haven’t had much need to drive. In fact, I have only put 198 miles on Farrah (that’s her name, see story here). Presently, she is at the detailers getting a clear wrap (front and doors) and ceramic coating.

I wanted to write today to document my mysterious connectivity issues that I believe have finally been resolved. Allow me to elaborate.

When I was buying the car and still at the dealership, I was playing around with the PCM. I was able to click on the Apple Music icon, where it took me to a sign-in screen. I signed onto my account and within moments, my whole library and Apple Music history was transferred over. It was exciting.

Shortly after that, the salesman comes back and walks me through logging into my MyPorsche configuration. It wasn’t very challenging. But because I have been an avid TaycanForum reader, I felt I had enough knowledge and/or resources in which to do the rest by myself. He was clearly not up to speed on teaching me the system, and was making guesses as to what to do next, so I extricated myself from the dealership and decided to do the set-up at home.

I had YouTube videos from Paul Steinbruner who helped me with HomeLink and custom charging settings. But I noticed my Apple Music wasn’t working anymore. Clicking on the icon took me nowhere. And even with the video, my HomeLink wouldn't work.

When I went back into my house and logged into the desktop version of MyPorsche, every “service” that was in my PCM showed a status of “pending” as if it wasn’t already installed (it was). After owning the car for a week, and the status of “pending” having not changed, I finally broke down and called Porsche Connect. [side note: If you call the Porsche Customer Service main number, and ask for Connect, you will get Porsche Car Connect, which is different from Porsche Connect. It took about 15 minutes for the people there to understand that the similar naming convention is not working to their advantage. Regardless, the folks at the Porsche Customer Support number can indeed transfer you to Porsche Car Connect, but they can NOT transfer you to Porsche Connect, which is what you need for assistance with your Taycan PCM connectivity issues. Their number direct is 612-253-3706. You’re welcome.]

The Rep on the phone was very quick to point out that something was wrong. He had me do a complete factory reset on the PCM. Essentially, I had to start over. This means I lost all of my settings, but also my SiriusXM connection and my phone app wouldn’t talk to my car. Regardless, I was happy to be receiving some help. After we went through the set-up, he told me the “services” would be transferred to my car by the next day. Naturally, when I went to my car the next day, they weren’t there. So I called back. A different guy saw the call log and confirmed what was supposed to happen, but he also saw the services as “pending” still. So…he escalated the issue to “Germany.”

When I say “my services” weren’t in my PCM, I’m talking about the ability for the car to recognize my MyPorsche settings as well as the credit card on file so I could charge at Electrify America, no weather, no news, no ability for me to see where my car is using the app, etc.

Finally, four days later (just last Saturday), the apps all appeared magically. Someone, somewhere, did something to make it all work. It would have been nice to receive a phone call or an email or a text, but I see that it worked, so that will suffice as evidence that people fixed the problem, whatever the problem really was.

Interestingly, when I was on my desktop MyPorsche website, there was the link to sign into my Apple Music account, which I did. About 10 minutes later, the Apple Music icon re-appeared in my PCM. I also re-tried to connect my HomeLink and this time, it only took one try! Whatever cobwebs were in the system, seem to be removed.

What I can’t seem to do is send an address directly from the MyPorsche app (from my desktop or phone app) to the Nav system. Perhaps I’m doing something wrong. If anybody has guidance for me there, I’d appreciate your help.

Also, I’m confused as to how to tell the car to pre-condition the battery. Do I always have to program in a charging destination into the Nav, so it does something while I’m driving there?

Lastly, I have lost my ability to use the “Hey Porsche” functionality. It was there prior to me resetting my system. And now it’s gone. What’s odd is that I have all the little check-boxes “checked” in that setting. It *should* be working given what’s selected.

This car’s user systems are too damn complex and the User Interface is abysmal. It shouldn't be this hard to get the car configured! But as we all know, simply driving the car is like driving a dream. I’ve never owned a better driving/performing car. Not even close.
Sponsored

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Well @BayAreaKen, I only dare to answer one question you had as I do not have my car in my possession yet to attempt to answer the others.

Also, I’m confused as to how to tell the car to pre-condition the battery. Do I always have to program in a charging destination into the Nav, so it does something while I’m driving there?
Currently the only way to trigger battery preconditioning is to navigate to a fast charger. If one has Sport Chrono, which I know you do. You can put the car into Sport+ mode which will also precondition the battery for optimal Performance but that is similar to optimal charging. Be aware that Sport+ does lower the suspension so watch out for speed bumps, ramps etc.

Hope your other problems disappear quickly and perhaps with even an explanation.