nycebo

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS, Mercedes E450 Wagon
Country flag
It is most definitely a software issue that should be fixable. I think there are just too many more critical other software issues that they have to focus on. But hey let’s make another thread and stretch the backup camera topic to infinity ?
I do think this could be the heart of the matter. Porsche's wide angle camera is not a hardware adjustment but rather a software one. So as you mentioned, perhaps it can be resolved eventually.

However, these little issues, and there are many, simply beg one to ask how many corners VW/Porsche cut in rolling out these cars. And unfortunately for the rear camera assist, it is a particularly irritating reminder of this fact every time we back up the car.
Sponsored

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
I do think this could be the heart of the matter. Porsche's wide angle camera is not a hardware adjustment but rather a software one. So as you mentioned, perhaps it can be resolved eventually.

However, these little issues, and there are many, simply beg one to ask how many corners VW/Porsche cut in rolling out these cars. And unfortunately for the rear camera assist, it is a particularly irritating reminder of this fact every time we back up the car.
The issue is also present on the Cayenne and Panamera. So it's been around a while and not specific to the Taycan.

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
The camera is very bad. No one can deny that. People saying that you have to be able to rely on the camera or on any drivers assists for 100% are living in a distant utopian future. Reality is not like that and literally everyone from car makers to drivers clubs advice not to fully rely on the assists. Sounds to me like the people that believe FSD really means full self driving and sleep behind the wheel.

It is most definitely a software issue that should be fixable. I think there are just too many more critical other software issues that they have to focus on. But hey let’s make another thread and stretch the backup camera topic to infinity ?
Clearly you don't care, so why comment?

I would argue that having bad cameras is worse than having no cameras at all, as it encourages to use them, but then gives you suspect data. I mean, somehow I manage to back my 997 into my narrow one car garage with no cameras or sensors just fine but got frustrated pulling Panamera / Cayenne loaners into the 2 car garage with a bigger door.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
One thing I didn't mention in regards to this thread. The cameras suck but they certainly aren't "dangerous", unless the danger is curbing your rims. People that fully rely on cameras and automated software on vehicles are the danger. Use your eyes & ears and drive the car, cameras are for making sure you don't curb your wheels or to get just right in a parking spot: they have nothing to do with safety.

The cameras suck on the Taycan but that should never impact your or other people's safety.
Sponsored