Porsche PCM Software Competency

How would you grade Porsche SW Competency

• 5 - SW updates are applied seamlessly with extremely few bugs. The UI is intuitive.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • 4 - SW updates very rarely break existing functionality. Bugs remain and the UI could use some work.

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • 3 - SW updates are infrequent, but critical systems work. The UI is complex but usable.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • 2 - Many bugs exist, some of which affect safety or basic functionality. The UI is non-intuitive.

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • 1 - Bugs affecting safety are so severe the car is unusable. Even a teenager couldn't use the UI.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

snstevens

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
A recent thread on the Polestar 2 Recall has raised the question of how competent Porsche is at software development and I'm very curious what the rest of you think about this question.

I've owned a 2020 4s and a 2021 4s. My personal opinion is that the initial Taycan 2020 PCM was not a car I could recommend to others. It felt like it was too much of a "technology experiment" and although I was up for the experiment, I couldn't in good conscience recommend it to others. The updates to the PCM occurred later than I would have liked, but they did the job. The 12V battery discharge issue was resolved, along with the other problems such as the car abruptly stopping while on the highway. While I never experienced either of these problems first hand, they troubled me and were in the back of my mind.

I picked up my 2021 4s in June and it has been an very solid vehicle. I've purchased Functions On Demand (FOD) and they work as advertised. The User Interface (UI) is still wonky in my opinion, but for some reason the PCM SW is less irritating than a year ago, and seems pretty solid.

IMHO the Porsche SW team has made great progress, but I'm interested in what the rest of you think. Thanks for your input!
Sponsored