Problems with IONITY chargers

jwvbeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan
Country flag
So we’re on holiday with for the first time with our Taycan with our 5 years old and 7 years old kids. We’ve traveled to Austria and Italy. I was surprised the car had more enough space for us for a holiday. And it’s a great car for road tripping. At first I was a bit worried the charging stations would have queues in peak season, but most chargers we’re empty and there more than enough slots available.

But here’s the issue. Most of the times while charging at IONITY charging stations the charger stops working and in the display there’s a charging error message. When I restart the process it starts again and starts to charge, but sometimes it takes 3 or 4 restarts to fully charge the car.

I suspect it has something to do with the socket not properly connected due to the weight of the HPC cable.

Does anybody have similar experiences and solutions?
Sponsored

xy911jk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
So we’re on holiday with for the first time with our Taycan with our 5 years old and 7 years old kids. We’ve traveled to Austria and Italy. I was surprised the car had more enough space for us for a holiday. And it’s a great car for road tripping. At first I was a bit worried the charging stations would have queues in peak season, but most chargers we’re empty and there more than enough slots available.

Not the answer to your question, but… In case you need to travel east-west in Northern Italy (i.e along the A4) you may want to check the EnelX Ultrafast stations, which are less known but as powerful as the Ionity stations, and strategically placed to close the (wide) gaps between them. I have tried one between Milan an Turin and one just east of Milan and they work perfectly. You are probably closer to the one in Peschiera del Garda (on the lake). Anyways, enjoy your trip.

Axdenied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag

But here’s the issue. Most of the times while charging at IONITY charging stations the charger stops working and in the display there’s a charging error message. When I restart the process it starts again and starts to charge, but sometimes it takes 3 or 4 restarts to fully charge the car.

I suspect it has something to do with the socket not properly connected due to the weight of the HPC cable.

Same issues a few weeks ago travelling from Switzerland to Austria. Had to try every ionity charger 3 to 4 times before it starts working. Would love to know what the issue is, unfortunately hard to see any logs or more info than charge error…

OP
OP

jwvbeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan
Country flag
Thanks for the replies.

So we’ve used the IONITY charger at Trento. We're in Riva del Garda right now. I will try the EnelX chargers, curious to see if it is a IONITY problem only. So far I've had no issues with Fastned and EnBW.

@Axdenied did you experience the same issue with chargers other than IONITY?

Axdenied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for the replies.

So we’ve used the IONITY charger at Trento. We're in Riva del Garda right now. I will try the EnelX chargers, curious to see if it is a IONITY problem only. So far I've had no issues with Fastned and EnBW.

@Axdenied did you experience the same issue with chargers other than IONITY?
@jwvbeek no so far only issues with Ionity but did not try other fast chargers (all good with typical type 2 so far).

OP
OP

jwvbeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan
Country flag
@Axdenied Interesting that you've had the same experience with IONITY.

Curious to know whether other drivers had these issues with other HPC's/CCS chargers or it's a IONITY only issue.

kreshi

First Name
hansi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Very strange. To me it sounds like car related issues. In June I travelled across Italy and Switzerland. I only used Ionity. Every single time first try the charger worked and no issues at all. My only issue was with chargers in Switzerland, they did not have plug&charge. I could have been very lucky but so far never had any issues with them in general. Maybe check with your dealer the socket. Another factor is that it’s holiday season right now. Maybe they have been in daily use much more. More usage more Stress on the machine.

Nautilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, X7 50i
Country flag
I have major issues with charging at HPC, since I have the car (January 21).
At first, I had problems to connect with GoFast in Switzerland. It took several attempts before it connects. I wrote GoFast and sent them all the records of my attempts. Their analyse showed that my car was sending wrong signals (400V instead of 800V) and sometimes even changed information within seconds.
No problems at all with Ionity though.
My dealer, after inquiry with Porsche in Germany, changed the pins of the socket.
Now it connects perfectly well with GoFast, but instead of 150 KW or 350 KW I only get 30-50 KW.
And sometimes I have now the problem (with Ionity and other like Allego in Germany), that the charging stops with an error message. The later says that the charging was stopped by the car, not the station.
I mentionned all this to my dealer and have an apointment with him on Wednesday. Let's see...

MrJohnDolk

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
I have the same experience - IONITY charger will work properly for a couple of minutes, and then it shuts Down and the session has to be started again..

Also my plug&charge is not working anymore - it did when i got my 4S this january, and no problems charging at IONITY..

Im not sure, but it seems that my charging problems started when i got the major software Update in april 2021…??
Sponsored