RFID Gate sticker location

GT_Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Hi
My neighborhood uses a gate system that requires a RFID sticker to be put on the car. Something similar to this:
Porsche Taycan RFID Gate sticker location Nd9GcSQFbaFWfqKfhVz_Dy1MifV-Bdtbc2ip2YUaw&usqp=CAU

They want to put the sticker on the headlight but I prefer not to do that (the headlights are my favorite part of the car and I feel like it degrades the look). Does anyone have something similar and if so, where did you end up putting the RFID sticker? I'm thinking maybe putting it on the side marker instead if possible?
Sponsored

ShiftyWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2017 Audi Q5 PP
Country flag
How close does it need to be to read? Maybe put it low on the windshield, below your line of sight and away from the wiper.

Dick G

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
Mine works from the inside of the windshield

Grayblack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23' Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I also have mine on the headlight. Would've been curious to know if it works on the windshield.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
That seems a rather insecure system compared to something more active like Homelink. Anyone could approach your car parked up somewhere and use an app to read the RFID contents and then present them (using the same app) at your gate to open it!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
That seems a rather insecure system compared to something more active like Homelink. Anyone could approach your car parked up somewhere and use an app to read the RFID contents and then present them (using the same app) at your gate to open it!
I am not 100% about RFID, but you can definitely have properly secured NFC which cannot be cloned as you describe. Credit cards which you can "tap", or Apple Pay uses such technology for example.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s, '23 Lucid Air GT
Country flag
Hi
My neighborhood uses a gate system that requires a RFID sticker to be put on the car. Something similar to this:
Nd9GcSQFbaFWfqKfhVz_Dy1MifV-Bdtbc2ip2YUaw&usqp=CAU.jpg

They want to put the sticker on the headlight but I prefer not to do that (the headlights are my favorite part of the car and I feel like it degrades the look). Does anyone have something similar and if so, where did you end up putting the RFID sticker? I'm thinking maybe putting it on the side marker instead if possible?
I had to put the sticker on the headlights, you shouldn't notice them

OP
OP

GT_Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
true, but the community gate is such that someone could just follow you in anyways. So it's not the most secure by default anyways. The RFID system is more of a convenience aspect, not a security aspect.

I had to put the sticker on the headlights, you shouldn't notice them
the particular stickers they use are not 100% clear, they are sort of a clearish hazy opaque...I think most normal folks don't notice them on their headlights but I did for sure on my previous car. Definite 1st world problems though.

As an update:
technician tried to put the sticker on my windshield, just near the wipers. It worked when he put it on temporarily to try (i.e. with the backing still on, just affixed with painters tape) but when he actually took the backing off and applied the sticker it no longer worked. He said a lot of newer cars have materials in the windshield that affect their types of RFID stickers.
We tried a lot of different non-metal spots, including the plastic part just under the windshield, but nothing worked.
So for now I dont have it ... i think i will end up putting it on the side marker, but i didnt today because i am getting clear sidemarkers delivered in a few days.

DougFrisk

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No longer awaiting a 4CT
Country flag
Could it be slipped inside the front bumper cover? Depending on the RFID technology the range may be 1 meter or 100 so any attenuation from the plastic bumper cover may not be enough to affect operation.

OP
OP

GT_Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
Could it be slipped inside the front bumper cover? Depending on the RFID technology the range may be 1 meter or 100 so any attenuation from the plastic bumper cover may not be enough to affect operation.
We tried placing it various places on the bottom front bumper in the plastic parts, but none of the locations worked for our particular gate sticker and reader location

Davy021

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
We just changed our neighborhood gate system as well that went to RFID. The instructions said to put it on the headlights or OUTsite windshield that made no sense. I tested it in a few spots from inside w/tape and placed it inside windshield top left corner. It's great bc I can't see in from inside the car so it's not distracting. I originally had it bottom left but that's all i saw when driving and drove me nuts.

OP
OP

GT_Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan
Country flag
We just changed our neighborhood gate system as well that went to RFID. The instructions said to put it on the headlights or OUTsite windshield that made no sense. I tested it in a few spots from inside w/tape and placed it inside windshield top left corner. It's great bc I can't see in from inside the car so it's not distracting. I originally had it bottom left but that's all i saw when driving and drove me nuts.
Thanks for the info!!
Sponsored