Summer vs All Season

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
Hi......I see I have a choice of tires for the Turbo S
I live in NC so overall never see much snow / ice if at all
What are the advantages of each tire?
Thank you
Sponsored

Bsteffes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 S (s) Cayenne S, Taycan 4s, GT4 clubsport
Country flag
The classic answer...”it depends”. Everyone is different. I drive my Taycan like I drive my 911...weight and size be damned. I removed my all seasons before delivery as it was the only option my car came with at the time and didn’t want to limit the car. I had the dealer install the summer version of the Porsche tire (pirelli)
I had previously driven the dealers turbo launch car and quite frankly..drove the tires off it (all season). They don’t provide anywhere near the grip, feel, or stopping confidence that the summer versions do. The Taycan deserves better ...but certainly understand the need for All seasons (I live in FL). All of my cars have summer tires including my wife’s cayenne. Spoiled to be able to never need anything other due to the non existent seasons in this hot and humid state.

I’ve had the opportunity to hop out of a turbo with all seasons and hop back into my 4s with summer tires and the full sport package...and I can tell you it’s night and day. My car is on another level.

My two cents of course...

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
I went back and forth on all season versus summer tires. Summer tires definitely give you way more performance. That said, the all season tires offer a lot of performance on this car. I went on a test drive and the dealer took a 25 MPH corner at 60 and the tires didn't make so much as a squeal.

I ended up going all season, but I may switch to summer tires at some point. I live in Colorado where even in the summer you can see snow at any time. With summer tires it doesn't take more than a few flakes of snow to put you in a ditch so you have to really watch the weather if you go with summer tires. If I lived in warmer weather I would definitely get summer tires.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
All Season tires are a joke and if you're spending this much money on a car you can afford the $400 max a year it'll cost to rotate Winter & Summer tires. Period.

All Season tires WILL give you squeal and understeer on a car this heavy when pushed, you want ultra high performance Summer tires like the Pilot Sport 4. Modern winter tires function quite decently in moderate weather, into the 50s, so there's really no point where all season tires give a benefit.

If you're just getting the Taycan so you can tell people you have a Porsche, get All Seasons because whatever. If you're getting the Taycan to drive like a Porsche, Summers are simply the correct call.

Kevin2dx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 McLaren 720S
Country flag
All Season tires are a joke and if you're spending this much money on a car you can afford the $400 max a year it'll cost to rotate Winter & Summer tires. Period.

All Season tires WILL give you squeal and understeer on a car this heavy when pushed, you want ultra high performance Summer tires like the Pilot Sport 4. Modern winter tires function quite decently in moderate weather, into the 50s, so there's really no point where all season tires give a benefit.

If you're just getting the Taycan so you can tell people you have a Porsche, get All Seasons because whatever. If you're getting the Taycan to drive like a Porsche, Summers are simply the correct call.
That being said, I’ve been waiting for Pilot Sport 4’s to come out for the mission-E wheels. I’m a buyer ASAP :)

Bsteffes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

That being said, I’ve been waiting for Pilot Sport 4’s to come out for the mission-E wheels. I’m a buyer ASAP :)
I am as well. But for now...the Pirellis for this car are fantastic! Amazing performance. The are the NF0 summer tire for the 21’s

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I am as well. But for now...the Pirellis for this car are fantastic! Amazing performance. The are the NF0 summer tire for the 21’s
We have Pilot Sort 4S tires on our Macan Turbo (in the summer), Cayman SBE, and the Pirelli Summer tires on our Taycan Turbo S (factory). Am surprised the Pirelli summer tires are much quieter and they handle well.

Bsteffes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You’re tempting me.... :CWL:
Well. It’s not all rainbows. I have a set of brand new all season tires that the car rolled off the ship on and no one wants them. Even at half off.
I guess I need to be patient for the early guys to burn through their first set.

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
The thing I could never get an answer to is if it's NOT snowing and just cold, what tire has better performance, snow or all-seasons? Especially these days of working from home, it's going to be easy to avoid driving when there's snow. I remember one Youtube test where even summer tires performed better than snow tires on dry pavement below freezing, with the caveat that the summer tires were warmed up already. From that I suspect all-seasons are better than snows except in snow/ice, and the reason why all the comparison tests are done on snow/ice is to sell more/more expensive tires.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
The thing I could never get an answer to is if it's NOT snowing and just cold, what tire has better performance, snow or all-seasons? Especially these days of working from home, it's going to be easy to avoid driving when there's snow. I remember one Youtube test where even summer tires performed better than snow tires on dry pavement below freezing, with the caveat that the summer tires were warmed up already. From that I suspect all-seasons are better than snows except in snow/ice, and the reason why all the comparison tests are done on snow/ice is to sell more/more expensive tires.
Interesting data. Some summer tires cannot be stored or driven at or below freezing. When we drive our cars with summer tires near or below freezing, we never stop until we get back home.
Sponsored