louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Harley is coming out with an electric bike, they could have a charger there, but probably not..
I’m sure they have a charger there... but it’s probably less than 50kW... and I’m not sure they’d look kindly on a Porsche rolling up and using their free charger. (Assuming it is free)
Sponsored

dryii

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
Country flag
... I’m not sure they’d look kindly on a Porsche rolling up and using their free charger. (Assuming it is free)
I own a Harley. It's probable the folks there would have many questions about your vehicle and enjoy chatting with you about it.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I own a Harley. It's probable the folks there would have many questions about your vehicle and enjoy chatting with you about it.
They’d probably know by looking at me that I ride a BMW. :cool: Some dealerships get cranky when other brands try to use their chargers. I know one dealership that purposely blocks all their chargers so you need to ask them to move a vehicle to use their station. They are usually slow stations anyway.

Meh.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hello Gulfport, MS. I’ve crossed the mighty Mississippi river, and traveled 611 miles in 11 hours to be here. Perchance to sleep. (But not in my car)

Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal EB22A22A-1A04-499E-9BFA-AFAE4C1F01D0
Porsche Taycan Taking One Lap of the Country in my Taycan Turbo - 10k miles in 6 weeks Cross-Country Journal 1323F179-068F-42A0-8A00-1EEEF7B54A27

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks. makes sense. In a recent article, it is claimed that the Porsche network chargers will be displayed in the navigation "All of those sites will be displayed in Porsche's navigation systems:" and has a picture showing that.

1583547975769.png

Is that what you currently have or is that pic of a new capability?

source: https://insideevs.com/news/402608/porsche-destination-charging-rollout/
That’s what I have... usually. Except some days, like yesterday when that search page was unavailable all day. “Normally” it’s just unavailable for 5, 10, or 60 minutes.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag
Hello Gulfport, MS. I’ve crossed the mighty Mississippi river, and traveled 611 miles in 11 hours to be here. Perchance to sleep. (But not in my car)

EB22A22A-1A04-499E-9BFA-AFAE4C1F01D0.jpeg
1323F179-068F-42A0-8A00-1EEEF7B54A27.jpeg
Speaking of sleeping in the car, how was it? You look to be about 6' did you fit and would you do it again, plan on getting a twin styrofoam/gel mattress to try, I am 6'2" might be tight.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
Harley is coming out with an electric bike, they could have a charger there, but probably not..
The bike was initially introduced last year in the US but they had some problems so is being reintroduced this year. So most of the US dealers already have charging capability but not sure how many Kw.........

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Speaking of sleeping in the car, how was it? You look to be about 6' did you fit and would you do it again, plan on getting a twin styrofoam/gel mattress to try, I am 6'2" might be tight.
Yes, I’m 6’ and thin. At 6’2” it’ll be tight. There isn’t a lot of room. You can get a little extra by sleeping diagonally. Turning on my side, my hip grazes the top of the opening behind the rear seats. Otherwise it was fine. I don’t think I’ll have another night where it’ll be convenient. Maybe.

It’s kind of an impulsive thing. I have to be in the mood for it as well. Good, quiet locations can be tricky to find. Boondocking and VanDwelling type camping apps can be helpful in finding sites.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Yes. I’m sure they are aware. I’ve spent 30 years working on Software & Hardware teams.

But, that doesn’t mean I’ll sit back and accept Beta level software (read: basically functional, but not yet ready for a paying customer).

I will push on the only levers I have available to me (being outside the development team): Direct reports via Service Advisors, and then later, public posting of said bugs.

I want the product to be better. This is how I help.
I totally agree for such a price point the software should be better!

But my thinking is the other way around: I rather have a great driving EV with luxury interior now and can replace my god awful one ASAP rather then waiting another 2 years for them to fix more software bugs:

We all know, that software has bugs, even our software buddy Elon cannot prevent shipping OTAs with empty message boxes...

I am looking forward to your complete list. Will be very interesting! :clap:

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I totally agree for such a price point the software should be better!

But my thinking is the other way around: I rather have a great driving EV with luxury interior now and can replace my god awful one ASAP rather then waiting another 2 years for them to fix a few more software bug:

We all know, that software has bugs, even our software buddy Elon cannot prevent shipping OTAs with empty message boxes...
agree on all points.

I still love the car, beta software and all.

And I want it to be even better. Sooner, rather than later, for all of the Soon-To-Be-Owners.

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
agree on all points.

I still love the car, beta software and all.

And I want it to be even better. Sooner, rather than later, for all of the Soon-To-Be-Owners.
Thanks for the wonderful report on your great adventure! What's been your favorite stretch of road so far on your journey?

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I'll just be running Waze all the time anyway... the stock Nav isn't going to tell me where the cops are hiding.

The trip computer sounds like it's the same as my other Porsches have been (a 2013 and 2017) for how it tracks average speed, time, etc. So I doubt they are going to change how it calculates things, as it's functioning as intended.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks for the wonderful report on your great adventure! What's been your favorite stretch of road so far on your journey?
Favorite road? Probably the side roads in Banff. And the twisty roads in the Santa Cruz Mountains where I grew up and learned to drive. All of Canada was amazingly beautiful with a winter layer of frosting.

I’m sure there were many wonderful backroads that I missed as I flew through on the interstate. But that’s ok. I can come back, and travel more slowly, once the network of charging stations is denser and all the corners are filled in.

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'll just be running Waze all the time anyway... the stock Nav isn't going to tell me where the cops are hiding.

The trip computer sounds like it's the same as my other Porsches have been (a 2013 and 2017) for how it tracks average speed, time, etc. So I doubt they are going to change how it calculates things, as it's functioning as intended.
Probably true, it might be “functioning as intended”. But it’s in an electric car now... and things need to change. Now a traveler sits in a car, “ignotion” on, while waiting for a charge. So the difference in behaviors dictates a change in thoughts and functions. It’s a new world, and hopefully Porsche understands that.
Sponsored