Rizvi

First Name
Zishan Syed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M3, Toyota Rav 4, BMW 328xi Touring, Porsche passport, Smart ForTwo Electric Drive
Country flag
Sometimes charging stations are hard to find in large parking lots. Or behind buildings in small ones. As I entered the parking lot to find this charging station, a car jumped around me to my left and dashed around the building.

It was a nissan leaf. He too was headed to the charging stations and basically jumped the queue.

He pulled up at one station. Fortunately there were two stations. Except mine didn’t work. And, as I spent 15 minutes with Tech Support getting it rebooted, she told me this one was known to have problems. It had already been reported.

So I had to wait for Leaf guy to finish. That charging station worked fine. For him, and now for me.

While I had Tech support online, I asked her to look at the information from last night’s blackout station. She said there was no record of a session. But her view is limited. She did say both stations were still unavailable. I told her my suspicion. She thanked me for the information.

From here, I head over for a social visit to Vancouver Porsche. (Though I’m sure some blogger will report me as “stranded” or some other click-baity headline)

F43BD424-C993-48D4-B431-B2E9CDC5BC77.jpeg
Yeah I saw something in my newsfeed from one of those pro Tesla EV sites that said you were stuck or stranded in Canads. Morons!

Last edited by a moderator:

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Don @louv
I was wondering if you ever got a photo of the label on the Petrol Canada charger that I asked about a few days back in your journey.
Regarding the message from @lawrence R is what reminded me.

Great documentation of a very exciting trip. Thanks

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Sorry @DeciusCaeciliusMetellus and @louv I had not gotten to the end of the thread before asking.

So the chargers are capable of 1000 VDC as I expected like the ones used by Electrify America and Electrify Canada. Strange that you don't see more like 200kW when battery was conditioned upon arrival and SOC<10%.

DukeofCool72

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Sorry @DeciusCaeciliusMetellus and @louv I had not gotten to the end of the thread before asking.

So the chargers are capable of 1000 VDC as I expected like the ones used by Electrify America and Electrify Canada. Strange that you don't see more like 200kW when battery was conditioned upon arrival and SOC<10%.
max 280kW (350Ax800V)— this is what I read out of the specs see PDF attached

Attachments

lawrence R

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
porsche
Country flag
Here’s the label from the side of a “350kW” Petro-Canada station.

695F6155-A740-4AC0-BC07-261E0ECB0B76.jpeg
I would certainly like to know for sure... From Porsche communications I understand that the car is only able to charge at 270kW at an 800V Electrify America/Canada charging station. I understand that most commercial charging stations are 400V, and at these stations you can charge a Taycan up to 150kW with the optional on-board DC charger. I assume that the Petro Canada stations are charging with 400V but don't know that for sure, and haven't been able to verify it. I believe the Tesla stations charge at 400V.

DukeofCool72

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I would certainly like to know for sure... From Porsche communications I understand that the car is only able to charge at 270kW at an 800V Electrify America/Canada charging station. I understand that most commercial charging stations are 400V, and at these stations you can charge a Taycan up to 150kW with the optional on-board DC charger. I assume that the Petro Canada stations are charging with 400V but don't know that for sure, and haven't been able to verify it. I believe the Tesla stations charge at 400V.
should work with 800V and 270kW but only if both 200kW feeds to the pole work and the Taycan is the only car charging. If two cars charging the power is split up

Reactions: Vik

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Well you didn’t have a chance against the Leaf in speed and pick up, don’t feel bad....

:cool:

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
Those are some seriously snowy roads. Is the car handling ok on the pirellis?
The Pirelli snow tires are fantastic. No issues in the snow... assuming you don’t try anything too stupid. The laws of Physics still apply.

Last edited:

tedkidd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Bolt
Country flag
Such good information, thanks for that, I was assuming you could use all tesla chargers except the super chargers. Getting one of these. Cars looks great!
Go to the Tesla map and de-select everything but "destination chargers."

How fast/max is the car's onboard charger?

tedkidd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Bolt
Country flag
I can believe that. It’s Sad. And kinda makes me Angry that it’s been a known issue and hasn’t been addressed. It a major problem on a trip like this. Oh well.
I'm on EV 3 & 4. Early days still, lots of early adopter penalties yet to pay...

But I bet by now it's clear you never want to go back!

OP
OP
louv

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
should work with 800V and 270kW but only if both 200kW feeds to the pole work and the Taycan is the only car charging. If two cars charging the power is split up
I’ve never been charging when any other car is also charging (except for the Leaf today, but we didn’t charge at the same time)

still curious.
Sponsored