andre-s

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
**** VERY DETAILED PROJECT ON STEP BY STEP DETAILING MY CAR, PARDON ALL THE DETAILS, BUT I THOUGH IT COULD BE HELPFUL TO ANYONE TRYING THE SAME ****

Last week I had the opportunity to work on my new Porsche Taycan 4S with my brother, who follows and reads a lot about detailing and actually have detailed his own cars a few times. The car didn't have a lot of swirls at all but had a decent amount of RIDS that required some work to be removed. The paint is pretty hard, at first we tried Essence on Rupes yellow pads, that did nothing. Went with LC orange pad and Griot's Correcting Cream, no change. Switched to Fast Correcting Cream and started seeing some results but took too many passes. Ended up using Meguiar's MF cutting discs with Jescar Correcting Compound and that took care of the RIDS with a few passes. That was finishing without haze but we still went over it all again with Essence and Rupes yellow pads to achieve better finish and prime for CQuartz.

The car has a full front coverage of PPF from factory. On that we only used Essence and a CarPro gloss pad to make sure it was all clean and ready to be coated. This combo also boosts the clarity of the film. Did only about 2 passes on this as working Essence any longer on the PPF was making it cure too fast and become sticky which required re-application and immediate wipe off.

Here are the products we used:
  • McKee's 37 Tire and Rubber Rejuvenator
  • McKee's 37 Coating Prep Wash
  • CarPro Iron-X
  • Nanoskin AutoScrub
  • CarPro Eraser
  • Griot's Garage G8 and G15 polishers
  • McKee's 37 Glass Restorer (polished windshield before coating)
  • CarPro Essence
  • Rupes Yellow foam pads
  • Griot's Correcting Cream and Fast Correcting Cream (used just on test spot)
  • Lake Country orange foam pads (used just on test spot)
  • Meguiar's microfiber cutting discs
  • Jescar Correcting Compound
  • CarPro Gloss Pads
  • AutoFiber Thin [Saver Applicator Terry] Microfiber Coating Applicator
  • Various CarPro coatings (2 layers of UK 3.0 topped with 1 layer of SiC, Dlux on all textured plastics and wheels, FlyBy Forte on windshield)
  • McKee's 37 20/20 Cockpit glass cleaner (to clean inside of glass due to new car offgassing)
  • McKee's 37 Leather Guard UV50 to protect the leather seats
This was our first time using SiC to top UK 3.0. It's not hard to apply but it's finicky. It takes longer to flash but if you wait too much it becomes difficult to wipe off. Took a few panels to find the sweet spot.

This was also our first time using FlyBy Forte, it's the 2021 version. It's a PITA to apply. Using a tiny cotton pad and applying it in circles is tedious and hard on the hand. The part of the instructions that says it just disappears is also not that simple, it takes a lot of rubbing in circular motion for it to come close to disappearing and I'm still not sure I got it 100% removed. Not sure I'll use this again. Previously I used McKee's 37 Glass coating for the windshield and although that is not completely pain free to install (it feels sticky if you have any humidity in the air), it's way easier than FlyBy Forte v4.

Another first for us was the AutoFiber Thin [Saver Applicator Terry] Microfiber Coating Applicator. This was great, so much more ergonomic than the blocks the coatings come with and also seemed to help use less product as not much gets absorbed into the sponge.

We were very happy with the results and the car looks really good. Since I don't daily drive it, this should last a while on the car.

Here are some pictures of the car.

Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S detailing and coat DSC_0981.JPG
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S detailing and coat 20210624_201521
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S detailing and coat 20210624_201122
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S detailing and coat DSC_0998 (1)
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S detailing and coat DSC_0964_2
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S detailing and coat DSC_0955_2 (1)

Last edited:

marc

First Name
marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 4s
Country flag
**** VERY DETAILED PROJECT ON STEP BY STEP DETAILING MY CAR, PARDON ALL THE DETAILS, BUT I THOUGH IT COULD BE HELPFUL TO ANYONE TRYING THE SAME ****

Last week I had the opportunity to work on my new Porsche Taycan 4S with my brother, who follows and reads a lot about detailing and actually have detailed his own cars a few times. The car didn't have a lot of swirls at all but had a decent amount of RIDS that required some work to be removed. The paint is pretty hard, at first we tried Essence on Rupes yellow pads, that did nothing. Went with LC orange pad and Griot's Correcting Cream, no change. Switched to Fast Correcting Cream and started seeing some results but took too many passes. Ended up using Meguiar's MF cutting discs with Jescar Correcting Compound and that took care of the RIDS with a few passes. That was finishing without haze but we still went over it all again with Essence and Rupes yellow pads to achieve better finish and prime for CQuartz.

The car has a full front coverage of PPF from factory. On that we only used Essence and a CarPro gloss pad to make sure it was all clean and ready to be coated. This combo also boosts the clarity of the film. Did only about 2 passes on this as working Essence any longer on the PPF was making it cure too fast and become sticky which required re-application and immediate wipe off.

Here are the products we used:
  • McKee's 37 Tire and Rubber Rejuvenator
  • McKee's 37 Coating Prep Wash
  • CarPro Iron-X
  • Nanoskin AutoScrub
  • CarPro Eraser
  • Griot's Garage G8 and G15 polishers
  • McKee's 37 Glass Restorer (polished windshield before coating)
  • CarPro Essence
  • Rupes Yellow foam pads
  • Griot's Correcting Cream and Fast Correcting Cream (used just on test spot)
  • Lake Country orange foam pads (used just on test spot)
  • Meguiar's microfiber cutting discs
  • Jescar Correcting Compound
  • CarPro Gloss Pads
  • AutoFiber Thin [Saver Applicator Terry] Microfiber Coating Applicator
  • Various CarPro coatings (2 layers of UK 3.0 topped with 1 layer of SiC, Dlux on all textured plastics and wheels, FlyBy Forte on windshield)
  • McKee's 37 20/20 Cockpit glass cleaner (to clean inside of glass due to new car offgassing)
  • McKee's 37 Leather Guard UV50 to protect the leather seats
This was our first time using SiC to top UK 3.0. It's not hard to apply but it's finicky. It takes longer to flash but if you wait too much it becomes difficult to wipe off. Took a few panels to find the sweet spot.

This was also our first time using FlyBy Forte, it's the 2021 version. It's a PITA to apply. Using a tiny cotton pad and applying it in circles is tedious and hard on the hand. The part of the instructions that says it just disappears is also not that simple, it takes a lot of rubbing in circular motion for it to come close to disappearing and I'm still not sure I got it 100% removed. Not sure I'll use this again. Previously I used McKee's 37 Glass coating for the windshield and although that is not completely pain free to install (it feels sticky if you have any humidity in the air), it's way easier than FlyBy Forte v4.

Another first for us was the AutoFiber Thin [Saver Applicator Terry] Microfiber Coating Applicator. This was great, so much more ergonomic than the blocks the coatings come with and also seemed to help use less product as not much gets absorbed into the sponge.

We were very happy with the results and the car looks really good. Since I don't daily drive it, this should last a while on the car.

Here are some pictures of the car.

DSC_0981.JPG
20210624_201521.jpg
20210624_201122.jpg
DSC_0998 (1).jpg
DSC_0964_2.jpg
DSC_0955_2 (1).jpg
that seems a bit excessive, but yes, your car looks beautiful.

OP
OP
andre-s

andre-s

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
that seems a bit excessive, but yes, your car looks beautiful.
My brother follows a few detailing forums and track all. He used the car to do what he believes is all the best across all areas, so we over did, but definitely it looks great! Plus the experience of doing all while admiring the car was well worth it =)

And sorry for the long detailed post. I basically copy and paste his forum post, so in case anyone wants to know what we have used.

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Looks really shiny, and I can appreciate the effort something like this takes. I'm all gung ho when it comes to getting a good shine out of the vehicle.

Question: Seeing that you used several products on your car, have you ever used Cerakote Trim Coat for the plastic trim in the past? This is a sample given to me when I got the Taycan wrapped in XPEL/ceramic coat last weekend.

I noticed this stuff has good reviews on Amazon.
Porsche Taycan Taycan 4S detailing and coat Cerakote Trim Coat

OP
OP
andre-s

andre-s

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
Looks really shiny, and I can appreciate the effort something like this takes. I'm all gung ho when it comes to getting a good shine out of the vehicle.

Question: Seeing that you used several products on your car, have you ever used Cerakote Trim Coat for the plastic trim in the past? This is a sample given to me when I got the Taycan wrapped in XPEL/ceramic coat last weekend.

I noticed this stuff has good reviews on Amazon.
Cerakote Trim Coat.jpg
I don't know much, but I've asked my brother, who said

"Cerakote Trim Coat works well but the finish it leaves behind is a little too shiny for my liking. I prefer CarPro Dlux or Gyeon Trim as a coating for trim that is in good shape. If faded, which obviously isn’t the case in a new car, I’d use Solution Finish to restore the black color, then seal instead of using a coating."

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Car looks great.

Did you measure how thick the paint was?