Taycan EV's adaptive regeneration: does it work?

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Article from Car Magazine UK
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/tech/porsche-taycan-regeneration-how-does-it-work/
No revaluation of new information but reasonably concise.

Bottom line from the author, Adam Binnie:
Does it work?
Yes. It works very well indeed, dialling in the level of recuperation you need, so there's no need to adjust it using the shifter paddles like on most EVs, and no riding the accelerator or pogoing on and off the gas in traffic to compensate for over-zealous regenerative brakes. It's intuitive and makes for a relaxing, wafty drive. Until you stand on the gas and give everyone neck-ache, of course.
Sponsored

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Well, this feature I am very interested to see, because it could be the better solution to one-pedal driving.

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Well, this feature I am very interested to see, because it could be the better solution to one-pedal driving.
One of the things I will test first when I get my Taycan in about 2 months.

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag
Article from Car Magazine UK
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/tech/porsche-taycan-regeneration-how-does-it-work/
No revaluation of new information but reasonably concise.

Bottom line from the author, Adam Binnie:
Does it work?
Yes. It works very well indeed, dialling in the level of recuperation you need, so there's no need to adjust it using the shifter paddles like on most EVs, and no riding the accelerator or pogoing on and off the gas in traffic to compensate for over-zealous regenerative brakes. It's intuitive and makes for a relaxing, wafty drive. Until you stand on the gas and give everyone neck-ache, of course.
From my experience in 3 test drives (still awaiting my build/delivery), it’s a light regenerative mode, not the sharp anchor drawing down your speed like the one-pedal driving. If you don’t like the coasting, or you’re in a lot of traffic, it’s a decent option to help decelerate but think of a standard ICE car Engine breaking...like that but probably even lighter touch than what you have.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I agree that @Dlurker20 the settings behave like:
  • off setting is coasting
  • on is light regen like a car with automatic transmission in drive mode
  • auto is like coasting unless a car is in front of you then I believe it will apply as much regen as needed to avoid collision up to the 265kW but that would be a test I don't care to make. :oops:

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I agree that @Dlurker20 the settings behave like:
  • off setting is coasting
  • on is light regen like a car with automatic transmission in drive mode
  • auto is like coasting unless a car is in front of you then I believe it will apply as much regen as needed to avoid collision up to the 265kW but that would be a test I don't care to make. :oops:
Your summary is quite good Ron, but I think of the regen setting is a bit more like a stick gear car when driving and lifting off. Automatic cars ( I have had one but never used it in Auto mode) seem to go as high in the gears as possible if you are driving smoothly. When you lift off there is next to no engine brake? I. am thinking of speeds around 40 mph. In a stick car you might only drive in 4th here out of 6 gears!

I Would at times like to have a bit stronger regen, but nowhere like a one pedal driving. just to make it easier control the speed going down hill. I have about 550 meter height difference on a stretch of about 15 km with some plateaus. With speed limits and speed cameras at the bottom of each decent of course. In a stick gear car you can just go down a cog or two and you are fine. The car behind will not see any brake lights of course but the exhaust symphony probably gives away what I am doing anyway.

And reaching the coast line the Taycan has consumed about 2 kWh /100 km. In a Tesla with hard regen set, you may have 2% more charge than when you started without out any need for aircon etc.

Going uphill with auto regen switched on is another interesting experience. In a stick. Car you might be in 3rd gear and when you lift off it slows down. In the Taycan with its massive and instant torque, perhaps also in first gear, when you lift off it feels like the car continues to accelerate Up hill!

Going down hill with other cars in front in auto mode is great. Not too much and not to little regen. I have no idea on how much it actually Works very well.

It all is just takes some time to get used to and experiment with the settings. If Porsche would introduce a further step up in regen, but not like one pedal driving, I will raise my hand to test it!

Gogs

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 911 4S, Range Rover Sport Hybrid, Range Rover Vouge
Country flag
I Would at times like to have a bit stronger regen, but nowhere like a one pedal driving. just to make it easier control the speed going down hill. I have about 550 meter height difference on a stretch of about 15 km with some plateaus. With speed limits and speed cameras at the bottom of each decent of course. In a stick gear car you can just go down a cog or two and you are fine. The car behind will not see any brake lights of course but the exhaust symphony probably gives away what I am doing anyway.
I think you get this with applying the brake which will in most cases just activate the regen. I kind of like that because if your in a sporty driving mode you might not necessary want to slow down for the next bend when descending and the coasting down the hill with a final touch on the brake before entering the corner you would assume make best use of the power usage.
Sponsored