TSB: Whirring, Vibration Noise in the Area of the Front End: Check Air-ConditioningCompressor Mounts are Secure - July 20, 2023

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Symptom: Customers complain of a vibrating or buzzing noise in the front end area while the air conditioning is
switched on.
Cause: The noises can be caused either by out-of-tolerance mounts on the air conditioning compressor, or
by out-of-tolerance mounting holes on the front axle carrier auxiliary frame for the air conditioning
compressor.
This can lead to increased play or the mounts for the air-conditioning compressor not being secure, which
is noticeable by buzzing and/or vibration in the area of the front end.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10240406-0001.pdf
Sponsored

Vzx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tacan 4S, 2023 EQS SUV 580
Country flag
Thank you for this notification. I am not sure if I am experiencing the same noise, but I have been hearing this clicking/buzzing noise from my front end/dashboard since delivery. Dealership is not able to reproduce because the sound is random. Usually happens when I’m driving over some uneven surfaces.

I have attached a video with this post. Did you experience a similar sound?

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I wonder if this is the cause of my buzzing/rattling issue. I didn't think it was related to the AC because I'm pretty sure it happens even if I turn the AC off, but maybe its not the fan itself that's causing the noise but rather the mounts like this TSB says.

Coincidentally I'm actually picking up my car from the dealership tomorrow. One of the things I asked them to try and fix was this buzzing from the center console. They claimed they couldn't hear it.

Vzx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tacan 4S, 2023 EQS SUV 580
Country flag
It is very annoying to hear this in an otherwise quiet car. And you are right - the sound happens even if the AC is off. Let me know if your service advisor looks for this on your car. I have forwarded the TSB to my advisor last night.

poppap

First Name
Pop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Taycan RWD (PNYVW213)
Country flag
I've had the A/C compressor replaced in the previous visit and the noise remained. Currently waiting for the compressor mounting bracket parts to arrive from Germany and be replaced per this TSB. Will report back if it finally resolves the issue once replaced.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I've had the A/C compressor replaced in the previous visit and the noise remained. Currently waiting for the compressor mounting bracket parts to arrive from Germany and be replaced per this TSB. Will report back if it finally resolves the issue once replaced.

I have the same sound on my 2022 RWD. The dealer replaced the expansion valve in December 2022. All was quiet when I resumed using the A/C in March 2023, but the noise returned one month later. And now the sound is louder and lasts longer than before. Fortunately the A/C still works very well.

I forwarded OP's post to my Porsche dealer and asked them to review it and schedule a repair. Good luck with your repair as well.

poppap

First Name
Pop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have the same sound on my 2022 RWD. The dealer replaced the expansion valve in December 2022. All was quiet when I resumed using the A/C in March 2023, but the noise returned one month later. And now the sound is louder and lasts longer than before. Fortunately the A/C still works very well.

I forwarded OP's post to my Porsche dealer and asked them to review it and schedule a repair. Good luck with your repair as well.
The compressor mounting bracket replacement is scheduled for early October. Will report back if the noise goes away or not. Good luck getting your issue resolved as well.

poppap

First Name
Pop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The compressor mounting bracket replacement is scheduled for early October. Will report back if the noise goes away or not. Good luck getting your issue resolved as well.
Dropped the car off for the mounting bracket replacement today... Let's see...🤞

poppap

First Name
Pop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Picked the car up from service. These are what have been done:

Porsche Taycan TSB: Whirring, Vibration Noise in the Area of the Front End: Check Air-ConditioningCompressor Mounts are Secure - July 20, 2023 IMG_1855

Porsche Taycan TSB: Whirring, Vibration Noise in the Area of the Front End: Check Air-ConditioningCompressor Mounts are Secure - July 20, 2023 IMG_1856

No more whirring noise so far - will monitor it for a few days.

Last edited:

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Picked the car up from service.

Just picked up mine today. Here's what was done:
Porsche Taycan TSB: Whirring, Vibration Noise in the Area of the Front End: Check Air-ConditioningCompressor Mounts are Secure - July 20, 2023 1697515055344

Drove 45 miles home with the A/C on in 100 °F (38 °C) weather without any growling :whew:

OP
OP

Tooney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@poppap & @TXAG Thanks for sharing repair details. Lots of non-AC stuff has to be removed and reinstalled to access the AC compressor mounts.

poppap

First Name
Pop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Picked the car up from service. These are what have been done:

IMG_1855.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

Two weeks report: the noise does not reoccur. I considered the case closed.