Using Taycan PMCC to charge other EVs

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a 2016 Cayenne plug in hybrid. I have a dedicated 30A plug for this car and with the included Cayenne charger I can fully charge the small battery in about 2 hours, rough estimate around 7kw charging speed. Unfortunately with this 1st gen charger there isn't a lot more information available.

I have another 50A outlet which I use for the Taycan, using the new PMCC I can see it pulling the max 40A out of the circuit (well, usually 39 point something). Just for fun I plugged the new PMCC to my Cayenne and expectedly that dropped the amp down, but it went all the way down to 15amp! Resulted in a much slower charging. Only managed the get to 100% on the 14kwh battery after about 4 hours.

Isn't this a little odd? Why would the charging be slower with Taycan's PMCC than my old Cayenne charger plugged into a lower amp circuit?
Sponsored

Izzone

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
the charger is in the car....that regulates how quick it can take power

Gunther

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Cayenne Coupe e-hybrid
Country flag
the charger is in the car....that regulates how quick it can take power
I have done the same with my Taycan Turbo S and 2020 Cayenne e-hybrid. I did NOT opt for the optional 7.2 for the Cayenne so it came with the 3.6 setup. The Taycan charger will not deliver more than 15A to the Cayenne, but it does so without any problems.

My own question for the forum is as follows: Why does my (lowly/lightweight) Porsche 3.6kW portable charger (regardless of whether it is set at 50 or 100%) not work with the Taycan (which has the optional 19.2 on board). It plugs in.....and things seem to get off to a good start, but then it stops working after 10 or so seconds. I have not been provided with any meaningful error messages by the car or the charging unit other than the latter's lights on the front panel shift from green to yellow. I am waiting for the optional 19.2 home unit to become available in Canada........in the meantime, it would be helpful for me to have the option of feeding the Taycan with a low power charge. Also, I had wanted to stick the cheap unit into the frunk in the event that I get stuck somewhere and only have access to a basic wall receptacle.......at least I could charge up the car a little even if it would be painfully slow.

OP
OP
Jayyvr890

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have done the same with my Taycan Turbo S and 2020 Cayenne e-hybrid. I did NOT opt for the optional 7.2 for the Cayenne so it came with the 3.6 setup. The Taycan charger will not deliver more than 15A to the Cayenne, but it does so without any problems.
Interesting... I'm not sure why I can get 7kw with my cayenne charger but only ~3kw with the PMCC that came with the Taycan. Will play around with the settings on PMCC and see if it'll make a difference.
Sponsored