When is overboost available?

OPLA1925

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TCT4
Country flag
Is it just when launching?

weighing up 4 versus 4s cross tourismo. Wondered how much of the time the base model can actually access the. ‘Bonus’ HP. I can’t see myself using launch control…
Sponsored

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag

weighing up 4 versus 4s cross tourismo. Wondered how much of the time the base model can actually access the. ‘Bonus’ HP. I can’t see myself using launch control…
I have the same question - one youtube review claimed that overboost remains available for the whole drive if one used launch control (which seems somewhat implausible, but who knows).

Reg. launch control - compared to launching a 911 with the engine bouncing off the limiter, launch control on a RWD Taycan is a much more mild-mannered affair, and I have used it more often in the first 5 days of ownership than on my prior 911 in 5 years.

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag

Overboost HP is only available when the launch control mode is engaged. According to the article below, peak "standard" HP lasts for 10 seconds and overboost HP for 2.5 seconds with the performance battery. Power reverts to the "normal" level after that.

2020 Porsche Taycan 4S Excels in Winter Weather (caranddriver.com)
Sponsored

Last edited: