RGBArgee

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4SCrossT.992 Turbo S.Audi S3 8Y, MG Midget
Country flag
Yep, so don't bother with the courtesy car unless you need one. But in Frank's case (whose comment i meant to reply to really) his car is basically off the road for at least a month. So if you go the Porsche assistance route (as recommended by my dealers call centre when my heater failed), they've a contractual obligation to deal with the car almost immediately.

It's probably one reason why there is a such a big back log at the service centres, but if that's the way to get the expected level of service, then you have to play the game. It will probably (parts allowing) get Frank's car back on the road before Aug 1st. Or at least set the ball rolling 1 month earlier than otherwise in ordering the parts.

In my failed heater example - I was offered an appointment in 6 weeks time, just to diagnose it, with no courtesy car. Via Porsche Assistance I had the car fixed and turned around in 1 week from it going in.

So Frank, imho, call Assistance and get them to book it in. You don't even need to get it recovered on a truck if its convenient for you to drive it to the dealer (as i did with mine). All you need is PA to book the car in. Nuts but it is what it is.
Yes I get that! Sadly both my 992 Targa and no 1 Taycan have suffered issues. Despite being the same company I have found Audi reliability and service far better.
Sponsored

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Yep, so don't bother with the courtesy car unless you need one. But in Frank's case (whose comment i meant to reply to really) his car is basically off the road for at least a month. So if you go the Porsche assistance route (as recommended by my dealers call centre when my heater failed), they've a contractual obligation to deal with the car almost immediately.

It's probably one reason why there is a such a big back log at the service centres, but if that's the way to get the expected level of service, then you have to play the game. It will probably (parts allowing) get Frank's car back on the road before Aug 1st. Or at least set the ball rolling 1 month earlier than otherwise in ordering the parts.

In my failed heater example - I was offered an appointment in 6 weeks time, just to diagnose it, with no courtesy car. Via Porsche Assistance I had the car fixed and turned around in 1 week from it going in.

So Frank, imho, call Assistance and get them to book it in. You don't even need to get it recovered on a truck if its convenient for you to drive it to the dealer (as i did with mine). All you need is PA to book the car in. Nuts but it is what it is.
Thanks, I didn’t realise any of this!
I’ll probably leave it, having a bit of a downer on the Taycan at the moment and just took a trip which reminds me why I got a plug-in Prius rather than a plug-in Panamera 5 years ago!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wow, Porsche brand sure has changed in the last 20 years. I remember my first Porsche (custom build 911C4), great quality, service was always awesome, loaners to choose from, even in times when allocations had long waitlists (though unlike today, they did trade allocations between dealers back then to get you what you want). Dealers were proud to offer premium service for premium cars (you paid for it of course, but AFAIK dealers today charge just as much premium).
I have never felt an alliance to any brand.
Whilst generally I suppose a company does have an “ethos” it is the people that make it work and change of personnel often changes it.

The one company who changed ethos massively during my car buying time have been Mercedes. The modern ones are nothing like the first ones I had.

The Porsche guys I knew like Hans Mezger are gone. The 911 isn’t the sort of car it used to be at all.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I have never felt an alliance to any brand.
Whilst generally I suppose a company does have an “ethos” it is the people that make it work and change of personnel often changes it.

The one company who changed ethos massively during my car buying time have been Mercedes. The modern ones are nothing like the first ones I had.

The Porsche guys I knew like Hans Mezger are gone. The 911 isn’t the sort of car it used to be at all.
I never had strong alliances either, however quality of service does factor into my car choices. I don't need extravagant delivery experiences, swag, espresso bars at the dealer, etc. I do prefer and willing to pay reasonable premium for available, timely and efficient service, available loaner cars, honest estimates with no unnecessary upsells, cleanliness. I get that cars, like anything else, are not perfect, so they will require repair services sometimes, but the key is how the brand makes it right. I went through teething pains with Tesla - even though their cars required more service than any other car I've previously owned, their service was stellar in the early days, they bent over backwards to fix things right. Without it, I would have not bought 4 Model S'es. Side note, their service went to shit after Model 3, then Model Y, got released - they couldn't scale it. It has improved somewhat since, but never even close to the original levels. At home ranger service however continues to be an amazing feature, I wish other manufacturers would copy that - most problems tech comes and fixes your car at your home or workplace.

Reactions: or1

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I get that cars, like anything else, are not perfect, so they will require repair services sometimes, but the key is how the brand makes it right
You seem somewhat blasé about this.
Certainly cars aren't perfect but I expect to get where I am going every time I get in my car. So far I have always done so for the last 50 years from a range of different cars, Renault, Rover Austin early on and Mercedes, Ferrari and Toyota for the last 30 years or so.

Running around the narrow country lanes around here is the least endearing use of the Taycan, and for local driving I had already actually gone back to a Prius about half the time.

A nice long run on faster roads through Wales and Scotland the Taycan is way better, but now I'm nervous to take it on the sort of journeys I bought it and appreciate it for.

:(

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You seem somewhat blasé about this.
Certainly cars aren't perfect but I expect to get where I am going every time I get in my car. So far I have always done so for the last 50 years from a range of different cars, Renault, Rover Austin early on and Mercedes, Ferrari and Toyota for the last 30 years or so.

Running around the narrow country lanes around here is the least endearing use of the Taycan, and for local driving I had already actually gone back to a Prius about half the time.

A nice long run on faster roads through Wales and Scotland the Taycan is way better, but now I'm nervous to take it on the sort of journeys I bought it and appreciate it for.

:(
I've never got stranded by a car mid-trip either (not counting a brief unexpected interruption once after a run-in with a deer, but lucky a bit of duct tape got me going, managed to complete the remaining 1,500 miles - I cannot blame this trip interruption on the car). More often issues with my cars were either at the start of the drive, and/or did not prevent the car from continuing to drive to a safe location. To be fair, your error in the Taycan did say you could continue to drive, so you would not have been stranded. I had my Taycan not boot up the PCM once, which was very annoying, but the car still drove.

All that said, do you guys not have roadside assistance where you drive, should you actually get stranded? No car will guarantee you it will never get a flat, never hit a deer, run over something which disables it, or yes, simply break down.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
do you guys not have roadside assistance where you drive,
Yes but not sure if it would be quick to arrive in the countryside where I prefer to drive.
Having written that I haven’t needed it in the 56 years since I got a license.

We have a German friend’s son staying here at the moment to improve his English. I shall take him to the airport on Sunday, an ideal trip for the Taycan but I won’t be using it :(

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes but not sure if it would be quick to arrive in the countryside where I prefer to drive.
Having written that I haven’t needed it in the 56 years since I got a license.

We have a German friend’s son staying here at the moment to improve his English. I shall take him to the airport on Sunday, an ideal trip for the Taycan but I won’t be using it :(
That's where Porsche drops the ball. You should be in a loaner Taycan. This is what I meant by how the brand handles failures. I'd be rather annoyed in your situation, tempted to ask them to confirm that the car can in fact be driven daily however long it takes to get an appointment - perhaps if I managed to kill the transmission, the repair would go faster (obvious mechanical damage easier to diagnose, no need to send logs to Germany for analysis ;)) - it is under warranty after all.

PS> If your German visitor is there to improve his English, perhaps you should take him in an English car - complete his English experience with a trip in an Aston Martin, Lotus, Jaguar, or even a Land Rover - whatever you might have available to you. Maybe one of your old friends has a McLaren F1 you could borrow, that would leave a bigger impression than a Taycan. He'll be seeing plenty of Taycans back home. ;)

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you should take him in an English car
Not sure which car company is actually British these days. If one considers ownership of IP and profit probably none!

I had an order for a McLaren F1 (Creighton Brown RIP and Gordon Murray were mates of mine) but it was expensive and the car market was tanking at the time I needed to pay a confirming £50k deposit and I got cold feet.

An even bigger loss than my wife putting the kybosh on me buying a Ferrari 275 GTB/4 whilst I could still afford it 25 years ago.

aljparker108

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Totally agree with comments about Assistance being the quick route to getting an issue looked at but be careful ignoring yellow dash warnings. Currently in Greece for the summer but UK based. Had a yellow electrical fault warning appear last week, UK service centre not interested got advice from assistance in France & UK that issue was minor and could wait until October. 24 hours later battery lost 90 Miles of charge overnight and will only now fill to 160 miles! Assistance now recovered the vehicle to Athens to diagnose. Anyone else experienced this issue? Very nervous about our trip back in October!

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Totally agree with comments about Assistance being the quick route to getting an issue looked at but be careful ignoring yellow dash warnings. Currently in Greece for the summer but UK based. Had a yellow electrical fault warning appear last week, UK service centre not interested got advice from assistance in France & UK that issue was minor and could wait until October. 24 hours later battery lost 90 Miles of charge overnight and will only now fill to 160 miles! Assistance now recovered the vehicle to Athens to diagnose. Anyone else experienced this issue? Very nervous about our trip back in October!
I decided to wait for my appointment at my dealer rather than use Porsche assistance, which seems to just be the AA.

I have driven the car briefly but it doesn’t feel normal at all so I am not using it until I take it to the dealer on 1st August despite it being a yellow warning (it looks orange on my display but not sure if it really is yellow).

As an engineer I am concerned persisting with one fault may lead to others…

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As an engineer I am concerned persisting with one fault may lead to others…
As an engineer I wholeheartedly agree with you. As an automotive customer trying to get things fixed under warranty however, I find that unfortunately nothing gets fixed unless you have a reliable repro, and nothing gets things fixed faster than having a 100% repro. This unfortunately means that sometimes it's better to just let it go and let it brake completely than hope the dealer will find the fault. When I was a teenager (so long ago), my father had a Chrysler. Sometimes when he would park it for long time (a week or longer, usually when my parents traveled to Europe) the engine would have a hard time turning over and make weird noise. So he had it towed twice when that happened, dealer found nothing and would not replace anything (by the time the dealer got it, engine ran just fine). He rarely left the car for long and it didn't happen every time. At one point I told him. "the warranty is about to expire, next time this happens, don't shut it down and tow it, just rev it up see what happens", well, what happened was a bunch of noise, smoke and a seized engine - easy-peasy, new engine from Chrysler under warranty (while that did not extend the warranty, that new V6 engine served my father well for years).

I sure hope when you take it in on Aug 1st that the warning doesn't just disappear, as the dealer is likely to just give your car back to you and say "all fixed".

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I sure hope when you take it in on Aug 1st that the warning doesn't just disappear, as the dealer is likely to just give your car back to you and say "all fixed".
The day after the warning first showed I tried again and the warning came up after a mile or so, I tried again this week and it came up again so I am reasonably confident it will be flagged again, the car certainly doesn’t feel normal to drive.

If they think there is no problem they can keep it!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The day after the warning first showed I tried again and the warning came up after a mile or so, I tried again this week and it came up again so I am reasonably confident it will be flagged again, the car certainly doesn’t feel normal to drive.

If they think there is no problem they can keep it!
I'd be worried they reset some ECU's, the error clears, and they send it home. I've personally experienced this kid of fixes before :( Then again, you have plenty of warranty left, so if it happens again....

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'd be worried they reset some ECU's, the error clears, and they send it home. I've personally experienced this kid of fixes before :( Then again, you have plenty of warranty left, so if it happens again....
I’d rather have an adequately engineered product and not need a warranty.

Lack of reliability is the poorest design defect a product can have IMO and my contempt for, and intolerance of, unreliability is close to infinite…
Sponsored