What's a reasonable non-refundable deposit?

Archimedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S
Country flag
For CA residents: In California a dealer cannot ask for more than 2.5% of the purchase price as a deposit, and all deposits are refundable at the request of the buyer, until the vehicle purchase contract is signed (CA Vehicle Code §11736)
While the refundable part is true, not sure about the other part, as dealers routinely ask for, and get, much higher deposits than 2.5% here in California. I had to put $10k down to get my GT4 and $15k for the Taycan.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I got dealer PPF (front only) and don’t regret it. It turned out fine. They used the same shop I was going to use separately anyway.

I would not get wheel/tire insurance, because it’s just that….insurance.

_Brian_

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boxster GTS 4.0, Audi S5 & Taycan 4s (sold)
Country flag
PPF was actually the one I was considering so thanks for this advice. Sounds like you're familiar with nightmare stories of dealer applied PPF's.
I would not be so quick to discount having PPF done through the dealership. I worked out a deal to PPF the front of my BGTS 4.0 at the dealer (where I also bought my Taycan). They sub'd the work to a local speciality detail shop that I would have used anyway. This made the delivery process seamless as the dealer coordinated the PPF contractor to show up the day after the dealer finished prepping the car allowing me to pick up the car with a 1 day delay vs several days tied up leaving the car at the detail shop after taking delivery.

The key to using the dealer is to understand who does the work and the wrap they use. You can then shop the local detailers for pricing and type of wrap they use and use this to negotiate the PPF cost through your dealer. After negotiation, my cost with the dealer was within $200 of estimates provided by the PPF detail shops.

Results in my case was the PPF job was flawless when I took delivery and is still flawless today, after two months

OP
OP
Kbmore22

Kbmore22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, BMW 335i, Lexus LX570
Country flag
I would not be so quick to discount having PPF done through the dealership. I worked out a deal to PPF the front of my BGTS 4.0 at the dealer (where I also bought my Taycan). They sub'd the work to a local speciality detail shop that I would have used anyway. This made the delivery process seamless as the dealer coordinated the PPF contractor to show up the day after the dealer finished prepping the car allowing me to pick up the car with a 1 day delay vs several days tied up leaving the car at the detail shop after taking delivery.

The key to using the dealer is to understand who does the work and the wrap they use. You can then shop the local detailers for pricing and type of wrap they use and use this to negotiate the PPF cost through your dealer. After negotiation, my cost with the dealer was within $200 of estimates provided by the PPF detail shops.

Results in my case was the PPF job was flawless when I took delivery and is still flawless today, after two months
Good point. I’ll ask the dealer who they will use for the installer and do research on them.

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
I did zero deposit on my 2022 PTS turbo S and negotiated a 5% discount

OP
OP
Kbmore22

Kbmore22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I did zero deposit on my 2022 PTS turbo S and negotiated a 5% discount
What?!?!? Was this recent? I thought people were lucky just to find an allocation and pay “only” MSRP, let alone a discount. Well done!

RCorsa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TTS, F8, Urus S , Raptor R, X5, Tesla M3P
Country flag
I got the car about 6-8 weeks ago. Granted I negotiated the deal back in august 2021 when I placed my order and prior to delivery was able to add free paint correction, free clear side markers and free $2000 enclosed transport to my home.

OP
OP
Kbmore22

Kbmore22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I got the car about 6-8 weeks ago. Granted I negotiated the deal back in august 2021 when I placed my order and prior to delivery was able to add free paint correction, free clear side markers and free $2000 enclosed transport to my home.
Very nice! I gather it’ll be at least a year or two before we get back to those days of discounts. I’ll see if they can at least throw in the clear side markers for me. Lol

gnop1950

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4s
Country flag
Good point. I’ll ask the dealer who they will use for the installer and do research on them.
The only cautionary note is that the dealers may, mine does, add a surcharge to the cost of the addon. They do use the same shop(s) that I would use and I didn't mind the surcharge for my window tint since they were selling to me at MSRP.

poppap

First Name
Pop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Taycan RWD (PNYVW213)
Country flag
What dealer? Since you mention enclosed transport then it is not local dealer (Porsche Bellevue) was it?

poppap

First Name
Pop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Taycan RWD (PNYVW213)
Country flag
I would get the wheel and tire insurance; I didn’t but lots of examples on here where it made sense to! Especially if getting the mission e wheels.
I am getting the Mission E, anyone knows what should I be expecting to pay if I will take the insurance, and for how long is the coverage?

Skilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I was able to find an available allocation but the dealer is asking for a $13K non-refundable deposit to place the order. Is this a reasonable amount? They initially asked for $15K but conceded to reducing to $13K. With it being non-refundable, my main concern is having unforeseen delays pushing delivery out much farther than expected (12+ months out from now) and me having no options but being forced to wait.
given these are gold I can understand why they are doing it. That said, check your state - California for example is not a state that allows non-refundable deposits. They are illegal here.
Sponsored