Going away for 10 days.. leave plugged in or not?

kailifish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
i left mine for a total of 21 days with SoC of about 79%, while on the second day abroad i checked to see it hasn’t dropped and left it as is.

Upon coming home the 12V battery has died which required me to jump the car, then all else was fine. Mine is 21, and did the ANB5 recall. which i think was supposed to fix the issue?

now trying to figure out if should leave it plugged next time, (so big batt can charge small batt)?

EDIT:
to add: after jumping (first pop frunk to 12v batt), i start the car and everything back in normal, didn’t lose any of the settings etc.

dealer said the car went into “standby” mode ?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
I’ve had EVs for 10 years now. Volt for 4 years, Model S for 7 years and now Taycan.

I always leave the cars unplugged. Although I have to be careful with the Tesla with its horrible vampire drain. The Taycan has almost no vampire drain.

The reason is, I live in Florida, the lightning capital of the US. Many of my friends, family and neighbors have lost very expense electronic equipment from lightning strikes. I don’t trust the charger to isolate the car from a strike.

Im out of the country for a while right now and my Taycan is sitting nicely at 53% charged, unplugged, draining almost no power at all. Isolated from anything that hits the house….. we’ll except a hurricane I guess…
In the manual, Porsche specifically warns against charging during a thunderstorm so that a lightning strike will not F up the electronics.

Porsche Taycan Going away for 10 days.. leave plugged in or not? 80C96A16-0E20-4A54-9E69-73A1C6F10033

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
I’ve had EVs for 10 years now. Volt for 4 years, Model S for 7 years and now Taycan.

I always leave the cars unplugged. Although I have to be careful with the Tesla with its horrible vampire drain. The Taycan has almost no vampire drain.

The reason is, I live in Florida, the lightning capital of the US. Many of my friends, family and neighbors have lost very expense electronic equipment from lightning strikes. I don’t trust the charger to isolate the car from a strike.

Im out of the country for a while right now and my Taycan is sitting nicely at 53% charged, unplugged, draining almost no power at all. Isolated from anything that hits the house….. we’ll except a hurricane I guess…
That sounds like a perfectly reasonable explanation for why to keep you car unplugged in Florida. However, it would imply that you should also only charge when there is no possibility of lightening (which can happen in both sunny and rainy weather) and unplug the car immediately after charging completes. I have heard this explanation myself, and even unplugged my cars during a storm or two early on in my EV adventures. But then it got me thinking, while I was fairly active in the Tesla owner and hacker communities, I have never come across anyone who had reported any car damage due to a lightening strike entering through the charger. I suspect you don't shut off the main fuses of your house any time you think there may be lightening to protect the electronics in your home. Maybe you use surge protectors (I do), but I would think EV's have at least as good surge protection as the fairly inexpensive surge protectors you can buy for your home.

As a side question, out of curiosity, since you've lived in Florida, how many times have you had your home electronics blown up by lightening?

Reactions: B61

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
That sounds like a perfectly reasonable explanation for why to keep you car unplugged in Florida. However, it would imply that you should also only charge when there is no possibility of lightening (which can happen in both sunny and rainy weather) and unplug the car immediately after charging completes. I have heard this explanation myself, and even unplugged my cars during a storm or two early on in my EV adventures. But then it got me thinking, while I was fairly active in the Tesla owner and hacker communities, I have never come across anyone who had reported any car damage due to a lightening strike entering through the charger. I suspect you don't shut off the main fuses of your house any time you think there may be lightening to protect the electronics in your home. Maybe you use surge protectors (I do), but I would think EV's have at least as good surge protection as the fairly inexpensive surge protectors you can buy for your home.

As a side question, out of curiosity, since you've lived in Florida, how many times have you had your home electronics blown up by lightening?
probably a little more detail than most people want,

I would hope the the designers of the chargers open the circuit (relay) when the car is not calling for power. I can hear the relay close when I first plug the car in. If I could verify that it opens after (while in hold mode) I would feel a little better. But if the car is actively charging the risk is still there. Bottom line, any of my electronics are open to surge damage, but I only unplug the ones that costs 6 figures.

I do also try and unplug both cars (Taycan and Model S) if we are in an active lightening storm.

As far as likelyhood:

7 years ago I was on a boat that was stuck on the high “on anchor” light. The boats faraday cage and grounding system worked and routed the power to the water. I was piloting the boat on the flybridge. That was an experience!

Last year my parants house (2 miles away) was stuck. It killed their microwave and their electric stove.

Eight months ago our neighbor across the streets tall palm tree was stuck (killed it), jumped to the street light (blowing it up) and into the ground, backfed across the street and took my side neighbors TV out. I was in our house when it hit, car was not plugged in.

Unfortunately living in the sunshine state is not without some downsides…

s5urf

First Name
stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT
Country flag
Not missing anything at all.

Entirely optional.

The concern has been around the 12v battery which has led to various issues all of which have been resolved.
My 12v batery die after leaving the car for two weeks - not plugged in - fairly recently. Porsche have yet to tell me how to avoid this. What is the solution (you say it has ben resolved)?

DocMart3n

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
This may be a naive questions, as I'm barely a year after initial deposit and have at least another year before any chance of seeing a physical Taycan in my garage, but why is leaving the car plugged in for days an issue? I've been driving Teslas for 9 years and it seems logical that the car has software in it smart enough to determine when it needs to charge or not charge. So a plugged in car can decide to charge the battery to top it off if needed, or can shut down the charger if it decides not charging is better for the car. By leaving it unplugged, you take that choice away from the software - if the battery SoC is decaying too much, there is nothing the car can to do help itself. Is the Taycan software so bad that it will damage a car if you give a choice to charge whenever it wants, or did the Porsche engineers forget to design in the ability for software to turn off charging? What am I missing here?
An EV battery is best kept at 50%. It is the "goldilock zone" of a battery. The more extreme to either end the shorter the shelf life. Its extremely bad to leave any electric car 100% charged or 0% charged. However, the Porsche never charges its battery to 100% and what appears as 100% is in fact 90%. So having the battery charged to around 55% is probably optimum. You can setup your desired charging levels in a Porsche as you like

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
My 12v batery die after leaving the car for two weeks - not plugged in - fairly recently. Porsche have yet to tell me how to avoid this. What is the solution (you say it has ben resolved)?
I just came back from a 2 week trip. I left my Taycan in the garage unplugged.
The battery charge started at 85% and when I came back, it was 84%. There were no issues with the 12v battery.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
That;s strange.
During last winter, i parked mine outside, under the roof for 10 or 11 days (i was ill). Outside temp below zero… SoC was something around 60%…and it was 1% less when i started….12V shows 13.2V…

GBT

First Name
Gastao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 635D; BMW X5 3.0D; Porsche Taycan 4S (ordered)
Country flag
Sorry, I know this has been posted before but I can’t find the threads.
Going away on holidays for 10 days. Question is
1. Leave car plugged in or not?
2. What state of charge to leave it at?

Was planning on leaving car in garage at 80%, not plugged in. Any issues?

Sorry for the repetitive question
When I am away for more than 5 days I leave it connected to the charge at a Profile 50-60% and the SoC around or below that too.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

I would hope the the designers of the chargers open the circuit (relay) when the car is not calling for power. I can hear the relay close when I first plug the car in. If I could verify that it opens after (while in hold mode) I would feel a little better. But if the car is actively charging the risk is still there. Bottom line, any of my electronics are open to surge damage, but I only unplug the ones that costs 6 figures.

I do also try and unplug both cars (Taycan and Model S) if we are in an active lightening storm.

As far as likelyhood:

7 years ago I was on a boat that was stuck on the high “on anchor” light. The boats faraday cage and grounding system worked and routed the power to the water. I was piloting the boat on the flybridge. That was an experience!

Last year my parants house (2 miles away) was stuck. It killed their microwave and their electric stove.

Eight months ago our neighbor across the streets tall palm tree was stuck (killed it), jumped to the street light (blowing it up) and into the ground, backfed across the street and took my side neighbors TV out. I was in our house when it hit, car was not plugged in.

I absolutely see your reasons to be cautious, especially nowadays that even if covered under warranty, it might take months to get a new part if it was to get damaged. That said, given the likelihood of lightening caused surges (note that surges can come from other sources too, including from devices inside your home), don't you guys in the sunshine state install whole house surge protection for your homes? Check out the video posted with this product on Amazon - it has a good high level overview of surge protection for your home.
https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-51120-1-Panel-Protector-240-Volt/dp/B00081K55Q
Btw, given that a brand name whole house protector for external surges costs $250, you'd think a $100K-$250K Porsche would have a surge protector built in as well, but then again, maybe they saved that cost since customers don't like paying for things they cannot see (I once worked with a premium car manufacturer who offered hardened/more powerful security gateway for the car's internet connection as an option, almost no customers chose to spec it, even though it was a tiny fraction of the cost of the car).

Alemany

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Tesla P100D, MiniCooper Cooper limited edition, Taycan Turbo S (ordered), Giulia Quadrafoglio
Country flag
Sorry, I know this has been posted before but I can’t find the threads.
Going away on holidays for 10 days. Question is
1. Leave car plugged in or not?
2. What state of charge to leave it at?

Was planning on leaving car in garage at 80%, not plugged in. Any issues?

Sorry for the repetitive question
I have left my car parked at the airport for up to 6 weeks and only lost like 2 miles of range. That would have ever worked on my Tesla, but this one is awesome at saving power when off.

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
I have left my car parked at the airport for up to 6 weeks and only lost like 2 miles of range. That would have ever worked on my Tesla, but this one is awesome at saving power when off.
And you didn't have any problems with the 12v battery? What was the approximate temperature range during this time period? Just curious, thanks in advance!

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag

As far as likelyhood:

You are missing out there.....
You want to get your ar5e over here to Manchester!

It could save you the cost of a new telly or microwave.......and you also get to enjoy 50 Shades of grey (weather) and drizzle most of the year.

Note the lack of luxury boats being struck by lightning in the picture.
I think this was mid summers day a couple of days ago 😆

Porsche Taycan Going away for 10 days.. leave plugged in or not? JS64974433

Alemany

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 600LT, Nissan GTR, Tesla P100D, MiniCooper Cooper limited edition, Taycan Turbo S (ordered), Giulia Quadrafoglio
Country flag
And you didn't have any problems with the 12v battery? What was the approximate temperature range during this time period? Just curious, thanks in advance!
I didn’t. It was March April in Cincinnati. Not too cold but not hot. I am doing it again, traveling for 2 weeks left car at the airport. I could not do this with my previous Tesla.
Sponsored