First Name
Wyman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GLC300 Coupe; Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi,

I live in a country that has static electricity rate and hence I charge my Taycan anytime I prefer.

In the car, I set Charge -> Profiles -> General Charging Profile -> Minimum charge = 85% and selected Optimised charging

Whenever I charge my car, it will stop at 85%, which is what I want. However, if I did not unplug the charging cable, after sometime (around 60 minutes I think), the car will resume charging until it reach 100%.

Is this normal? Or I set something wrong? Does that mean I have no way to leave the car plugged in without it automatically charge over 85%?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
No. Not normal. I use the same settings and leave the cable plugged in over night. Always stops at 85%.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
No not normal, I have the default profile set to 85% and the car stops at 85% and does not charge anymore. Can can be connected for days and just sits at 85%

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi,

I live in a country that has static electricity rate and hence I charge my Taycan anytime I prefer.

In the car, I set Charge -> Profiles -> General Charging Profile -> Minimum charge = 85% and selected Optimised charging

Whenever I charge my car, it will stop at 85%, which is what I want. However, if I did not unplug the charging cable, after sometime (around 60 minutes I think), the car will resume charging until it reach 100%.

Is this normal? Or I set something wrong? Does that mean I have no way to leave the car plugged in without it automatically charge over 85%?

Thanks.
This can happen.

Things to try:

Check that you have no other active profiles or timers.

Optimized charging doesn't offer anything unless you have solar in the mix when home charging. Preferred charging time would be a more logical choice.

Try introducing a departure timer to force the completion of a charging session.

Disable the general profile and add a location based profile and call it 'Home - 85%'. Set minimum charge to 25% and set preferred charging times. Add to this a Timer and set target charge to 85%.

OP
OP

teeyk

First Name
Wyman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GLC300 Coupe; Taycan 4S
Country flag
This can happen.

Things to try:

Check that you have no other active profiles or timers.

Optimized charging doesn't offer anything unless you have solar in the mix when home charging. Preferred charging time would be a more logical choice.

Try introducing a departure timer to force the completion of a charging session.

Disable the general profile and add a location based profile and call it 'Home - 85%'. Set minimum charge to 25% and set preferred charging times. Add to this a Timer and set target charge to 85%.
I don't drive the car same time and not drive everyday. So, I don't have a fix charging period, that is the reason I didn't select preferred charging time. Maybe I should test by select it and set to 00:00 to 23:59.

Due to above lifestyle, I think setting departure timer also not good for me.

I have Porsche Home Energy Manager and Porsche Mobile Charger Connect connect to my home WiFi (both connect different nodes of my mesh WiFi 6 network). Randomly, the PMCC will show error regarding it lost connection with the PHEM, as soon as I click ok on the PMCC to omit the error, it will connect to PHEM again.

Maybe I will also test by disconnect the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect from my home WiFi and see how it goes.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback, at least now I know it is not normal that it resume charging automatically if cable plugged in.

Thanks.

OP
OP

teeyk

First Name
Wyman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GLC300 Coupe; Taycan 4S
Country flag
I just went to change the charging profile from "Optimised charging" to "Set preferred charging time" (12:00am - 12:00am). Then I realise an explanation at the side, it sound like it will resume change if I understand it correctly!

Porsche Taycan Car Resume Charge Until 100% If Cable Plugged In IMG_65542.JPG

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I don't drive the car same time and not drive everyday. So, I don't have a fix charging period, that is the reason I didn't select preferred charging time. Maybe I should test by select it and set to 00:00 to 23:59.

Due to above lifestyle, I think setting departure timer also not good for me.

I have Porsche Home Energy Manager and Porsche Mobile Charger Connect connect to my home WiFi (both connect different nodes of my mesh WiFi 6 network). Randomly, the PMCC will show error regarding it lost connection with the PHEM, as soon as I click ok on the PMCC to omit the error, it will connect to PHEM again.

Maybe I will also test by disconnect the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect from my home WiFi and see how it goes.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback, at least now I know it is not normal that it resume charging automatically if cable plugged in.

Thanks.
It doesn't matter - you don't need to be driving it daily nor by a pre-set time - the suggestion is simply to curtail your current charging problem. I use the suggested profile & timer combination but don't use the car daily - works perfectly.

Disconnecting from WiFi won't do anything - charging is controlled by the car and not your EVSE (PMCC).

There is mention of what happens if your cable is left connected and there is no pending future charging event (in the Porsche Good to Know App - search in there) where the car will start to charge until it reaches 100% - sounds like your issue.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have Porsche Home Energy Manager
That may be the difference. I don’t know what all the HEM does, but it’s referenced for use in conjunction with optimized charging.

Then I realise an explanation at the side, it sound like it will resume change if I understand it correctly!
Without a timer, the car will charge to a target of 100% during the preferred charge times. If you have a timer set, it will stop at the timer’s departure time.

There is mention of what happens if your cable is left connected and there is no pending future charging event (in the Porsche Good to Know App - search in there) where the car will start to charge until it reaches 100% - sounds like your issue.
That’s related to non-repeating timers and doesn’t apply to OP’s issue.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4, 991.2 GT3
Country flag
Without a timer, the car will charge to a target of 100% during the preferred charge times. If you have a timer set, it will stop at the timer’s departure time.
I have no timer set and the car stops at the 85% of the profile.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have no timer set and the car stops at the 85% of the profile.
Are you using optimized or preferred times? I was specifically replying to the selection of preferred times.

Jayyvr890

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have also noticed this, but in my case I think it was a result of circuit breaker tripping (I charge my taycan at home in an apartment complex where every spot has a 240v 50amp supply).

After the circuit tripped the car must have defaulted to direct charging so it charged to 100%. I got a notification on my phone stating 'charge error' so I figure the power must have been interrupted sometime during the night.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I have also noticed this, but in my case I think it was a result of circuit breaker tripping (I charge my taycan at home in an apartment complex where every spot has a 240v 50amp supply).

After the circuit tripped the car must have defaulted to direct charging so it charged to 100%. I got a notification on my phone stating 'charge error' so I figure the power must have been interrupted sometime during the night.
I don't think that is possible or likely as direct charging has to be manually selected.

If by some quirk this did happen then it would remain enabled until manually disabled as once enabled all existing profiles and timers are ignored.

OP
OP

teeyk

First Name
Wyman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GLC300 Coupe; Taycan 4S
Country flag
I think I have fix the problem.

In HEM, I disable "Cost-optimised charging". Previously was enable by installer.
Porsche Taycan Car Resume Charge Until 100% If Cable Plugged In Screenshot 2022-03-24 232602

In Car, I set 85% in general profile.
In Car, I select "Optimised Charging" in general profile.

Now, it stop at 85% even if I leave charging cable plugged.

I think in this setup, the car immediately charge to 85% as soon as I plug in. Once it reach 85%, the car don't have a price-power tables, which I guess the car see it as no preferred time at all and hence does not continue.

Avharrisjr

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Cayenne S, and Taycan
Country flag
There is a difference between setup of Profile and Timer. Value set in Profile is minimum charge to be reached before charging slows and is controlled considering optimum charging time setting etc. my experience is that over time it will reach 100%. The value in the Timer is the charge you want at the scheduled departure time, ie the maximum charge. I have used Timer to charge to 50% and then left the car plugged in tor several weeks and it stayed right there at 50%. Just make sure that you are careful about what Timers are set. You can have Profiles and Timers set at same time. This lets you specify a SOC to get to quickly and then the Timer takes it to a maximum.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Value set in Profile is minimum charge to be reached before charging slows and is controlled considering optimum charging time setting etc. my experience is that over time it will reach 100%.
This is not correct. The profile will charge to the min immediately, but doesn’t then slow and continue charging outside of the reasons listed below. Not that I’ve seen. My EVSE indicates it’s off when the profile min is reached. If your car continues charging, it’s either because:
  • You have a HEM interacting with the optimized charging (like OP)
  • You have preferred times set
  • You have a timer set
  • You have direct charging on
Sponsored