2022 RWD
PCM updated (color icons)
Mission E wheels, all season Goodyear tires
Manual charge doors
Air suspension
Range setting
PBP+ battery
Drive speed 81mph, air on 73f

The trip went from Central Florida to Knoxville TN and back. Approx 720 miles each way with many elevation changes between 23ft to 3000ft. Drove up the US95 corridor on the way north and US75 corridor on the way south. Temps were between 90-100f. Very lite winds, heavy rains on the way up.

Conclusion; after taking the trip many times in a Model S, the Taycan was amazing. All the EA charging stations worked, plug and play. Some required multiple plug ins, and one required moving the car. But none of them left us stranded or even requiring a phone call or app use.

On the drive up, one of the charge stops maxed at 107kw (350 station) but the rest were at least 200kw. Never had a stop with no slots available. The drive up was difficult to compare to a gas car (our previous trip) because ofheavy rain and traffic jams, but the way down was a different story.

On the drive down, the EA stations were nearly perfect (2 restarts needed). The charge rates were incredible. We didn’t even have time to eat…. At one point the charge rate was still over 260kw at over 40% charge.
Porsche Taycan 1500 Mile Road Trip - Central Florida to Knoxville TN and back 72AADA0F-F70B-494F-AEB8-235EB16DAA81

The trip back took 12 hours and 15 min. 4 charging stops lasting less than 2 hours total (total off freeway time). This is only about 30min more than a gas car trip.

The vehicle performance: The car had ranges from 260-270 miles (with mission Es) running cruise speeds around 80-82 mph. No special driving techniques were used at all (IE drafting). The car easily reached the first chargers at 230miles with 30-40 miles left. We had 4 people (all over 5’ 6”) in the car fitting comfortably the whole way. I did use the Porsche range management system. I did notice the batteries running over 100f (very hot day) while driving but when I got within 15 miles of the EA charging station the batteries would cool to 90-95 deg. Very obvious because the way back the outside temp was 100f. At every station I arrived last and left first everytime.

For the first time in 7 years my wife enjoyed a long trip in an EV. She had always asked to take the gas car previously.

The car can easily gap 3 hour legs and had longer endurance than its passengers. The car was a quiet, smooth, and comfortable ride hour after hour.

It answered my last remaining question about the Taycan. It’s a great long hauler!
Sponsored

Last edited:

JRNJTAYCAN

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Taycan, 22 Q5, 95 F150 Flair Side
Country flag
Thanks for sharing this story, it's so nice to hear a positive story about the car! I know there are so many more but we tend to hear more bad than good.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Excellent - your experiences match mine on my 4-5 shorter multi-hundred mile trips to date and good to have another successful data point!

Jrkennedy37

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Panamera ST, '21 Taycan CT4
Country flag
Thank you for the thorough update. It sounds like you were able to push 240 miles and still have some change left - any idea what your efficiency worked out to for w/mi or kWh/100mi?

OP
OP
Marcad80

Marcad80

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Country flag
Thank you for the thorough update. It sounds like you were able to push 240 miles and still have some change left - any idea what your efficiency worked out to for w/mi or kWh/100mi?
it was hovering around 33kwh/100miles

one additional thing to bring up is that the car has the PCM update (colored icons). Seems like that makes a range change….
Sponsored