"WBA Limited" warnings...

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I've had the same messages and my Taycan has been at the dealership for the past two weeks addressing the random WBA warnings as well as otherissues (eSound disappearing, PCM resets and Passenger screen working intermittently).

For the WBA issue, I have a response from the Taycan "expert" at PCNA....

"- WBA limited. It should say in the owner's manual that it's not a problem. WBA is warning and brake assist. You see this message when there are circumstances that it isn't completely sure about. If it isn't very certain of the surroundings,

it must limit itself and that's all it's saying. I have far more time and miles of seat time with Taycan than anyone else so I've seen this many times. The most common times for me:

1. Weather.. usually heavy heavy rain or in particular, splashing through big puddles.

2. Just unusual (to the ZFAS system) surroundings where the mapping, camera, and radars are not quite clear on the situation. There's this spot by my home that will set that message (not a warning) off about 25% of the time. It's tough to describe but it's two lanes going each way, downhill, I'll be in the left lane, and the center median had a row of skinny trees with very thick tops that start about 8 feet from the ground. It really doesn't matter what the scenario is but that's the one that makes that message appear for me. There are numerous ways that the system can be unsure of the surroundings and it's certainly not going to act on information it's not certain of. Therefore, it just let's you know that.
"

So it seems that the sensors associated with the Warning and Brake Assist (WBA) subsystem are set to a higher level of sensitivity which seems to drive these warnings.

YMMV.

Toby
Long story short: if it's blind it can't see.
Sponsored

TAYC4S

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911C4S; Jag F-TypeR; Taycan4S; Turbo+992 (ordered)
Country flag
Just a word to the watchful....... I received this message as the second in a series before my PCM finally quit and reset itself.
1. E-Sound not available. 3 instances of this error over the course of three weeks - no discernible pattern. Turning car off and back on restored E-Sound.
2. WBA alerts. I received as many as 6-7 of them following the E-Sound errors. Turning car off and back on cleared the WBA errors.
3. Bluetooth connects to iPhone but no audio heard or sent. Turning car off did not reset error condition.
4. Voice Assistant stopped working. I think people were amused as I was yelling at my car! Turning car off and back on did not restore function. This situation lasted for about 24 hours.
5. PCM finally seems to have had enough errors that it forced its own reset. All functionality restored - E-Sound, WBA, Bluetooth and Voice Assistant.
6. Passenger screen went blank.

Car has been at the dealer for one week. Tech is getting closer to reproducing the Psgr Screen issue, but no joy on the PCM. PCNA and PAG know about the issue and are “actively working it”. There are rumors of an upcoming PCM software release, but no timeframes or content disclosures. The dealer, who has been great, is working this hard to get it fixed.
They did put me into a new ice-blue 4S!

It’s software and Porsche is having real teething problems.

Toby
I heard that a new s/w update is due out 1st week in Nov. Not sure if accurate but I think it was mentioned in a previous post somewhere as well.

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
I've had the same messages and my Taycan has been at the dealership for the past two weeks addressing the random WBA warnings as well as otherissues (eSound disappearing, PCM resets and Passenger screen working intermittently).

"- WBA limited. It should say in the owner's manual that it's not a problem. WBA is warning and brake assist. You see this message when there are circumstances that it isn't completely sure about. If it isn't very certain of the surroundings,

it must limit itself and that's all it's saying. I have far more time and miles of seat time with Taycan than anyone else so I've seen this many times. The most common times for me:

1. Weather.. usually heavy heavy rain or in particular, splashing through big puddles.

2. Just unusual (to the ZFAS system) surroundings where the mapping, camera, and radars are not quite clear on the situation. There's this spot by my home that will set that message (not a warning) off about 25% of the time. It's tough to describe but it's two lanes going each way, downhill, I'll be in the left lane, and the center median had a row of skinny trees with very thick tops that start about 8 feet from the ground. It really doesn't matter what the scenario is but that's the one that makes that message appear for me. There are numerous ways that the system can be unsure of the surroundings and it's certainly not going to act on information it's not certain of. Therefore, it just let's you know that.
"

So it seems that the sensors associated with the Warning and Brake Assist (WBA) subsystem are set to a higher level of sensitivity which seems to drive these warnings.

YMMV.

Toby
This all makes sense to me. I saw the WBA warning once early last week, and it was in a situation where the right lane diverged from the left two lanes, which then dipped through an underpass. Basically, a strange split road elevation with lots of greenery. So it seems like there's a case that it simply doesn't handle well. The funny thing to me is that I have seen the same kind of road split less than a mile from the Porsche factory in Zuffenhausen, so you think they'd have an opportunity to test/refine the behavior in this situation.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag

"

YMMV.

Toby
I'm such a fan of WARNING messages that "can be ignored". That way, you get used to ignoring any/all WARNING messages that come around. We shouldn't be WARNED about things we don't need to be WARNED about!

"Cry Wolf" anyone?

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Acura MDX, Mini Cooper
Country flag

"

YMMV.

Toby
Appreciate the posted response. I had this pop up on me today and knew I’d be scanning the forum for WBA since I saw this message a bit ago. While the message popped up there was extremely light rain on a stretch of road I’ve driven dozens of times (6 times today alone). It’s very familiar with where I was since I’ve been there a lot, and at most an extremely light rain (I wouldn’t even call it a drizzle)...but OK it comes off as a warning and scares the crap out of me but isn’t really a warning just an alert and I’m overreacting...all good, I feel better.

OP
OP
evanevery

evanevery

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2019 BMW i8, 2023 BMW iXM60
Country flag
Appreciate the posted response. I had this pop up on me today and knew I’d be scanning the forum for WBA since I saw this message a bit ago. While the message popped up there was extremely light rain on a stretch of road I’ve driven dozens of times (6 times today alone). It’s very familiar with where I was since I’ve been there a lot, and at most an extremely light rain (I wouldn’t even call it a drizzle)...but OK it comes off as a warning and scares the crap out of me but isn’t really a warning just an alert and I’m overreacting...all good, I feel better.
Yeah, don't worry about WARNINGS. They are nothing you need to be WARNED about. Might as well not even show them...

If this doesn't work for you, just make a two column list of WARNINGS - those you need to be concerned about and those you can ignore. Just tape it to you dashboard...

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche 928S
Country flag
Is WBA or any other Taycan systems designed to stop the car and prevent the driver from backing into a solid object like a wall or another car (other than the audible and visual warnings from the parkin alert)?

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Is WBA or any other Taycan systems designed to stop the car and prevent the driver from backing into a solid object like a wall or another car (other than the audible and visual warnings from the parkin alert)?
That is what WBA is supposed to do. Except when it is giving you a non-warning, then who the hell knows what's about to happen. All will be fine so long as you don't panic.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
Yeah, don't worry about WARNINGS. They are nothing you need to be WARNED about. Might as well not even show them...

If this doesn't work for you, just make a two column list of WARNINGS - those you need to be concerned about and those you can ignore. Just tape it to you dashboard...
That is funny. When teaching instrument flying I taught students to use a dollar bill folded in half to cover a dead instrument to keep your brain from focusing on it.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
That is what WBA is supposed to do. Except when it is giving you a non-warning, then who the hell knows what's about to happen. All will be fine so long as you don't panic.
Was creeping into a tight parking spot yesterday with a high curb and the Taycan stopped and would not let me pull forward. The system thought we were about to curb the right wheel on the corner (we would have missed it but not by much).

Reactions: Dee

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Was creeping into a tight parking spot yesterday with a high curb and the Taycan stopped and would not let me pull forward. The system thought we were about to curb the right wheel on the corner (we would have missed it but not by much).
I saw your post on this in another thread. I do not think your experience is related to WBA. I had WBA non-warning tonight and I successfully wasn't warned. It definitely did not brake for me, as that would be an indication of an overactive WBA rather than a non-functioning WBA. I definitely think you need to take yours into the dealer. You should have had a warning, not a non-warning.

GaryT

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S, Porsche Macan, Porsche 911 Turbo, Porsche 928S
Country flag
Unfortunately, WBA didn't stop me from backing my Taycan into my wife's Macan.

With only 700 miles on my new car, and still overcoming old habits of backing my 2007 Turbo, relying on its great rear visability, I'm not accustomed to backing while staring at the center display. So, I was looking over my right shoulder and didn't see the back of the Macan blocking the left side of the driveway.

Crunch! Fortunately, damage to both cars was minor with only some bumper scrapes.
If I got a WBA warning I was looking to the rear and never saw it.

Bottom line is the car did not stop. Should it have?

PNWTaycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘91 Polar Silver 964, ‘20 Dolomite Silver Taycan 4S, ‘19 Gravity Blue Nero EV
Country flag
I’ve had the WBA show up just in the last several weeks also, in a variety of situations. Goes away quickly. Fall weather conditions. Appreciate the thread, I’ll monitor the circumstances.

Dlurker20

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Unfortunately, WBA didn't stop me from backing my Taycan into my wife's Macan.

With only 700 miles on my new car, and still overcoming old habits of backing my 2007 Turbo, relying on its great rear visability, I'm not accustomed to backing while staring at the center display. So, I was looking over my right shoulder and didn't see the back of the Macan blocking the left side of the driveway.

Crunch! Fortunately, damage to both cars was minor with only some bumper scrapes.
If I got a WBA warning I was looking to the rear and never saw it.

Bottom line is the car did not stop. Should it have?
That really sucks. I'm so sorry to hear that! Nice that it isn't too damaged, but still!

From my experience in other cars, it is speed dependent. I didn't see anything explicit in the Good to Know about speed and brake assist. Does anybody know from other Porsche models?
Sponsored