epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Is anyone else getting a lot of noise between 45-55mph in Sport? It's the same whether regen is on or off, and no I don't have the sport sound enabled. ?
I have not noticed anything, but I’ll pay close attention next time I drive. Sport or Sport Plus? Also can you describe the noise more?
Sponsored

gonzo

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Lucid Air DE, Tesla 3
Country flag
I have not noticed anything, but I’ll pay close attention next time I drive. Sport or Sport Plus? Also can you describe the noise more?
Sure, it sounds like winding out 1st gear. It comes from the rear of the vehicle and it modulates with the pedal pressure. If it was a combustion engine it would sound normal, but I've never heard anything like it in an EV. You should definitely notice it especially on smoother roads.

PT Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Is anyone else getting a lot of noise between 45-55mph in Sport? It's the same whether regen is on or off, and no I don't have the sport sound enabled. ?

Some background -- I recently had a major failure that seemed mechanical in nature while switching from Sport to Normal. This led to my vehicle being towed to the dealer where they kept it for 1.5 weeks during which time they applied the control system updates. They could not provide a definitive cause of the failure although they were confident the updates would prevent a recurrence.

My primary concern is that there was some mechanical damage during the incident. Porsche has confirmed the noise but is saying that it's consistent with other Taycans. I am hopeful that's the case, but I'm looking for some independent verification from this group if possible.
I haven't notice a noise in that speed range either but then again it would be hard for me to hear it as I typically have the sport sound engaged. I will also check next time I drive without the SS. If this was an ICE vehicle, I'd suggest checking the tranny fluid.

Just came across this article. Might give you some insight.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a28903274/porsche-taycan-transmission/

According to the article, gear shifting time is long and takes place near 50 mph. May explain why it winds out but don't know if it is enough to explain the noise.

Also, I think this topic deserves its own thread and you might get more responses because it would have better visibility.

Last edited:

Mazithra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan & Taycan & Mini Cooper SE
Country flag
When in Sport mode my Turbo S seems to be staying in 1st until 55mph or so, later than mentioned in the Jalopnik thread if I'm reading it right. It's also fairly noisy between 45-55. I started noticing this after the big update, although I may have missed it before. Anyone else experiencing this?
I noticed the same sound today on my Taycan. Mine does it around 40-45mph, and then the noise disappears when the car shifts into the second gear.

Hope it's not an issue...
Sponsored