Allocations - 4S vs Turbo

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have an order with my dealer for a 4 S with early July delivery. With all the options I have, I’m considering an upgrade to the Turbo. The incremental cost to me for the Turbo, combined with the expected higher resale value of the Turbo, makes the upgrade appealing to me.

Sadly, my dealer doesn’t have any available Turbo allocations. I’m curious - does anyone know how the dealer allocations work - how many cars they get in each trim? And does anyone know when dealers will be getting more allocations? Also, there is a lot of talk of more options possibly becoming available in June, such as HUD, maybe soft close doors, 22 kw charging, etc. Would these options be available to cars built in June? Or, would it only apply to cars ordered in June and later...
Sponsored

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Each dealer gets different allocations based on a lot of things (like, those surveys after service matter!). It also depends how many of those allocations are spoken for already.

Allocations change all the time. If you are in a hurry, start calling around, even out of area. I don't expect to get a Turbo slot until next year here.

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have an order with my dealer for a 4 S with early July delivery. With all the options I have, I’m considering an upgrade to the Turbo. The incremental cost to me for the Turbo, combined with the expected higher resale value of the Turbo, makes the upgrade appealing to me.

Sadly, my dealer doesn’t have any available Turbo allocations. I’m curious - does anyone know how the dealer allocations work - how many cars they get in each trim? And does anyone know when dealers will be getting more allocations? Also, there is a lot of talk of more options possibly becoming available in June, such as HUD, maybe soft close doors, 22 kw charging, etc. Would these options be available to cars built in June? Or, would it only apply to cars ordered in June and later...
Dealers have been known to swap allocations, in one case I heard, even pay another dealer for one of their allocations. It is a bit of a crap shoot and I recommend calling out of the way dealers where demand may be low, like Detroit ;).

As far as options in June, I doubt it. I think that expectation comes from their history when the new model year is generally available in the fall, so it would make sense that a car built in June has some additional features in it. In this case, it doesn't appear they are hitting production stride until April or May (??) so it is unlikely they would introduce even more new things already in June.

Some people point to the brochure that shows more colors, but I also heard that that brochure was already available in the Fall of last year so that is not necessarily new.

All guess on my part and since there is nothing definitive from Porsche except the aluminum roof in June, there just seems to be a lot of either speculation, "heard on the internet that" or a little wishful thinking (gee, Panamera has soft closed doors, so Taycan should too). They may all be right or wrong, i am just saying there is nothing official.

Only thing I can guarantee is that if you keep waiting to see what the new stuff is, you will never buy a Porsche ;)

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks. What I’m wondering is what the ratios are of the different trim levels, among a dealer’s total allocation. So 60% 4S, 30% Turbo, 10% Turbo S...?

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks. What I’m wondering is what the ratios are of the different trim levels, among a dealer’s total allocation. So 60% 4S, 30% Turbo, 10% Turbo S...?
a total guess on my part is 75% 4S, 20% turbo, 5% S.

That is just based on not seeing a lot of S orders and a lot of early questions from people "has anyone got a confirmed allocation", and that the 4S seems to be what people are ordering a lot more (so the allocations may have shifted in that direction). I think Europe seems to have more people talking about the turbo than people in the US.

I think they may have intended to have more allocations for the Turbo until the pricing came out - since IIRC, the 4S wasn't even mentioned at launch and people talked about the next trim may not even be announced until the spring....then 6 or so weeks later, the 4S shows up and lots of people were talking about those orders.

Now of course, this is based on people chatting on these and other forums. People who are buying a fully equipped Turbo or S may not bother to hang out here asking about whether to add feature X instead of feature Y. LOL.

paladin732

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Lucid
Country flag
Call around to different dealers.

All the dealers in the sfbay area have insane backlogs, but Arizona and socal are much better. I just placed a turbo order today that locks next week.

You can also order from elsewhere in the country out of your area. (if you are near LA or ATL, you can get a car from ANY dealer delivered to the PEC)
Sponsored