Resale value, 4S vs Turbo?

Lfcdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan (soon), Etron Launch edition (soon) EX 911 Targa 4s and Cayenne hybrid (2010)
Country flag
I started seriously thinking about moving up to the Turbo, but it now seems like it’s a moot point. I asked my dealer, and they said they had no Turbo build slots left. Oh well.
i got lucky
I rang a few dealers and found one with a build slot that was earlier than the 4s I had ordered!
So I cancelled my 4s

I would prob get the Turbo s if it didn’t mean waiting at least 9 months longer than my Turbo!!!!!!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Well after telling me they had no Turbo allocations, my dealer did an about face and found one. So I changed my order for the 4S to a Turbo (!). I don’t have the build schedule yet, but he said I’d be seeing the Turbo the same or earlier than I’d have had the 4S.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Honestly, if you're at all concerned about resale you really shouldn't buy a Taycan. Percentage wise, the Taycan will have one of (if not THE) worst resale/residual values of any car sold today.

EVs just don't resale well at all, for a number of reasons (evolving technology, limited lifespan of batteries, etc..) and the same goes for 4 door Sports Sedans. Add in the fact that the Taycan will be refreshed, perhaps as far as the entirely new platform, within a few years. I would say it's a certainty that a 2020 Taycan, even in very good condition with lowish mileage, will be worth under 60% of it's MSRP by 2023 and likely much lower than that (possible down to sub 40%).

Buy a Taycan because you intend to get your money's worth from enjoying the car and just can't wait a year or two. Porsche has done an excellent job marketing the car and stirring up hype, but as with anything that hype will die down and reality will set in. Just look at how many allocations are currently available for the Taycan Turbo and 4S, these "waitlists" turned out to be exaggerated and mostly a product of the ultra-rich wanting to get bragging rights with a Turbo S.

It's a fantastic car and you should buy it if you're prepared for an EV and intend to really get value from using it.

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, Tesla Model S (for sale)
Country flag
EVs just don't resale well at all, for a number of reasons (evolving technology, limited lifespan of batteries, etc..)
I agree except one thing. Limited lifespan of batteries will probably not be an issue. Todays battery management systems are really good. Degration is not an issue any more.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Honestly, if you're at all concerned about resale you really shouldn't buy a Taycan. Percentage wise, the Taycan will have one of (if not THE) worst resale/residual values of any car sold today.

EVs just don't resale well at all, for a number of reasons (evolving technology, limited lifespan of batteries, etc..) and the same goes for 4 door Sports Sedans. Add in the fact that the Taycan will be refreshed, perhaps as far as the entirely new platform, within a few years. I would say it's a certainty that a 2020 Taycan, even in very good condition with lowish mileage, will be worth under 60% of it's MSRP by 2023 and likely much lower than that (possible down to sub 40%).

Buy a Taycan because you intend to get your money's worth from enjoying the car and just can't wait a year or two. Porsche has done an excellent job marketing the car and stirring up hype, but as with anything that hype will die down and reality will set in. Just look at how many allocations are currently available for the Taycan Turbo and 4S, these "waitlists" turned out to be exaggerated and mostly a product of the ultra-rich wanting to get bragging rights with a Turbo S.

It's a fantastic car and you should buy it if you're prepared for an EV and intend to really get value from using it.
It’s not that I am “concerned” about resale, it’s that a lightly optioned turbo will have better resale than a heavily optioned 4S - so this can make the upgrade to the turbo a not so stupid investment after all. As is discussed above. Which is why I ended up going with the Turbo.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
I agree except one thing. Limited lifespan of batteries will probably not be an issue. Todays battery management systems are really good. Degration is not an issue any more.
Sorry for bringing up Tesla but I must say that I have had great resale value for every Tesla that I have sold and that has now been 4. I know that most BEVs have bad resale value but I believe that has been a problem of perception by the manufacturer more than the reality and therefore also by the consumer. The manufacturers have simply not seen the BEVs as more than a necessity to comply with certain emissions regulations.... and so have not been interested in seeing them back. This reduces the residual and therefore also resale for everyone. Tesla has had a different theory and propped up the prices initially and the secondhand market has been really good. I believe that Porsche will do the same thing with the Taycan initially because the residual value on a possible lease is quite high which usually means that they expect that the second-hand market will be strong. And obviously, since the supply very likely will be outpaced by demand for the foreseeable future that will also help........

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Just look at how many allocations are currently available for the Taycan Turbo and 4S, these "waitlists" turned out to be exaggerated and mostly a product of the ultra-rich wanting to get bragging rights with a Turbo S.
What dealers have actual allocations available? Not just those that are willing to take a deposit and get a car "soon", but one that takes the non-refundable deposit, place an order and get a build date and commission number?

Do you know a couple of dealers like that?

In several dealers on the west coast, they told me the wait was 12-18 months. If it were shorter, I am sure they would have taken my money.

Persuader

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4s, Range Rover Sport, Jaguar F-Type, Renault Kangoo
Country flag
Predicted residuals in the UK are very good and substantially better than what they are for the Panamera.

OP
OP

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
What dealers have actual allocations available? Not just those that are willing to take a deposit and get a car "soon", but one that takes the non-refundable deposit, place an order and get a build date and commission number?

In several dealers on the west coast, they told me the wait was 12-18 months. If it were shorter, I am sure they would have taken my money.
Many dealers had allocations in the US, I don’t think there’s a list. At this point, the allocations everywhere have been gobbled up, but there are likely still some openings. Much tougher in CA though. My dealer (in Mass) told me that fully half of all EVs sold in the US are in CA.

paladin732

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Lucid
Country flag

There are several in socal and even a few in northern California. I found one in Arizona also.

What state are you looking in? I can tell you which dealers I found depending.

paladin732

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Lucid
Country flag
Northern cal
As of last week: Sacramento (niello) has a couple. Theirs is April production. Sales person is Zach mongston.
Walnut Creek has one, but their deposit is an insane 10%
If you are willing to drive: Porsche south bay and Porsche downtown LA both have March allocations available

These are all turbo btw.

epirali

First Name
Edmund
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS Etron GT, Jaguar I-Pace, BMW i8, ex Taycan TTS
Country flag
Used but at retail and without the $7500 Federal credit, so marked up?

Skystorm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS
Country flag
As of last week: Sacramento (niello) has a couple. Theirs is April production. Sales person is Zach mongston.
Walnut Creek has one, but their deposit is an insane 10%
If you are willing to drive: Porsche south bay and Porsche downtown LA both have March allocations available

These are all turbo btw.
We all pay 10% deposition in Sweden.. $20.000
Sponsored